1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So where is the money going?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by nomad, Sep 28, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A few thousand "hamstrung" headteachers marched on Downing Street today (Friday) to deliver a letter to Philip Hammond, the Treasurer, warning him not to treat them as "fools" by insisting that schools are receiving '"more money than ever before" and that there are "more teachers being recruited than ever". They said that the reality is "an entirely different situation" where swingeing cuts to school budgets are leading "wholly unacceptable" consequences. These include swelling class sizes, axing subjects and extra curricular activities, laying off support staff, and using Pupil Premium funds - which are meant to be earmarked for supporting the most vulnerable pupils - to prop up the school's overall budget.

Assuming that both the headteachers and the government are correct, where is all the money going to if not to the classrooms in the form of teachers, classroom support staff and resources?

I shall suggest where. Please feel free to add your own thoughts.
    1. Academy CEOs' salaries
    2. Non-teaching 'upper strata' academy personnel.
    3. Non-teaching heads.
    4. Non-teaching Deputies.
    5. Non-teaching SLT.
    6. Non-class-based 'new generation' support such as 'Pupil Premium Champions'.
    7. The move away from textbook teaching (especially in Primary English) resulting in large photocopying costs.
    8. The move towards pupils' single-use printed workbooks (especially in Primary mathematics) requiring annual purchase.

BetterNow and JohnJCazorla like this.
  2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

7 and 8 are about resources are they not?
    What Head has time to teach?
    Do schools really have Deputy Heads that don't teach?

PS I have a hard time believing the government is correct on this one I'm afraid....

nomad likes this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I suggest the money has gone to:

1. More staff because there are more children in the system
    2. Higher employer costs of national insurance and pension costs which will get even worse next year
    3. Higher costs to try to support higher needs SEN in mainstream. The needs are higher than they have ever been.
    4. Paying for services such as learning support advisers, educational psychologists, other support and advice services, building services and costs that used to be provided direct by the LA in the past.

As far as your list goes: we don’t have CEOs, we have non teaching heads except for in small schools. Our deputies teach. There are no other SLT. Most of our Pupil Premium money goes on intervention teaching. We haven’t bought textbooks in decades so photocopying costs are higher, I agree. The recent trend for beautiful, coloured worksheets and photos has cost a lot. We used to have individual workbooks in primary schools when I started teaching 35 years ago so we should be able to afford these.

Pomza and nomad like this.
  4. cornflake

9. NI/Pension contributions (and just WAIT until next years 40% hike in employer contributions hit)
    10. Apprenticeship Levy
    11. Move to Living Wage over Min. wage
    12. Water / Fuel / heating costs
    13. Data management systems
    14. DPO (GDPR requirement)
    15. propping up the UIFSM as we only get funded according to census day uptake, but children may have meals on other days
    16. propping up the school kitchen repairs/maintenance/fuel costs
    17. making up the shortfall in educational visit contributions, as more parents find it harder to contribute (looks like we will just cancel them now)
    18. insurance costs for teacher/TA absence, as stress levels/ill health make claims more likely and so premiums rise
    19. Educational Psychologist (as Sunday Trekker says, at £500 for seeing one child... this soon mounts up)
    20. OT (as above for Ed Psych)
    21. S&LT rising costs
    22. insufficient funding for medical needs/SEND children
    23 increase in costs of training staff (which is often necessary because of high turnover)
    24. increase costs of supply cover (to ensure training can happen, as well as the constant monitoring OFSTED expect to see!)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Pomza, Sundaytrekker and nomad like this.
  5. cornflake

25 Grounds maintenance contracts
    26 Premises Security
    27 Dilapidated buildings needing repairs that are not financed via DFC/LA

6. cornflake

28 Text communication systems with parents (so as to engage parents!)
    29 Websites
    30 Attendance Officers (I should be so lucky!)
    31 PSAs (I should be so lucky!)

Sundaytrekker and nomad like this.
  7. cornflake

32 Recruitment - often having to advertise more than once

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank you for your comprehensive contributions. Really appreciated.

9. cornflake

I could probably think of some more, but those were quick and obvious ones...
    Schools are beyond desperate now: and children are suffering harm

nomad likes this.
  10. cornflake

33 IT support
    34 Broadband
    35 SIMS/Capita
    36 Online Payment Systems for Parents
    37 Tree surgeons

Pomza likes this.
  11. cornflake

38 HR and HR Admin contracts (much more than they used to be)
    39 Governor Services Support (we can't actually afford this anymore... used to be supported through grant to LA but this has been slashed, so cost to schools doubled...)

12. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

What Sundaytrekker and Cornflake said!
    Most significant for us are numbers 2, 3 and 9. But all the others add up as well. Once the cushion of the guaranteed funding for the fairer funding formula disappears we are really going to be neck deep in the sticky stuff.

The government figures are right in the terms they choose to use but they are disingenuous at best. The record level of funding ignores the fact that there are nearly 6000 kids in the system. It ignores the huge costs that have been shifted to the school. So it is not a useful statement.
    And now it appears they include money spent by parents on private education and and money borrowed by students for fees as part of that figure! Which moves things to being dishonest. I am sick and tired of trying to keep standards (academic and pastoral) up when the provision level (staff and resources) that is required is now impossible to afford, and under ministers who are prepared to lie rather than look for solutions for our pupils.

13. cornflake

40 Refuse collection (cost up 45%!!!)