1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

social media awareness is needed in schools...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by denaro23, Nov 5, 2017.

1. denaro23

denaro23 New commenter

Social media is a huge issue in society and it is taking over the world. The kids growing up in todays era need a better understanding of the positive and negatives of social media. i think we need to introduce social media awareness in main stream schools.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Where do you propose fitting it in. Or what do you propose we drop to make room?

3. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Internet safety is taught ad nauseum in junior schools.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Maybe the parents who give their children tablets or smartphones need to take some responsibility here? ;)

5. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Actually, although internet safety is taught vis a vis predators(although not named as such at primary) and bullying, there is no teaching of healthy use of the internet, the dangers of internet addiction etc.

denaro23 likes this.
  6. denaro23

denaro23 New commenter

its very true
    social media awareness its a huge part of kids life aswell as education, some of these kids have a huge amount off followers with know idea who is following them, we need to do youth lead projects on the awareness and dangers on how snapchat,instagram it can be an addiction and even form into depresssion and stress.

7. denaro23

denaro23 New commenter

internet safety yes but i wanna see schools target the social media side of things such as facebook,instagram,snapchat etc its a huge issues some parents do not know the half of what they kids are seeing on these social sites.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Are you going to train the staff first.
    101 What is social media?

galerider123 likes this.
  9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Always taught this. So it is there in many schools. may now be reduced with the switch from ICT to Computing.

galerider123 likes this.
  10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

All the schools I know about are trying to address this.

11. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Occasional commenter

Awareness? The only thing that the students need to be made aware of is the age restrictions for social media - they know everything else better than me. But why is this ANOTHER thing that is the responsibility of schools? How about we make it the responsibility of Facebook or Twitter instead? They are the only ones that can monitor what's going on, I can't.
    If "social media" was a local youth centre where the students went outside of school, and there were constant arguments/fights/fallings out over what happened there, I'd be wanting the youth centre to be doing something to sort it out. Yes, I'd try to educate them* of the possible risks of such youth centres but as others have pointed out, we already do that (with respect to social media, if anyone had lost the analogy!)

Edit - *them = the students

12. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

Many young people attach more credibility to the opinions of their peers and family, than they do to what 'the teacher' says.

You could try explaining to them how using social media can sometimes work against you:

Donald Trump + Twitter = :eek: