1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Soap vs hand wash/shower gel.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, May 26, 2019.

?

Do you use/prefer soap or hand wash liquid/shower gel?

1. Soap

2. Hand wash/shower gel

3. Both

4. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Which is your preference and what's the impact on the environment?

I was just thinking about this as I cleaned the soap dish and wondered how many people the sale of gel employs and the extent to which the expensive yet convenient gels took from the soap market, I also considered their respective environmental impacts... Hmm... Small things.

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Soap by the sink. Shower gel in the shower. Liquid soap by the kitchen sink because it's easier to cope with it when you have greasy hands.
    But I buy refills and recycle all bottles. And the soap bars I buy are from things like craft fairs, so locally made and fairly environmentally friendly.

needabreak likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Always soaps. Including a shampoo bar. No more plastic bottles for me.

4. needabreak

Are the refills reasonably priced and can you post a link since it's something I'd consider but since bodyshop stopped refilling in shops in the 80s (pretty much when I stopped shopping there and certainly after it floated) I haven't considered where to go to buy refills for them.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Tesco's own brand hand wash is 50p for half a litre or so - as opposed to 40 p for a tiny bar of hard soap.

My friend bought 6 of them as she was convinced the price was in error.

It was not.

6. needabreak

Similar to own brand shampoo and own brand anything really... though agreed it's an odd anomaly in the comparison.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I have a liquid soap thing on each sink. It lasts several years.
    I don't use anything in the shower other than shampoo. WAY too itchy even to consider.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do you have difficulty finding these in the supermarket? I can't recall seeing them on the shelves for some time. I'm not saying they aren't sold, but the vast majority of the shelves in that section seem to be filled with plastic bottles.

9. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

You can get refill bottles that are not plastic?
    But we all managed in the past with bars of soap. It's not a big sacrifice to make to save a planet.

FormosaRed likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I can remember when bars of soap were sold loose. I can also remember when people wet a new bar and rubbed what was left of the old bar onto it to use it up in its entirety.

If I had to hazard a guess why the move to liquid soaps occurred, it will have been to make production far more efficient and profitable, but marketed as consumer convenience.

11. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

DoY, I still do that! A hangover from my mum's thrifty ways! I love bars of soap and my favourite ones are by Roger et Gallet (shockingly priced at about £5 a bar, but I get them as Christmas/Birthday presents.

towncryer likes this.
  12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Liquid soap is much more convenient.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

When the sliver got too small to use, my mother put it in an enamel mug. When the mug was full, she melted it down, poured it into a fudge tin and cut it into new bars.
    We were poor but we were 'appy. And clean.

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I get refills from Tesco, and they use less plastic than the bottles, so are an improvement of sorts.
    But I was in a Body Shop only last week and they are bringing back the refill thing! They will also give you a £5 (I think) voucher if you bring in five (I think) bottles to be recycled, not even their own ones. I now realise I should have listened better.
    Lush do shampoo bars and so on.

FormosaRed and needabreak like this.
  15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I have to buy linalool and fragrance free so I buy in bulk and decant then recycle the big bottles. I love soaps but sadly you can't trace the 'provenance' of the essential oils so I no longer use them.

needabreak likes this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Liquid soap by the kitchen sink, bars in the bathroom. I'll look out for a shampoo bar next time I need some, Mrs.M. is a bit precious about what she uses.

The economy of liquid soap is more to do with how much it dispenses than how much it costs and varies enormously. Most of the dispensers give a bigger squirt than needed which gets through it faster even when you anticipate it and try to just get a small squirt.

17. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Soap but it has to be cruelty free so body shop and a local store which makes handmade soaps. Expensive but they smell wonderful.

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You can buy bottles that convert bits of old soap into liquid soap, and others that dilute liquid soap and dispense as a foam, which you then rub over your hands before washing in water.

needabreak likes this.
  19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

liquid soap in shared places, as soap spreads too many germs. I agree with refillable bottles though, that is a must

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I can remember my gran buying soap in bricks then cutting an inch off the end to use.