1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So you?re considering Welsh Medium Education?

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by Gogwatch, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Here's an interesting article looking at the supposed benefits of Welsh Medium Education.

So you’re considering Welsh Medium Education?

'Are you considering Welsh Medium Education for your children?

Quite rightly so, but you need to look at all options on something as important as your children’s education.

It seems counter intuitive that taking children from an English speaking
    home and sending them to be educated through the medium of the
    admittedly difficult language that is Welsh, would somehow provide a
    better education.'
    Full article below: (Opens in a new window)

http://www.gogwatch.com/2012/01/10/guest-post-so-youre-considering-welsh-medium-education/

Gogwatch

2. Here's an interesting article looking at the supposed benefits of Welsh Medium Education.

So you’re considering Welsh Medium Education?

'Are you considering Welsh Medium Education for your children?

Quite rightly so, but you need to look at all options on something as important as your children’s education.

It seems counter intuitive that taking children from an English speaking
    home and sending them to be educated through the medium of the
    admittedly difficult language that is Welsh, would somehow provide a
    better education.'
    Full article below: (Opens in a new window)

http://www.gogwatch.com/2012/01/10/guest-post-so-youre-considering-welsh-medium-education/

Gogwatch

3. Dim diolch. If you posted an article under your own name, from a site other than gogwatch.com, I'd have been interested in reading it.

I was only just yesterday telling family that you seem to be an organised, articulate, educated group of people. I understand your complaint about a lack of EM secondary school options in certain parts of Wales. I'd hate not to have the choice.

Unfortunately, I have little respect for your campaign of undermining the value of WM education. You are all over the Internet rubbishing it. I found you yesterday when searching for help with teaching Second Language Welsh to SpLD kids. A link to an article on the damage done to dyslexic children in early years WM! No reference to what they gain.

You lack a balanced view, and you have lost the initial support I felt for your arguments.

Now, should you decide to pick a fight with a local authority denying you the choice of an EM school, I'm right behind you. But I have stopped clicking on links to your website where I read the most awful attemps at disguising a real anti Cymry Cymraeg sentiment. Chucking in the odd Welsh word, as if that shows that you are able to be objective in your views. And the statistics...... Damn lies n all that.

Carys Meredith. Welsh teacher, English school. Cardiff :0)

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I find your article offensive. I find it almost racist to be frank - replace the phrase 'WM' with 'black' or 'asian' and it thus becomes so. I wish the 'silent majority' that vent through this site would remain just that.

5. I opted for Welsh Medium education for my own four children. I am a teacher myself (English Medium) so know a fair bit about schools ... and I haven't regretted it for a minute. All four (from upper secondary to nursery) are experiencing an excellent education. Their ability ranges from SEN to high ability, so we have seen all sides, and frankly I can't recommend WM enough. It seems to me that Gogwatch has a personal axe to grind. What a pity, it would be a shame if his/ her foundless rants influenced others to deprive their children of a great WM education.

6. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

"to be educated through the medium of the admittedly difficult language that is Welsh"

Gogwatch obviously knows nothing about language or linguistics.

Welsh is not "admittedly difficult".

Every day, I meet dozens of little children who speak it very well indeed..

Are Welsh children uniquely gifted with abnormally high intelligence, or is Welsh neither more nor less difficult than any other language?

7. Siarad
    Cymraeg? Ydw , bid siwr,</font>

Dysgais
    yr iaith pan oedd fy nwr</font>

Mor
    glir a'r grisial, a'r brithyll llwyd</font>

Yn
    gwylio rhag cael ei ddal mewn rhwyd.</font>

Siarad
    Lladin? Fe&rsquo;i dysgais, do,</font>

Pan
    ddaeth y Rhufeiniaid i fyw i&rsquo;r fro;</font>

Milwyr
    yn cerdded o fan i fan</font>

A
    chaer y gelynion ar fy nglan.</font>

Fe
    ddysgais Ffraneg, mae&rsquo;n siwr gen i,</font>

Pan
    ddaeth y Normaniaid o Normandi:</font>

I
    fyw yn eu castell, i dywyllt gwaed</font>

Ac
    i sathu&rsquo;r Cymro dan eu traed.</font>

Siarad
    Saesneg? Ers cyn co.</font>

Daeth
    yr iaith gyda&rsquo;r ffatri a&rsquo;r llongau glo:</font>

Llygru
    fy nwr a duo fy mryd:</font>

Lladd
    y brithyllod llwyd i gyd</font>

Ni

chlywais ddim Lladin ers llawer dydd,</font>

Na
    Ffraneg, chwaith; ond y Saesneg sydd </font>

Yn
    uchel ym mhobman. Ond tra fwyf byw,</font>

Bydd
    Cymraeg, gobeithio, yn ber yn fy nghlyw.</font>

8. Rubbish, educated through the medium of Welsh, excellent education.

9. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

He seems to be spamming the same "message" in every thread.

10. Dwi'n hoff o'r gerdd hon, a'i chi naeth ei gyfansoddi?