1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Social, moral, spiritual and cultural awareness... with maths?!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Nimstar, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am after some inspiration! I've been asked to do a presentation (I am a PGCE student) demonstrating how my subject (maths) promotes "the social, moral, spiritual and cultural development of the students" and not really sure where to start. Can anyone help give me a jump-start??
    Thanks,
    Nim

2. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

Theres loads to do with that - you just have to look. History of Maths is a good place to start, and if you gauge it right, kids really enjoy it.

3. This book would be a good start for you. If you don't have time to order it, the page shows some topics in the book you could research on your own.
    For example, in Bath Water, the exercise is to work out the volums of a bathful of water, and to work out how long a child in African who has to walk however-many miles for a bucket of water would take to fetch that much water.
    There's one that shows information about an average day in the life of a child working in a Third World factory and in vites the students to draw a pie chart of it as well as one showing their own typical day.
    It's a good book. It doesn't moralise or preach.
    Also stuff about the history of maths as said above. They are usually astounded to learn it wasn't us Europeans who invented all maths!!

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/books_details.asp?BookID=10

4. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

"Maths in other cultures" is a good way of tackling this - areas that could be good to mention are
    number systems - Roman, Arabic etc - you could compare how numbers are written in different languages/scripts;
    famous Mathematicians from other cultures - eg Al'Khwarizmi
    how an understanding of Maths helps us appreciate the wonder of the world around us - eg golden ratio in Art/architecture, Fibonacci in nature, islamic Art, etc

5. St Andrew's website has stuff on mathematicians, including quite a bit on female mathematicians including Ada Lovelace and Sophie Germaine.

6. Which St Andrews? My form have to do a maths-based assembly - the female mathematicians sounds useful!

7. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Google 'history of maths St Andrews' and it's the first one .MacTutor.

Whilst there have a look at the Famous curves index. I can 'waste' lots of time on that site.

8. Thanks to everyone who posted - it's given me some great starting points, and I'm just putting together a little presentation now for my class. [​IMG]

Nim

9. sorry - coming in late, but if you're looking at mactutor, bramagupta and/or history of indian maths - story of zero is fascinating
    our numerals are more correctly called hindu-arabic numerals
    (i work in a school with a high proportion of kids from indian sub-continent families, so they love this on)

10. Thank you very much for posting this. It looked good, I showed it to my HOD and we're ordering a couple of copies for the department. I'm looking forward to reading and using it.

11. skintbint

skintbint New commenter

12. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

As an NQT I was pleasantly surprised to get this standard ticked off by an observer in a lesson the other week. It was on stats, and the use of them in everyday situations. We discussed the merits and limitations of the use of various statistics, how they can be misleading, and how to think about the use of statistics in a more rigorous way. Apparently that counts in terms of promoting all that stuff!