1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Social Emotional Behaviour Difficulties

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by whitlj01, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Do you feel like you have been given the right resources and training to teach students with SEBD?
    Also what stratergies have you been asked or advised to use and is there much support from other areas to help teach these children in mainstream or do they need to a PRU?
    Would just like some help on this subject really, not recieved much help on this subject yet.

2. Do you feel like you have been given the right resources and training to teach students with SEBD?
    Also what stratergies have you been asked or advised to use and is there much support from other areas to help teach these children in mainstream or do they need to a PRU?
    Would just like some help on this subject really, not recieved much help on this subject yet.

3. I work in a pupil referral unit with students with SEBD year 7-11. PRAISE is the number one thing.
    The difficulty is that some mainstream schools are excellent with dealing with challenging behaviour in a positive manor, and then on the other hand some are unwilling or unable to support students with SEBD. I would say staff are under trained to deal with challenging behaviour.
    The issue with suggesting strategies is that all students with SEBD can be complex, they are all different, and even more exasperating one day the strategy works and the next is not working.
    The main thing I would like to get over is consistency, certainty and communication with discipline with a small d. I find if a student knows whats going to happen if I do a or b, or I know what I need to do this lesson that goes a long way. You still going to have problems but instead of extreme behaviour you have low level sort of stuff that can be managed. They are never going to completely behave.
    If you need support with a particular student, educational psychologist, CAMHS and behaviour support services can be so useful. Feel free to message me as well.