1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, you don't think you will ever have an allegation made against you, eh?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by binaryhex, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Which is why the clever, older and angrier ones are all quitting. Oh brave new world, that hath such jobsworths in it...

agathamorse, Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Shedman likes this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

So another colleague from school calls it a day. They had been off for an extended period with WRS and mental health issues directly related to work. They just rang in and said they'd not be returning.

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Anyone thinking of teaching also needs to understand that there is a very good chance that they will spend their entire working lives in poverty now, and any family they have will also spend their life in poverty.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...ol-staff-and-other-public-sector-workers-face

Make sure you read the literature about Government handouts, the charities you can turn to for clothes, furniture and financial grants, know where your nearest food banks are and how to claim free school meals for any children you have.

Think very carefully before entering teaching. Do you really want to be living in poverty your entire life whilst your friends make something of theirs? Do you want your future children to be living a life of handouts and second hand clothes?

Mrsmumbles and Shedman like this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And having given your younger years to building your career, you get so far up the main scale or UPS and then the school decides that you've become too expensive so they start capability to get you out so they can employ a cheaper but less experienced teacher. When looking for another job, some schools will expect you to work for free for a period to 'prove' yourself or offer you a job at a considerably lower pay point. As binaryhex says, prepare yourselves for a life of genteel poverty.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

As support staff I am struggling big time, going into teaching, or rather gaining QTS will help to lift me out of this. Anything has got to be better than my current situation.

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

8. Gsr25

Binaryhex, when you say do something with your life, don’t teach can you suggest other roles which would earn a modest living and be of a similar ilk?

9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Google:

University careers advice UK

10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

By similar ilk do you mean of equal prestige? Surely you wouldn't want a job that involved all the same stress, workload and back-stabbing as teaching. Binaryhex's suggestion of the University careers advice is excellent guidance. Many companies offer graduate recruitment schemes or there is always following up leads from word of mouth. Teaching will always be there if things become really desperate in the future but in its current state, it is a profession to avoid. Just read through the workplace dilemmas forum to get a flavour of the despair some colleagues are driven to.

11. Gsr25

Many, many jobs have heavy work loads, back stabbing and stress! The grass is not always greener!
    When it is suggested to do something else then what is that “something else” ?
    I’ve been reading this forum for years. I’m no stranger to the stories on work place dilemmas, I’m under no illusion that I’ll change the world by teaching but I know that in any industry there elll be stress, pressure and backstabbing. Of course in this sector it is highlighted by media because it is working in the public sector, just as the NHS is and the police.

Pomza and Shedman like this.
  12. Gsr25

You didn’t answer the question. If you post things like this then you really need to be prepared to give people sound advice not just various threads saying don’t do it on a forum for people who are considering teaching. Forgive me if you have already started threads about this, I would be glad to read them.

13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  14. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Congratulations everyone - this thread has over 15000 views!!!

I hope that we have provided many potential trainees with the reality of "teaching" today, so that they can make informed choices based on facts, not the silly bol***** in TV adverts, which are about as far from the truth for the majority of teachers as you can get.

Teaching in schools these days involves poor pay for most if not all your career - many teachers cannot afford and will never be able to afford their own homes, many areas in the UK are too expensive to live in and some teachers have to resort to food banks and charities to get by. A third of teachers burn out within just a few years of teaching and then struggle with the debts they incurred getting trained to be a teacher. Workload, despite years of Government promises, is still horrendous, has not gone down one bit since a major review 5 years ago and leads many teachers to develop serious mental illnesses (including sadly, incidents of suicide), social isolation and 'odd' behaviour. Despite Government promises years ago, you still face allegations being thrown at you at any time from any child who dislikes you or you punish - the investigation can take 6 months or more to clear you, your name can be dragged through the mud, you could feel suicidal at being called a 'pedo' or similar and there will be no consequences for any child who makes the allegation - it's open season on teachers with no protection. Behaviour in schools, especially state academies, is totally out of control in many places. You spend every day banging your head on the wall, with little support from SLT, who write ridiculous Behaviour Policies that manage to keep them out of any responsibility for dealing with any behaviour. Data collection , input, analysis, interventions, reports etc etc will take ages.

In short, you will quickly become an exhausted wreck with no life. Be warned before you sacrifice your one life for nothing. Forget any pipe dreams about making a difference - you're just going to be doing crowd control mostly. You will work with jaded colleagues, who hate teaching more than you will and soon, you will turn into them, hating everything about students, schools, management and teaching.

Think before you do this to yourself and everyone who loves you.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Mrsmumbles, Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Binaryhex

I am so sad to write that your description is 100% accurate.

How can one of the wealthiest countries in the world have such a poor education system? Millions have been spent on new buildings in the area I am in - several schools getting brand new state of the art buildings and equipment all within a few years of each other. Some of these schools are in special measures.

Shedman likes this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I wish it were different but I agree with you 100% just like Pepper 5. I have watched too many splendid colleagues broken by the system. Fine teachers brought to their knees by excessive demands of an out of touch government and blame shifting SLTs. Whatever you do or whatever sacrifices you make will never be enough but yet as you mature and develop as a teacher then you become too expensive and the capability proceedings begin based on misconstrued or overtly false 'performance indicators' to get you out. I have seen colleagues give their all for the job, health, mental well-being and even their families and partners only to be casually cast off when you cost too much to employ.

Mrsmumbles and pepper5 like this.
  17. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  18. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

20. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter