1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what's your CV like?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 01brian, Oct 22, 2005.

1. ayo

ayo

Is it necessary to talk about students exam results on a CV?
    I have just left a school in the Middle East where the numbers taking IGCSE in my subject were small, therefore 1 student was worth a high percentage and so %A-C pass rates are somewhat variable. My previous UK school improved its overall pass rates to 24% and when I left I didn't even find out how my students did; would I want to quote numbers like that?

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

References to exam results, if used, would normally go in the Letter of Application. 'Overseas' schools are almost invariably independent and in good ones the A*-C pass rate will be somewhere between 70 and 100%, partly depending on selectivity, or otherwise, of intake, so don't quote 24% or anything like it.

3. Mine is very pretty all pink and fluffy with flowers as a watermark, Why?

4. Mainwaring

I hope this thread is useful for Shaun and others who've recently asked about writing CVs and applications

5. Hi M. How are you?
    I read your last post with interest.
    It's funny how CVs grow organically with time. My CV stems from filing job applications for a top city bank during a summer holiday job in the early 1990s - not very glamorous. However, I think that many people fall into a trap of not changing or restructuring content when applying for a new job - one CV fits all syndrome!
    I have also read a few CVs in my time. Listing 'experiences' that are relevant to the job being advertised really helps. CVs that omit this kind of thing are immediately suspicious. Not sure about the mission/vision statements; it can look padding if done just for sake of it - "I am a turbo charged enthusia (does such a word exist?) of students...." as I recall on one!?
    Regards

Bobby Dee

6. Mainwaring

¡Hola Bobby! Excellent point.
    It's also useful to include a line or two on what you claim to achieved in each post, e.g. 'set up the ToK department from scratch' or 'returned a bankrupt school to solvency'. These have to be concrete statements supportable by referees.
    I have at least three different CV styles, though these days I tend to draft/ polish/ criticise them for others.
    I'm so glad I'm not young any more. (Maurice Chevalier, 1958)

7. Thank you, that's very kind and helpful of you. It is a little harder for me however, as I'll be looking for a job straight out of university and I don't have any of these things to put on my CV. I will however have QTS because I will be transferring my teaching diploma which will be gained outside the UK, so I guess that's one bonus.
    I think many people (myself included) would be happy to paypal you a fee for you to look over their CV's. You've clearly got the expertise and experience.

Thanks again for your help.

8. Is Rhea still on the board? She offered to give a few posters a copy of a CV to look at.
    If you are reading this (or anyone else who has a good example) please email me a copy.
    studyshaneman1@gmail.com

9. I worked in several language schools in South America while backpacking but due to my irresponsible attitude to life broke the contract all three times. I know how terrible it is. Now I am a lot more grown up and professional but wonder whether it is worthwhile putting such experience down?
    It seems a shame, that is my only real teaching experience abroad apart from my placements during my degree (I too am a recent graduate).
    Should I be honest and admit I was immature and unprofessional on my CV? I have been advised to gloss over it and write; 'two years spent travelling and working in different language school in SA' but as one poster has written; I think they'll see right through it.
    What are peoples' thoughts on it?
    Thanks

10. Started a new thread on it.

11. Right, one for the recruitment sages....
    I usually include as a written reference, one from Principal X, for whom I worked on the international circuit. Well, the quasi-international circuit. American syllabus school, but not really international. But I digress.
    I am now looking to apply to a different school, in another country, where he is now the principal. Now, applications are not to be sent to him, but to the HR director. So......do I send this letter of reference, as they have asked for three? What say you? (To add some background, I have a dearth of letters of reference, as past head teachers have said "Just get them to ring me." However, I feel that 7-8 years on, 'ringing me' has passed its due date....)

12. Mainwaring

I'd use it (infling it, even) Assuming that it's a good one (which it obviously must be) he can hardly tell the HRD that he didn't really mean it.