1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So why is this not a teaching job?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Robsia, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Depressed about the lack of supply this term, I am browsing non-teaching jobs and found this one:
    Summary:
    HLTA for new Behavioural/Learning Support Centre

Based at Skerton Community Centre, Slyne Road, Lancaster

An enthusiastic, hard working Higher Level Teaching Assistant is required to work in an offsite centre. The successful candidate will work with a small group of disaffected and vulnerable KS3 and KS4 pupils whose needs cannot currently be met in a mainstream school. They will deliver a curriculum which closely mirrors the mainstream curriculum at Skerton Community High School and will be supported in this by teachers at Skerton. They will be required to establish and maintain a learning environment with clear expectations and boundaries. As part of a professional team the successful candidate will be committed to the concept of high expectations and achievement for all.

http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/vacancies/vacancyDetails.asp?id=41399

Why on earth (and I want to say something stronger there) is this not a teaching job??

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Maybe no planning & marking? X

3. Because you'd be 'part of a professional team' - assisting the teacher, not leading the classroom...

4. Money? xx

5. Thats not what it says. It says:
    In fact ALL HLTA jobs I have seen advertised include both planning and teaching. I have worked in a school where HLTAs cover PPA time with no teacher in sight. They plan and teach their own lessons.
    And it's teaching KS3 and 4 kids - so will they be teaching all secondary level subjects? And GCSE?