1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Social media site displaying your real name and the street where you live.... allowed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by stopwatch, Aug 7, 2018.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

We have a very useful neighbourhood site called 'Nextdoor'. This is used to buy and sell, advertise social events, ask for recommendations for e.g. builders, gardeners etc etc.

I have been on this now for around 5 years, but have used a pseudonym - like we do here on TES. The reason for this is that the site insists as part of it's rules that your street address is displayed on every post you put and on your accessible profile as well as your real name - which I feel is potentially unsafe. As this is a neighbourhood site, it would be easy for somebody to find you/your house if they really wanted to.

Anyway, somebody has 'snitched' on me for using a pseudonym and the site have suspended me saying that the only way I can go back on is to use my real name. A bit pathetic in my mind.

Anyway, my question is twofold:

1) Has anybody had experience of similar?
    2) Does anybody know how their ruling fits in with data protection and good practice.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If membership of the site is dependent upon full visibility then you either abide by those rules or start another site!

They can't "out" you without your permission but they can blackball you.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd leave the site.

Otherwise it's an invitation for burglars (and may invalidate your house insurance: 'So, Mr Stopwatch, you posted on line that you were out at a social event having also advertised that you have an expensive TV etc to sell...Well, we're sorry to tell you that....!)

4. stopwatch

I hadn't even thought of that aspect!

It is looking like I will leave the site as I think that they are being a bit patronising in the way they are handling my request. I have asked them how they know everybody else is using their real name - John Smith? Robert Brown? Cornelius Snodgrass? but they haven't answered that one.

My concern is that, anybody who might want to trace where I am, would be able to come round to my house and give me a bunch of roses, or a thump on the nose. It just doesn't seem to be a secure and safe approach.

Their rationale is that they want the neighbourhood (approximately 2 square miles) site to be open and honest and friendly with real names and addresses - but I think that this is a bit naive in this day and age.

5. stopwatch

By 'out' me, do you mean give my address? They have closed my account until I give my real name

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

7. stopwatch

You can choose to have your house number omitted, but have to have your street name included in your open profile. Our street has about 16 houses. I think (though I am not sure) that there may be access to a map which pinpoints the location - I'll need to double check that one

8. LeftTheBuilding

LeftTheBuilding Occasional commenter

I joined, but deleted my account after a couple of weeks. One of the things I didn't like was that I wasn't allowed to choose the neighbourhood to which I was assigned. I ended up being linked to an area that I don't live in!

stopwatch likes this.
  9. stopwatch

The site I use was originally called 'Streetlife' (same concept) and this was then taken over by 'Nextdoor'. I found Streetlife a lot more user friendly and was a lot more active than Nextdoor. I was also allowed not to put my exact address, but just my locality.

I understand why the admin need your accurate details for their records and in case of any wrongdoing, I just don't see why your real name and real address (street name) have to be accessible by all.

Bumptious likes this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, the legalities refereed to by @nomad seem pretty comprehensive and not difficult to understand.

But, if you want to join the club, you have to follow the rules.

Links to Google maps etc are normally slightly inaccurate. But, if you have good home security, I wouldn't worry overmuch. Give the street name but not the number.

Having said that though? I wouldn't. I was on that site in its previous incarnation and I left it for the same reason.

I have also recently severed a connection with an LGBT Facebook page that insists on being an open group. Their rules. Their preference. Not mine. So I have left!

stopwatch and nomad like this.
  11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

There might be a Data Protection issue here.

A quick call to the ICO will tell you.

12. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

There's not a data protection issue if you are giving your permission for them to use your name and street. It's like many other sites now in that if you choose not to give permission, you cannot use the service. That is not a breach of data protection.

13. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

It is utterly legal. Joining the site is voluntary, not compulsory, and therefore by joining it you will be giving your consent. If you don't advise by terms, they are fully justified to suspend your account.

koopatroopa likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't think I'd want to be part of a local social media site that identified me personally, or for that matter, Facebook. I value my privacy too much.

As an estate manager, it isn't uncommon for me to get complaints from one or two residents about others. Often they are trying to bully by proxy.

Many years ago, a neighbour set up a neighbourhood watch scheme. It soon became apparent that what she really wanted, was to poke her nose into everyone's business and gossip.

People can be fun to chat with, but they can also behave strangely at times, as we've witnessed on here.

Anonymous social media of the type we have on TES, is the only sort I'd subscribe to.

15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Can't say I've noticed :D

1 person likes this.
  16. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I think it can go both ways. Sometimes anonymity is the problem and making people identify themselves is the solution.