1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Socially distanced interview lesson

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by lizzie_gaskin, Jun 24, 2020.

1. lizzie_gaskin

lizzie_gaskin New commenter

I’ve been invited to teach a 20 minute socially distanced lesson to a bubble of 15 children and was wondering if anyone has done the same and has any advice? It’s for English or maths and the age range hasn’t been confirmed yet so was just looking for some general tips!

2. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

Surprised with this. I would presume it is YR, Y1 or Y6 (or mixed keyworker children) as I don't know of any schools who have brought back any other year groups (although there is the possibility that they have). I would advise that if you require them to have any resources (not of your own as you wouldn't be able to touch it then give it to them) that you ask if this is possible beforehand. If it were me, I would not rely on the use of any resources for them. They will have their own resources such as pencils, whiteboards and pens, books etc but definitely check because they won't be able to give anything out from a stash on the day. Unfortunately, partner work is near impossible as they have to raise voices to be heard two metres away. Difficult situation. Come back when you know the year group and then someone can possibly help you to adapt an idea you can come up with that will work in the current situation. Hope it goes well for you. Perhaps they are getting people in to do socially distanced lessons to see how well they can adapt to how teaching might possibly look come September.

3. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

I'm also surprised at this. Surely the idea of bubbles is to avoid all non-essential contact?

4. lizzie_gaskin

lizzie_gaskin New commenter

It’s for a year 5 class and I was thinking about doing an outside drama activity but I didn’t think about distance and children having to raise their voice so I’m back to thinking of ideas! I’m surprised at being invited to the school too but I live within walking distance so maybe that plays into it..

5. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

No you being within walking distance hasn't got anything to do with it. The issue is inviting someone outside of the bubble into a classroom but also asking you to do a teaching task in a really strange situation. I would either suggest asking if you can have access to w/b and pens or pens and paper and working on an area of year 5 sentence related objectives so that they are all contributing to some sort of shared write or a short maths reasoning/problem solving activity accessible to all i.e which is the odd one out and they have to find an answer and explain their reasoning. Outside space is carefully managed so you are probably very much restricted to whatever space and set up they give you. Absolutely do not ask the children to move from wherever they are placed. This is definitely doable and I hope I haven't put you off. Just take care to think through the fact that they cannot share any resources or move near each other and no activities that involve them touching their faces if you were thinking about action type activities. Very best of luck.