1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SOCIAL SKILLS ideas urgently needed for small group in EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mindthegap, Mar 18, 2019.

1. mindthegap

mindthegap New commenter

Hi,
    I am urgently needing ideas for a group of 3-4 children in EYFS to help them develop social skills- starting with taking turns. I'd love some suggestions for (hopefully) free online resources or even just suggestions for games to play. I'm not used to this age group so have been landed out of my comfort zone! Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Orchard Games have a huge variety and they have been fab for my class.
    I play with them every day (we probably have about 8-9 games) and only the last few weeks have the more socially able started to play the games independently.

I'm with you in the 'out of my comfort zone' issue!

Early years HQ have some printable board games and probably twi nkl does too.

I should add that this doesn't ensure perfect turn taking and sharing...some days it is like a zoo, only more loud and crazy! But on the whole it helps.

3. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

A quick google of psed circle time should give you loads of ideas you can use with a small group. Make sure your labellingbthe social skills you want to see with lots of praise for all children . We have CoEL dinosaurs and have added a social skills one. Unfortunately lots of parents don’t realise that social skills are learnt, and more and more children just don’t know how.