1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So, you don't think you will ever have an allegation made against you, eh?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by binaryhex, Jul 3, 2017.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi blueskydreaming

I am so glad to hear you have secured a job abroad as you deserve it. You have helped so many people on this site on various threads and I always enjoy reading your helpful posts. You are another wonderful teacher whimis being pushed out of the UK system from poor management since as you say why do the SLT even entertain such ridiculous comments from students and have a complaints procedure in place.

Who in their right mind would want to be a teacher in the UK state system???? It is madness.

I work as a supply teacher and the only way Imcsn do it is because I can take days off between the insanity and madness.

I wish you all the very best with your new job and I think you will be successful with it and I am so glad you have made an escape. Your new school will be blessed to have you I am sure.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You're so kind - would love a colleague like you! :)

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

At that point I would have terminated the interview and referred the parent to the head teacher.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

HOD was sitting at the desk next to me, waiting for her next appointment. She heard everything. She said later that she didn't want to intervene because I, apparently, handled the parent well, and also because she didn't want to undermine me. I see her point of view, although it would have been nice if she'd put the parent straight. Oh well. Onwards and upwards...

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Let's not mince our words - she is a coward who hasn't got the guts to stick up for her staff. Had you been a member of my department I would have taken over and given the parent what for. Undermine you? She sat there and did nothing, it was her that undermined you through lack of support. Totally gutless.

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm waiting for teachingspurs to post up about how we're all trolls for pointing out how bad it's getting. It might not be a universal problem yet, only time will tell.

Shedman likes this.
  7. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Oh @blueskydreaming that's awful! I'm so sorry you've had to deal with that. Your posts are always so positive, level-headed and helpful that it's even more unfair that you've had to deal with this nastiness.

Lara mfl 05 and blueskydreaming like this.
  8. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...1million-bill-bungled-rape-investigation.html

This could happen to you. Don't go into teaching without understanding that what happened to this poor chap could easily happen to you. EVERY silly and idiotic complaint by a child at school, every stupid fantasy by a hormonal teenager, every complaint by a student with a grudge must be investigated, often involving the police, police searches of your home, interviews with friends, family, colleagues. You have no redress. You will be broken mentally. There is no such thing in schools as 'common sense'. There are no consequences for the teenager making up the allegation. Your career will be over. The entire investigation will drag on for months. You will be crushed.

You have been warned. Think it through before training to become a teacher.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Becoming a teacher these days is to set yourself up as a victim:

• You will be underpaid
    • You will held responsible for the actions of others and for things you have absolutely no control over
    • Young people will be rude and offensive to you every day and expect you to take it because you are a teacher
    • You will be judged on your students results regardless of their ability or the appropriateness of the courses you teach them
    • You will be set ridiculous targets you have no chance of ever achieving
    • You will be 'encouraged' to 'move on' when your salary becomes too expensive for the school to pay
    • People will lie to you - students and staff
    • The probability is that you will be assaulted by students at some stage of your career
    • You will be stabbed in the back by colleagues
    • You will be abused in the street or online
    • Malicious rumours will be spread about you
    • Malicious complaints will be made against you and even if proved untrue your career will be ruined because there's no smoke....
    • You will be accused of bullying or sexual abuse
    • You will be appreciated by some staff and colleagues but a few months after you leave you will be forgotten
    • Parents will be abusive, threatening or may physically assault you

There is much more but that's enough for now.

10. Peterpipergirl

Peterpipergirl New commenter

Unfortunately, much of the above is pretty close to the truth. Make sure you are emotionally and mentally made of titanium and have a good support network before taking the plunge and training to work 60 hour weeks in a draining environment for what seems like every year to be less and less money. It can be a good career for some but for the vast majority, dealing with poor behaviour day in day out saps away any idea of making a difference or changing lives. The constant scrutiny, endless change, pointless demands to do meaningless tasks that really seem to have little impact on students is wearing. Lots of teachers do suffer from mental health issues - they were happy and carefree once, just like you so don't think you are immune!

The best advice is to not go into teaching until you have had 10 years in another, unrelated job. If / when teaching proves too much, you will have a fallback career.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Definitely do not go into teaching unless you have a second career to fall back on just as Peterpipergirl states.

rizzrazz and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It is the truth!

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

This thread is so very sad - none of us should have to write such posts. Schools should not be this way - it has become normalised, but it is not; not for me anyway.

On 2 July 2017, a thread was started on this site " Trust offers Teachers Electric Shock Therapy". I haven't read the thread, but I read the article from the online Telegraph.

Has it really gotten this low? I know where I live and work as a supply teacher many of the schools are challenging places to work where people don't especially like going, but I know there are far, far, worse places.

So low that schools expect teachers to put up with the things that make them depressed then receive treatment for it?

Lara mfl 05 and peakster like this.
  14. Peterpipergirl

Nice piece in Secret Teacher today. It pretty much sums up how teachers are increasingly having to teach to a script these days, suppressing urges to try and inspire, have fun, be creative, push students beyond the barrier. Teachers don't make a difference anymore.

New teachers should not imagine asking a student to stand on a table reading 'O captain my captain'. They would lose their jobs for breaking health and safety regs and endangering pupils.

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher...ulti-academy-trusts-want-machines-not-mentors

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Lead commenter

There's a lot of truth in that.

I would add...... being criticised by the Head teacher for doing the job/role you are supposed to do.

Lara mfl 05, Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  16. Peterpipergirl

Teachers and especially trainees may be spied on in the name of 'good practice' by other teachers, pupils or cameras. You will never be trusted in front of children. And, when an allegation is made against you, you will be crucified. In the event you are found 'innocent', your record will not be cleared - the allegation will follow you around your entire career, from school to school, on references, passed to police if necessary. The student who made the allegation will carry on as normal; you will be expected to teach your accuser, pretend nothing happened, put up with their smirks and comments and the comments from other students, who have been passed the information by your accuser. You will have no redress and there is no support of any kind for you. You are highly likely to suffer a breakdown. Be warned and enter into this profession with your eyes wide open about what can happen.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/exclusive-secret-shopper-pupils-sent-spy-teachers

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/schools-using-cctv-spy-teachers-7010570

Shedman likes this.
  17. Peterpipergirl

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you are concerned about having allegations made against you then DON'T go into teaching.

However I've been a teacher for 20 years and I've only known ONE case of an allegation of a sexual nature brought against a teacher by a student.

It ended with the child being permanently excluded.

Allegations like this generally occur in very poorly managed schools - avoid them

19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

All schools should be required to pay into a central fund which would ask as an insurance fund to pay out compensation to those who are falsely accused like kato Harris. The money could be used to help the victims with counselling and their living costs and needs. According to the article above, Mr Harris is in a bedsit and jobless.

Lara mfl 05 and Shedman like this.
  20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Absolutely the truth and should be borne in mind continually. I consider myself lucky to have taught for over 30 years despite the threats by some students to make up malicious allegations about me because I expected them to do some work. I have always kept my back completely covered and avoided all situations about which false allegations could be made - this should always be at the forefront of your mind at all times. Even so, I have lived in dread about being called into the head's office to face some allegation I have absolutely no idea about.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.