1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Social Anxiety and a PGCE...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by greasychipbuttie, Aug 1, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

I’ve been offered a place!! Delighted.

This isn’t the first time, 2018 I had a place, started but couldn’t cope...

...12 months on, I’ve got a place again! Really positive interview with course tutors etc

I’ve lost nearly 2 stone in weight, feel better in myself but I still really struggle with social anxiety! To the point I now question accepting my place!

When I work with children in the class, not even close to the same anxiety.

Last year, I couldn’t cope with the volume of new people, constant changing of groups and judging myself against others. Become too much, I couldn’t be in a lecture theatre or classroom without the constant sweating and being self aware! My self esteem is low but exercise is helping!

Prior to applying again, I felt positive, thought the weight loss would help, but at the interview I really struggled with the other candidates (something I realised from last year...I just become so self aware and conscious and sweat loads - it’s a vicious, embarrassing cycle!)

Is the course going to be achievable? I’ve had great feedback from other staff about how I work with children and the way i interact but I just can’t relax amongst peers!

I’ve decided that I will make a firm decision to start or walk away but it’s so disappointing to feel that social anxiety will stop me having a great opportunity?!

Any advice / help would be great received!

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Have you received professional help in the last 12 months?

3. greasychipbuttie

In haven’t to be honest...I didn’t realise this was the issue until I started reading up about it.

I thought it was more about my weight...which is part of the cycle. Weight gain = loss of confidence and self esteem = more withdrawn socially and in life in general.

When I’m in a classroom, doesn’t even cross my mind, the minute I’m amongst peers and adults, self conscious version of me kicks in!!

4. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Think about why you want to do teaching. Focus on the positive.

greasychipbuttie likes this.
  5. greasychipbuttie

100% that’s what my partner said!

It’s 60 odd days @ University, to think of coping mechanisms.

Throughout my TA, support work, I’ve always held positive relationships and had great feedback regarding my suitability! That’s what my partner struggles with...it’s my mind telling me “I can’t”

Now I feel I have the “root” cause, to start, I’ve just got to take it a session at a time.

I enjoyed what I was learning last year, I just couldn’t concentrate or focus on my learning as I simply spent the whole time in “anxiety ball” and I want to be able to throw myself in!

Being “mature” and a male in Primary, I just struggled to make connections with others and then made it a big issue in my mind.

That’s my issue. I did love the practical learning and the tutors were good! (And said this on my interview - the support I received was good and made me comfortable to reapply!)

6. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Could I suggest either CBT therapy, medication for anxiety or beta blockers. Many, many teachers have, did and will experience high levels of anxiety during training and especially for observations. Regrettably there's no way of avoiding them so a different strategy is required.

The focus needs to be moved from feeling like you're the focus of attention and internalising that sensation, to one of looking outside at what you can see. People really are too selfish to be spending their time judging you, that's your own internal dialogue going on.

Please try beta blockers, low dosage. They block the adrenalin receptors and give you the chance to get on, get past the heart pounding and help you get past the panic. Take one day at a time, congratulate yourself on the tasks that go well and don't brood on the things that don't. Look at them, see what you would do next time then put it behind you and move on.

Be your own best friend.

Lucy2711 and greasychipbuttie like this.
  7. greasychipbuttie

Thank you for your advice?

Where can I source “beta blockers?”

Or do I have to go via my GP?

Thanks

8. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Yes. If you go, describe your anxiety, heart racing etc and ask for the beta blockers if they aren't offered to you. Practice breathing techniques for anxiety and use them - belly breathing I call it. Breathe in for 5, hold for 7, breathe out slowly for 11 (ish).

greasychipbuttie likes this.
  9. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

CBT is very good, ask your GP, but certainly getting some form of professional help is best. Having some strategies to help you will be very beneficial.