1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Social life & making new friends

Discussion in 'Personal' started by arl17, Apr 17, 2019.

1. arl17

arl17 New commenter

I’ve been teaching for a few years in several schools now & have met some wonderful people, however I’m keen to know how much of a social life other teachers really have - mine is virtually non-existent considering my workload and looking after my home and it’s really starting to get me down. A lot of the teachers I’ve worked with have come from abroad and have gone back to their home countries, so seeing a lot of them is very hard on a regular basis. Any tips on how to regain a social life and where I can make some new friends?

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not sure I can help, really, as when I was teaching my social life was limited.

BUT, I stayed in touch with a lot of friends from university, and every so often we'd meet up - New Year was always an occasion, and usually two or three times in the year some of us would get together.

And I also made a number of good friends at the various schools where I worked, so we'd go out for meals as and when we could find the time.

But it wasn't much of a social life, to be honest, when I was working.

So all I can suggest is find another job, which doesn't consume all your waking hours.

agathamorse and dunnocks like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Join meetup.com or something similar and go to events in your area.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If you have an interest (sporting, cultural, craft related etc), then join a local group?

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Or come to a TES meet!

1 person likes this.