1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So you want to return to teaching in the UK?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jennifer longhu, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Although I have not posted here before, I have read the advice on this thread with interest for some time. I am an experienced Head of Department who has been teaching in a European International school for the last 3/4 years and wish to return to the UK. I sent off a couple of unsuccessful applications before Christmas (wasn't even shortlisted) so took the advice of adding the Postscript suggested earlier in this forum: I am planing to return soon to the UK for personal reasons/ happy to combine with call to interview etc and lo and behold landed a job not long afterwards.
    I do recommend this approach then, although of course other factors in your application are just as important too. Personally, I managed to find a private school with a forward-looking head who is more than happy to acknowledge my time abroad and career progression as valuable (having been to private school myself too also helped though I'm sure). All this of course I reflected in my letter of application.
    So, I wish to encourage other returners to the UK that it is far from imposible to land a job from a distance; I was mentally preparing myself for doing supply from September but am very glad to not have to do this now. I think also resisting the temptation to fire off applications to all and everywhere is important; a good, personalised application takes a long time and may well be more beneficial. Happy job-hunting!

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

3. alan1

alan1 New commenter

Hi,

just wanted to ask you how you are getting on in your job now that you have returned to the UK. Was it easy to slip back into teaching in the UK?

4. Well, as expected moving back is not easy. I have not had the time to read forums like this for example, which is perhaps indicative of the higher workload here than on the international circuit. I certainly don't regret the move back, but also look back fondly on the more relaxed international environment as well as better weather and cheaper beer. Things hadn't moved on much pedagocially here ; in fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the way in which my school abroad was some way ahead of the school I came back to.
    So in the end for me it comes down to a choice of where you want to live, bearing in mind family commitments etc. Also, having worked abroad, it remains an appealing direction that you can easily move back into in the future.

5. Are there any teaching jobs in the UK? If you have a job abroad then please stay aboard.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

7. Thank you kind...moderator. Is that the right word?. [​IMG]

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nope.

I am most certainly not a TES moderator!