1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So you want to return to teaching in the UK?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jennifer longhu, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Well, it very much depends on what subject you teach. In some areas (especially Maths and Science) there is a shortage, in other subjects, however, you'll be fighting with many other people for just a few places.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump it up as the TES Bumper Jobs season starts . . .

3. Really? I find that odd because I'm a physics teacher and the reason I went to teach abroad was because I couldn't secure a job in the UK post teacher training.

Now I'm intending on returning to the UK in June at the end of my contract and I'm finding that despite my flexibility over location, improved confidence, fantastic exam scores and fantastic references I will still find it stupidly hard to find a school that is prepared to take a risk.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Physics teachers who actually have a Physics degree are like gold dust. Your major drawback might be if you are too far away to return for interview, as the guidelines are discouraging schools from appointing from a distance. But a Physics teacher shouldn't find it hard to get a job.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I cannot understand why any Physics teacher who is currently teaching in an international school would want to return to the U.K. There are dozens of adverts for Physics teachers, in interesting countries all over the world and many of them would pay you more than what you would get in Good Old Blighty.

6. the hippo

No, the most useful thing you can do is to start applying for a job in another country - not in the U.K.

7. I'm sorry that the links no longer work - due to the new TES forums.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lots of jobs this week in the TES

9. I have applied for about 10 jobs over the past few months-I have good experience (both in UK and abroad) and good references and still no luck! Starting to lose hope and think I'll have to do supply come September!!! Can't work out what I'm doing wrong-have followed all the good advice on here with regard to C.V. and aplplication letter writing.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Try posting on JobSeekers, Millender

11. Are you currently overseas? If so when can you return to the UK?
    I arrived in the UK in time for the last week of term and had four interviews lined up in two days, I went to the first two and was offered both.
    Schools in the UK want to see you and so you need to let them know when you are available.

12. Am currently overseas but have put in letters of application that I would be prepared to travel to interview as required at my own cost-thought this would do the trick! In the meantime will continue to keep applying. Wish there was one standardised appl form though! Whew!
    TG-thanks for suggestion

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

14. Great advice on here! I've been teaching in the USA for the last 2 years in a big inner city primary school, very multicultural. I'm a bit worried about finding a job when I get back and am looking into teaching in London. I applied for a few jobs back around Easter but didn't get an interview offer, so I'm now going to wait til I get back to start applying (start of July). Is this too late for a September job? Not keen on the idea of supply in London! The job situation is pretty bad over here, especially teaching- how bad is it in the UK at the moment?

15. the hippo

I do not understand why anyone who is currently working in an international school could ever want to go back to the UK.
    Perhaps it's the lovely British weather and the delicious food that you are missing. And don't you find it hard to be away from all of those angelic, hard-working children at the comprehensive where you used to teach in the UK? Or is it that you cannot bear to be without the delights of Council Tax? On the other hand, maybe you want to go back to Good Old Blighty in order to pay for the MPs' ridiculous expenses and the cost of the Olympics.

16. hippo-your responses are so predictable!
    People have different reasons for wanting to go back to the UK to teach, everyone's cirumstances are different and obviously personal. I think we all agree that there is good and bad in every school and country and I'm sure those moving on anywhere (including moving back to the UK) will have made an informed choice and weighed up the pro's and con's before making a decsion.

17. Bump to the top.
    NB some of the links don´t work now as they are pre-New Tes.
    Best wishes to all wherever you are enjoying your holidays, summer or winter or tropical.

18. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Hello Jennifer
    How is retirement treating you? Hope you are enjoying it but knowing you I'm sure you have your hand in teaching somehow. Take care.

19. I had a conversation with a colleague very recently. She is English and has only ever taught in English private schools or good international schools. She and her husband were having trouble finding an international school which would take them both and were considering going back to a UK comprehensive. My opinion could easily be abbreviated to "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo".

She said that the fact that she had never taught in a comp didnt mean that she couldnt cope. I agreed, but, I explained that being sworn at and ignored on a daily basis by totally disinterested students will wear anyone down to the point that you just become a robot, going through the motions, letting the abuse wash over you or you try to change the system and become a manic depressive stress victim. She got cross with me cos she thought I was accusing her of being less of a teacher than me. In fact I know she is a good teacher and I was trying to stop her from making a big mistake.

She didnt go back to the UK.