1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SOCIAL MEDIA AND PUPILS

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ACOYEAR8, Oct 1, 2020.

1. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Is it the remit of schools to intervene when students/pupils are involved in abusive behaviour on social media ?
    Youngsters always flout the age restrictions, often with the complicity of parents and then expect the school to sort things out ? (WhatsApp, for example has a minimum age of 16.....)
    What do you think? What's your school policy ?

2. WB

WB Star commenter

Can open, worms everywhere.

ajrowing, agathamorse and alex_teccy like this.
  3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Masters usually turned a blind eye at boarding school to the boys that kept a copy of H&E under their pillow.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If it is brought to our attention, impacts on activities in school or involves criminality... yes...

Depends on the term "abusive" quite heavily.

peter12171 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

And that is another can of worms entirely.

6. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

I'm retired now but my experience was that parents would often expect school to deal with these situations rather than try to deal with it. Usually on the basis that someone had been abusive to their child on line and the child was frightened to come to school.

As others have said total can of worms, no easy solutions, and after all many so called adults don't show any control or responsibility on social media.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Unfortunately, so called ‘parents’ expect schools to do too much of the parenting in today’s modern times. When things continue to go wrong, they insist that this is the schools responsibility and also their fault. It’s crazy.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Retired now, so not actively involved in any pupil social media issues. However, when a head we had a policy that pupils' phones needed permission to be brought into school and then were lodged with the office until the end of the day.

Parents were regularly sent information about social media safety, online bullying, etc., and were invited to parents' evenings on the subject during internet safety week.

The school's broadband provider blocked all pupils' use of social media so, in theory, no incidents could take place at school.

So, when parents wanted the school to sort out problems we just pointed out that the incident was an out of school problem and referred them to the police if necessary.

There was one time when I got fed up with pupils hiding phones in their lockers and took an old mobile (of mine) into an assembly, told then it was a pupil's phone found and confiscated, and then smashed it with a hammer. Come break time, a dozen were hurriedly handed in to the office. :D

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Unless this was back when many of the pupils didn't have mobiles, how was this manageable? Was it a primary or small high school? I could see that the office might cope then, but if you had two thousand pupils, all needing their phones at 3.15 before the buses left, I don't see how office staff could have coped-even if you'd ten staff dealing with it, that would have been 200 phones each...
    Surely rules about social media should be set at government level? If a pupil brought in alcohol/drugs or anything else that was illegal for their age, it could be a criminal matter. Yes social media is arguably more dangerous. Growing up was hard enough, but at least our first dates weren't splashed all over the place. Child stars have struggled with the media, now effectively every child is like that, as all the people who matter to them read their posts, and unlike newspapers, they won't be wrapped round chips the next day.

agathamorse and smoothnewt like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Love it! Great idea.

TheoGriff and Bungie like this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Where there's a will.
    At one school I taught at, the HT said yes, kids could bring a phone to school but it would have to be handed in at the office and collected at the end of the day. Because of the numbers involved, students would have to arrive on site 20 minutes earlier than usual to ensure they got to Lesson 1 on time. If a phone was found to be in the students' possession in a lesson, the parents would be called to come and take the child home. And he did.

He got all hands on deck for the phone collection but at the end of the school day, it was him and 2 reception staff handing them back. Took about an hour.

The vast majority of students just stopped bringing them.

TheoGriff, agathamorse and Bungie like this.
  12. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Unfortunately, so called ‘parents’ expect schools to do too much of the parenting in today’s modern times. When things continue to go wrong, they insist that this is the schools responsibility and also their fault. It’s crazy.
    There is absolutely nothing "modern" about parents funking their tasks, especially when unpopularity is in question. As a young teacher half a century ago I was told by a parent [in a private school, no less] that I "must be very strict with young Tarquin, as he does as he pleases at home". She got very shirty when I pointed out that the school fees covered my teaching him, not bringing him up. And it was in a middle class leafy-suburb comprehensive in the 1980s that I was asked to deal with Nadine's smoking, Roberta's under-age drinking, and Jonathan's penchant for soft **** on the grounds that "s/he thinks the world of you so it will come better from you." My response "why do they respect me more than they respect you?" went down equally poorly.

13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As @Katzenjammer implied, 'twas ever thus'. When I started teaching, in the late Seventies, there was a very long-serving member of staff in the science department, nudging retirement, who had, in his own words, 'seen most things'. He described a meeting with a estranged set of parents, brought together with great difficulty, to discuss their child's 'wayward behaviour'. Apparently, the father disclaimed any responsibility, explaining, "Not down to me. I was doing a 'one-r' in the Scrubbs last year."