1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So you want to return to teaching in the UK?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jennifer longhu, Jun 17, 2006.

1. I have been following this thread for a while, and Jennifer you realy have given great advice.

Like many I have experienced great difficulty getting work in the Uk after being overseas.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I've been a Head for 7 years, and before that various senior posts.

However, after numerous applications, nothing, help...

2. There is a shortage of Heads for Primary and Secondary posts, even in the independent sector. The demography tells us that over the next 5 years up to 40% of Heads will retire.

There should be opportunities out there, so don't give up.

3. What are the shortage subjects at the moment, Jen?

4. From our perspective, we get fewest applicants for Science, most for MFL and Primary.

But the job market is very mobile, an ad a month later can bring a different picture.

Best wishes to all job seekers.

5. h20

h20

Huzzah! Got a job after all! Starting in January... I am actually looking forward to being back in Blighty.

Thankyou for your help and advice.

6. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

If you have kids!!!
    Which school?
    It's hard to get in to many good/reasonable schools unless they start in yr 7, classes are usually full.
    My kids are also starting Uni, it has implications for the tution fees. You must have been resident in uk for min 3 yrs to get em paid by government.
    You will also have problems getting and dosh from social sercurity (is it still calles this?), even if you are broke

7. Bump this up ready for tomorrow's TES and the flood of jobs advertised.

8. Hi all

I'm currently working abroad but I am considering coming back to the UK this year. I was wondering where on the payscale I would be placed. I have 3 years experience teaching in the UK and 2 years overseas. Will my overseas experience count towards my pay at all? Thanks x

9. Depends where you were teaching.

If it was in a "Language School", probably not. But in any international school, should count as years in UK.

10. Hello
    I was credited for my years teaching in Asia when I returned to the UK... I'm in a very average UK comp so I guess it depends on the school.

11. The latest advice is that phone interviews are a NO-NO, but that video conferencing for an interview may be allowable.

12. Hi! Does the no-no for phone interviews stand for just state schools or private too? I'm in the same boat looking to move back and hoping that a school will give me a break and do phone/video interview as I can't make the trip from Tokyo to England for one interview!

13. ka77 - in both the State and the independent sector, schools should be following the "Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education" guidelines that came into force on 1 January 2007.

This says on page 30 (of 120) "The selection process for people who will work with children should always include a face-to-face interview".

14. Bump it up for the bumper jobs section in this week's TES.

15. (Sorry didn't mean to post on this thread).