1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So who attacked Saudi Arabia?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Who attacked Saudi Arabia's oil facilities?

1. Iran directly

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Yemeni Houthi faction

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. False flag by Saudi/USA

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Israel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other [outline below]

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Saudi and the USA seem sure it was Iran. The Houthi claim responsibility but could be acting as Iranian proxies [and the targets are much closer to Iran than Yemen]. What do people think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49746645

Has anyone got a reason why Iran would do this? What their possible logic could be? If they think it was Iran...

I also bear in mind that Israel struck a site in Syria recently that they claimed was an Iranian drone facility.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...gainst-syria-to-foil-iran-killer-drone-attack

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It was probably teachers, who are to blame for everything.

3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Unfortunately, neither Robert Fisk or Patrick Cockburn appear to have commented yet (though maybe one of them will eventually) and Michael Axworthy has sadly passed on.

Maybe Ali Ansari might be canvassed for his opinion at some point. Or Simon Mabon (the author of a book on the Saudis and Iran).

That's all I can think of.

'Don't know' in other words.

But if you come across anything that seems trustworthy, do post it (I'll do the same).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  4. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

I largely suspect it was the Saudis and Americans in cahouts.
    If it was an outside job, given how appalling and lackseSaudi security is, I lived there for long enough, I wouldn't be surprised either.

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Maybe, if it was Iran, they want to test Trump. If the US still takes no action, then it shows the US to be withdrawing from the region.
    Why is Israel on the list and not Russia....or Britain

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

For those posters who think Israel is behind everything.

xmal and Oscillatingass like this.
  7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

So there's no hidden agenda in this thread or anything. My answer to the original question is "jiggered if I know". In truth, that is also the answer for every poster, unless someone has a hotline to several intelligence services.

FrankWolley likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes. Mossad paid me to expose you.

They have cameras watching you right now.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

But you didn't include Momentum!

agathamorse and lanokia like this.
  10. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I'll go with "a certain theocratic regime which wants to provoke the US into open war with them, the bloody outcomes of which will then damage Trump enough to cause him to lose the 2020 election and be replaced by someone more sympathetic, in the way Obama was and the EU is, toward said theocracy".

But whoever did it, it's not our fight. If the Saudis think it was their regional rivals, okay. The Saudis can go and use some of those weapons we sold them to fight their own war for a change.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Who stands to benefit most from an attack on Iran?

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Surely who stands to benefit for the attack on Saudi Arabia?

It'd like asking "who stands to benefit from the arrest for this mugger who just attacked an old lady?"

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Follow the money.

Oh, hang on a minute - Saudi Arabia's got all the money. Forget I said that.

monicabilongame and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I think it was the Tories in order to divert attention from Bo Jo, the Brexit fiasco and the High Court hearing.

lanokia and chelsea2 like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Probably the dark hand of Dominic Cummings...

16. NoseyMatronType

Given the blatant lying and micro-fibbing that so many administrations habitually engage in almost as a reflex action these days (those of Putin, Trump, Bolsonaro and our very own serial practitioner Boris Johnson being the most obviously recognisable examples), there is an easy way to resolve this: appoint an independent team of investigators to look into what happened.

For example, the official Dutch-led investigation into the downing of Malaysian Flight 17 when it was crossing over southeastern Ukraine back in 2014 eventually exposed the Russian version of events (as reinforced through the Russian media) to be a tissue of absurd and incoherent lies.

So maybe something like that is needed. But I would be surprised if any such investigation ever gets authorized.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

To be fair, that was clear before the investigation.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Tbh, I can’t see how it would make much difference. Any such investigation would rely heavily (as the Ukrainian one did) on US intelligence supplied information, and could hardly therefore be seen as impartial; particularly as the US has already declared its hand.

19. NoseyMatronType

According to one reliable survey, in September 2014, 86 per cent of Russians blamed Ukraine for shooting down MH17 and 85 per cent continued to do so in July 2015.

This is in spite of the fact that the Russian version of events consisted of contradictory nonsense (but it would take too long for me to summarise it here).

Anyone wishing to establish the veracity of the findings of the Dutch-led investigation should refer to pages 179 to 182 of Timothy Snyder’s book The Road to Tyranny and then decide for themselves.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  20. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Has he used the same make-up artist as Justin Trudeau?

lanokia likes this.