1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Social Policy

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by twinklinlilstar, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    Was wondering if anyone could help me. I am in the final year of a degree in Early Years and Education and am currently studying social policy.

For one of our learning outcomes we must debate this statement:

'The development of current social policy owes more to the fabric of society than it does to political influence.'
    Help!

2. A start might be to define the term 'fabric of society' - a pretty woolly concept. Do you have a clear idea of its meaning?
    John Major defined the fabric of society in terms of "the country of long shadows on cricket grounds, warm beer, invincible green suburbs, dog lovers and pools fillers, and 'Old maids bicycling to holy communion through the morning mist", which I can't imagine is what your essay-title tormenter has in mind.
    Social democrats might define the fabric of society quite differently and proto-Marxists differently again.
    Current social policy is in some turmoil at the moment, in any event.
    Don't envy you this one.