1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, you don't think you will ever have an allegation made against you, eh?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by binaryhex, Jul 3, 2017.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Anyone thinking of teaching needs to understand how toxic many school working environments are. Behaviour in many schools is simply out of control, and this directly affects the well-being of teachers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39367869

Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Potential new teachers, take note ......

Teachers are far more likely to be suicidal, self-harming, absent from work on long-term stress leave and suffering from a wide range of mental health issues. This is brought on by excessive workload over a seven day week, pupil behaviour, constant unrealistic demands from managers, sleep deprivation, exhaustion and being unable to unwind. And recently, poor pay has placed many teachers firmly in the poverty bracket, unable to buy their own home, afford luxuries or to feel valued.

The above are not new. Successive Governments have promised action. The only 'action' in the last five years has been to set up talking shop after talking shop. And don't expect the unions to do anything.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...gland-suffering-from-so-much-stress-explainer

3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Far too often teaching ruins your health and your life.

Mrsmumbles, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  6. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Another post by the author later in the thread.

9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You could be accused of all kinds of stuff at any time, Monday to Friday. Unfortunately, you may also be accused evenings and weekends now, as nearly all schools run after school catch-up sessions which teachers must run, and schools start to introduce Saturday working. You will spend your entire week working all hours, dealing with poorly behaved students, exhausted and unable to have the time or energy to have a life outside work.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/compulsory-saturday-lessons-could-burn-out-teachers-union-warns/

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  10. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

It finally happened to me............... I was accused at the weekend! I heard the screaming, my name called and then the accusation.

I said sorry, but it was too late. There were mitigating circumstances (tired and over worked) but I still feel guilty.

Shedman likes this.
  11. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

12. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Much as I agree with Binaryhex, I would say go one stage further and say plan ahead for when your mental and physical health decline. Ensure you build up a little nest egg that can pay the bills for a month or two so you can leave a job that's making you ill. You may be continually told you are useless and bullied; make sure you have the mental resilience to cope with this. Maintain outside interests, sports and hobbies and don't sacrifice these for school work. Set limits on the amount of family time you are prepared to sacrifice for your job and once the limit is reached no more school work at home.

Be aware of the effects your mood, lack of meaningful time and your deteriorating health may be having on your family. You may think you have the unconditional support of your partner or family but they may be totally fed up with and despise the sacrifices THEY have to make for YOUR job. Be aware of the effects your job is having on you and those around you - every week set aside a few minutes aside and ask yourself is this job making me fulfilled and motivated? What does my partner and family think of the week just past? What were the highlights or low points. Am I happy and is may family happy if we had another week like this? If yes then good. If no then do something about it, don't let it just fester on.

14. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

I have been banished to my own personal toilet by my wife. She suggested that I should sit down when I got to the toilet (like German men). I should have just agreed (and ignored her), but I suggested real men stand!

15. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Why would anyone choose to train to teach today? Behaviour is off the scale of bad and will leave you constantly stressed out and exhausted. You won’t have a social life to talk of. You’ll be working all hours. You will turn into a boring person with nothing to talk about. You could be accused at any moment by a pupil of being a pervert, that will leave You traumatised as the investigation drags on for months, but there will be no consequences for the accuser and little support for you. To top it all, the pay has become really dreadful over the last six or seven years and you will never earn enough to buy your own home.

16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I feel so sorry for the family of the automotive lecturer. Poor man and family.

Trust they find some peace.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

That sums it up in a nutshell binaryhex.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. flishflash

flishflash New commenter

An interesting thread. I'm being made redundant from a HoD post in what is supposed to be a shortage subject (Computer Science). I've decided to work abroad from August as I am sick of the behaviour of students, the 7am til 7pm hours 6 days a week, students who can't cope but feel entitled to everything without working hard and Computer Science qualifications which aren't fit for purpose. And actually, the salary is starting to look really poor now, especially for how hard you work.

I like teaching but UK posts expect you to sacrifice everything and be constantly exhausted. Leaving the UK system has left me feeling really happy.

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Best wishes for a successful teaching career abroad. Your post sums up why so many other posters have decide to call time on the state education system. You have been made redundant from a shortage subject. This is what happens when there is a shortage of money. Another couple of years and the state education system will have fallen over a cliff in funding terms.

20. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I left the UK for abroad and I was a lucky person in that I taught in a pretty good school with fairly supportive management and we'll behaved kids. The funding shortage was biting though and we were constantly being asked to do more with less.

Being abroad has saved my love of teaching.

agathamorse and Shedman like this.