1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So why would anybody want to go into leadership then? Read this...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 27, 2011.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

A cracker from the local education jobs page....for DHT on L5..
    'Successful candidates identified from short listing will initially be contacted by phone on Friday 4th March or Monday 7th March and a ‘Teaching Observation’ (in the candidates own school) will be arranged.
    Selected candidates, following the teaching observation, will be invited to participate in the final phase of the recruitment procedure – which includes a formal interview, year group assembly and presentation task.
    Further details will follow by email once shortlisting has taken place.'

Added to that 4 pages of essential skills on the person spec sent out

Completely ludicrous.....how many jumps? guessing they'll have less than 3 applicants...

2. The Red Heron

A cracker from the local education jobs page....for DHT on L5..
    'Successful candidates identified from short listing will initially be contacted by phone on Friday 4th March or Monday 7th March and a ‘Teaching Observation’ (in the candidates own school) will be arranged.
    Selected candidates, following the teaching observation, will be invited to participate in the final phase of the recruitment procedure – which includes a formal interview, year group assembly and presentation task.
    Further details will follow by email once shortlisting has taken place.'

Added to that 4 pages of essential skills on the person spec sent out

Completely ludicrous.....how many jumps? guessing they'll have less than 3 applicants...

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

For an Assistant Headteacher's post I would agree.
    However, the successful candidate for the post you mention will be a Deputy Headteacher and could possibly find themselves deputising for several months if the existing head get hit by the proverbial bus on Day 2 of the new job.
    Hence, the rigorous nature of the interview process.

4. The Red Heron

just wonder what lala land some HTs and Gov Bodies live in if they think that a profession which is desperately struggling to attract and recruit leaders will be motivated to do it with that in front of them. I think I'll stick to my classroom teacher job on UPS 3 and go home at 4pm thanks

5. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

It doesn't seem too bad to me!

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank you for summarising your leadership capacity so concisely.

7. The Red Heron

just summarising what most teachers who work at the 'chalkface' so to speak think of the 'leadership capacity' in schools

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well I'm clearly not 'most teachers'. Looked fine to me as well.

Teaching, in my own class and school...No hoop there as I do that anyway.

Interview, normal.

Assembly, sounds sensible. Don't want to end up with a deputy head who trembles when faced with taking assembly.

Presentation, normal at interviews these days.

Can't see the problem.

9. The Red Heron

Fair enough...Im not really saying its beyond the norm...just that I can see why a lot of schools fail to recruit....sounds a most horrendous ordeal to me...for a few extra quid and lots and lots of extra responsibility and cr.ap that the HT doesnt want, prob works out at £200 a month more net than a UPS 3 teacher, £45 a week for all that rubbish....cant see it personally...

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ahhh but clearly we differ in what we want next from a career.

£200 a month more and lots more responsibility, especially the bits the HT doesn't want so however badly you do them he/she won't interfere...sounds fabulous too me!

11. I was recently trawling through the classroom teacher positions in my LA and for MS/UPS you had to perform the following:
    lesson with a nursery group questions from parents ( dont think they are present )
    presentation on creative curriculum interview with the governors
    school council interview

I realise that for a Leadership post that you need to perform extra tasks however, for a class teacher I felt this was OTT!!!!

12. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It may surprise you, The Red Heron, but I suspect that you may not be the sort of person they're looking for anyway!

13. As an NQT I was looking for teaching jobs last summer. Each school had different "hoops" to be jumped through, and they all wanted more than an observation and an interview.
    One school wanted applicants to teach a lesson, level a piece of work, do an "in tray" activity, be interviewed by the Headteacher and governors, be interviewed by the school council, lead a school council sub-committee meeting and give a presentation to a group of staff/governors/pupils about the ideal learning environment. For an NQT post.

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Now that's ludicrous! The op sounded fine for a leadership position to me. Anyone who thinks it's a bit much isn't ready for leadership. DHT posts aren't about gaining more pay, they're about gaining experience. If you're in it for the money, it's the wrong job.

15. Oh that really made me chuckle!
    I also thought the advert seemed okay; much much better teaching a class that you know, and as others have said if you cannot do the other elements then maybe a leadership position is not for you.

16. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

The pay for some DH posts certainly doesn't reflect the amount of extra work load you have to deal with and also the pressure. I have been fortunate to be Acting Dep for almost two years now and my pay is less than £50 per month extra when compared to my usual role as EY&KS1 Leader on UP3 with a TLR. I will be stepping back next month and will really miss my role but will have less responsibilities but not much less money each month. It has certainly given lots of valuable experience (which is why I stepped up in the first place) and plenty of food for thought.
    Even though I've loved the role, worked very hard, do I really want this .......
    If I take a higher pay band is possibly crossing the tax threshold worth it? (to be financially worse off for all that extra work at the end of the month?) I could also effectively take a pay cut moving to a smaller school as a DH if I wasn't careful about my choices!?
    Pay isn't everything but with the economic climate as it is everyone could do with a bit extra but it has to be worth while. You have to be satisfied that for all the extra work, the pay reflects that. If you are working your n*ts off for hardly any more money then it's not viable long term.
    I will be looking for a DH post which reflects my commitment to my chosen profession. One which will make it worthwhile getting out of bed earlier for, working a longer day for and having a later night for and if the right post doesn't come up - i will remain a successful classroom practitioner / senior leader in my old role as KS leader and be totally happy with that. :)
    Not spell checked - too late - its bedtime!

17. What the OP describes sounds pretty much what I had to do when I was applying for DH posts over 15 years ago.
    So I have to say there is nothing wrong with it.