1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So you want to return to teaching in the UK?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jennifer longhu, Jun 17, 2006.

1. There are lots of reasons why people choose to move back to the UK, even if being abroad has been good.
    My brother has just gone back after some time in Europe ..put his CV online at CV library and got calls from loads of agencies and recruiters. He got back to England last Wednesday and has had two interviews already (with callbacks for a second interview for both) and three interviews lined up for next week. He's not a shortage subject teacher, but is flexible as to location.
    I'm not sure that anyone who only has private school experience could cope with some comprehensives, but, I have to say that a money grabbing, results driven international school can also turn you into a bit of a robot.
    Also, there are lots of new training intiatives for 14-19 yr olds and a big shedload of supply work as far as I can see.
    Don't fancy it myself though.

2. Hi Yasi!
    Yes, very very busy, in Overseas Education mainly, but not entirely. Have seen Mainwaring a couple of times, went to stay with him and Mrs M in their paradise. . .
    And where are you and young Yasi now?
    Best wishes

3. A lot of changes in the UK recently.... like the Master of Teaching and Learning, the 5-year licence to work, Personal Learning and Thinking skills in SoW (Independent Enquirers, Team Workers, Creative Thinkers, Reflective Learners, Self Managers, Effective participators) etc....

4. I meant England, of course!

5. OMG!!! Sounds like some education minister has borrowed some IB bolleaux and is peddling it as reform.

6. Lovely being retired from all that . . . and in the independent sector you can safely ignore the Flash-In-The-Pan initiatives . . .
    Especially as the moment there´s an election, there´ll be a completely new set of initiatives from the Conservatives.

7. mazda1

mazda1 New commenter

Hi,

I have been offered a post abroad which i am probably going to accept. However, when I return to the uk will I struggle to find a job. Or will this add to my cv rather than taking away from it. I really concerned about this so any replys would be much appreciated.
    thanks alot

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Can we assume that you've read the whole of this useful thread?
    A lot depends on you. A piece of advice I've just given to my son: Proof-read everything you write, even informal emails (and, for that matter posts on the TES Forum). This will help to develop correct habits and ensure that when you do begin to apply for your next job you don't start out by giving the wrong impression. I'm thinking about:
    I not i
    UK or U.K. not uk
    CV or C.V. not cv
    replies, not replies
    ? not .
    There are other issues involved in re-entry to the UK, one of which can be your teaching subject. Physicists and Mathematicians, in my experience, have usually had an advantage, though I've known elderly English teachers to walk straight into 'home' jobs.

9. Mainwaring

PS: 'a lot' and 'alot' are entirely different things:

Now I adore that girl with passion tender
    And would not yield her with a ready will
    Or her alot, if I did not adore myself
    With passion tend'rer still.

10. Thought I'd bring this up for Rebecs.

11. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

To add my pinch of salt - it really depends on the individual. I employed an excellent history teacher in Shanghai for two years (previously she had been in Dubai and Switzerland and the USA after she had left the UK). She essentially started applying for positions as soon as she returned to the UK in July and was able to secure a grammar school (proper old one) post for the following January. So the subject is important, but it is also vital that you can do the face-to-face and that your references are partly UK based, you have your CRB checks (or the equivalent) and you are flexible - and that means you are happy to work across the UK. Lots of factors to consider, but the international experience can be a really rewarding one and can add a lot of vital experience in making you more attractive to potential schools. A scatter gun approach to applications also is not really rewarding; try to tailor your application as much as possible to the post and the school.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well said!
    If you have been working out of the UK for over a year, you will need, in addition to a UK CRB check, some sort of Police check from the country that you were in - try and get it before you leave, in many cases I guess it would be nigh impossible to get it once you have returned to the UK.
    Why is a CRB Disclosure not always sufficient for those who have lived abroad?
    4.67. CRB Disclosures will not generally show offences committed by individuals whilst living abroad (except in the case of service personnel and their families, as detailed in paragraph 4.73). Therefore, in addition to an enhanced CRB Disclosure, additional checks such as obtaining certificates of good conduct from relevant embassies or police forces are necessary.
    The level of information contained in these certificates varies from country to country: some are complete extracts from the criminal record; others are partial.

You also need to be available for interviews in the UK, which usually means that you cannot begin job hunting until you have returned.
    Interviews
    3.35. The interview should assess the merits of each candidate against the job requirements, and explore their suitability to work with children. The selection process for people who will work with children should always include a face-to-face interview even if there is only one candidate.

The above quotes are from the Govt publication Safeguarding children and safer recruitment in education.
    Advice on how to write an application for a post in the UK can be found in the JobSeekers section of the TES. Schools are advised that they should not ask for CVs from candidates, although some independent schools haven't caught up with this yet, and are still asking for them.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/290673.aspx
    I certainly valued international experience in teachers, and appointed several from overseas. Best wishes.

13. Mainwaring

14. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year, Jennifer and Captain. May the Andalucia sun shine on you...

15. Mainwaring

¡Gracias Miguel!
    Chilly here but only a dusting of snow as yet. Parkier in Madrid, I imagine.

16. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

We're in Zahara de los Atunes. The sun shone all morning and the beach was deserted. Life's good! Tomorrow, Gibraltar -- to feed my marmite addiction...

17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Here in the UAE, it's a pleasant 28 degrees in the sun. It looks as though Mrs Hippopotamus and I will be spending Christmas somewhere in Oman, camping in a quiet wadi and having a glass or two by the fire.

18. I have been working in the Middle East but I have only been teaching here for 7 months-do I still need a letter from this country stating I have no criminal record etc?

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I would get one anyway (unless you DO have a criminal record?) [​IMG]

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It´s quite a short time lapse for your previous UK CRB to get out of date - invigilators who do the January exams need another one for the summer - so 7 months will certainly be considered a non-employment in UK school period.