1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Social media pros and cons

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by nearly_there, Sep 14, 2012.

1. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

Hi
    I work in a school that has a near blanket ban on any types of social media twitter, Facebook ect. By that I mean the school is in no way linked to any Facebook, twitter or blog type websites. Staff members, pupils and parents do use these sites in their personal lives but SLT are very nervous about staff having Facebook pages. Their main concerns are safeguarding concerns and about how these sites could link staff to our school and ultimately to the pupils. However of the staff I am "friends" with on Facebook 99% are very responsible and never mention the school name, pupils, incidents at work and are not friends with parents or pupils (past or present). A lot of our staff wear a uniform (polo shirt) with the school name on and could easily be linked to the school simply by shopping in their school uniform after work.
    Although I heed all the advice about internet safety I was wondering if we are missing a trick and instead of ignoring and banning these sites we can use them to our advantage. To our pupils and parents these are the means they use the most to communicate with each other. I also think that by acknowledging this we could teach our pupils about how to stay safe on social media site a lot better. Obviously I don't mean having pupils surfing Facebook within school.
    Do any other schools use social media in a positive way to communicate with pupils/parents and if so what measures have you had to take to ensure pupil and staff e-safety and not expose anyone to any safeguarding issues?
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    N_T

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

How can you allow access to facebook and not allow them to surf it at the same time?

3. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Have a look at the various "Social Media" policies of schools as there are a wealth of them available. We've got one, though it's in an early draft stage and only includes interaction and general use. I've got a twitter account just for school use, as do many other teachers. Facebook I wouldn't bother with in school - just sign up an edmodo or use a VLE if you want to go down that route....

4. Sounds like you have an educated, well-informed and insightful leadership.
    The clue is in the name: 'Social Media'.
    They're not called 'Educational Media' are they?

5. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

No, but anti-social != educational.