1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what's your CV like?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 01brian, Oct 22, 2005.

1. jennifer longhu/Mainwaring - don't get too sidetracked please by other issues - your contributions alond with Rhea's template have been very useful. It's interesting to get an insight from those who have to scrutinise CVs.

2. oh - and always check for spelling errors BEFORE sending.

3. ...and white paper, black ink please. Coloured paper/ink are gimmicks best left to sales reps.

Another 'tip' is to make sure you have the school's name (and whoever you are instructed to direct the application to) correct wherever it is referred to in your covering letter. You'd be surprised how often people don't. Whilst we're not naive enough to think that you have applied to us and us only, we'd like to think that your IT skills run to using 'find and replace' and that you've actually taken the time to check your application before whizzing it off in a mass mailshot. A lot can be inferred as to how you view your profession, and 'us' from the way in which you present your yourself both on paper and at interview. This all sounds like stating the obvious, but get the basics right and we're more likely to read on. One last thing, don't start your covering letter with: "Hey guys, just saw your website. Good job on that." It has been known (admittedly this was on a resume - the differences between US / UK approach to applications??? Whole different story).

4. I have found a school I am interested in although they haven't advertised any jobs. I want to send them my CV on the off-chance that they have a vacancy later. Any advice on how I should approach the covering letter?

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Make sure you put something concrete such as 'Physics Application' in the subject box of your email. A lot of people put something vague such as 'teaching post' and it makes it more difficult for the selector to pick the message out when a vacancy does come up. I would suggest something like:

Dear...

I am a well-qualified British teacher of (subject) with (?) years' experience of teaching to IGCSE and IB Diploma level. Having studied your website and would very much like to teach at (name of school. I attach my CV.

Regards,

6. And don't send it to 40 schools at the same time - try and personalise it so that we can fondly believe that it is only us that you are interested in!

7. Thanks for that. At present I only have one school in mind. What about a hard copy in the post, rather than as an email attachment?

8. Yes, but address it personally to the Head (envelope as well as letter itself). Don't, however, put "Private and Confidential" on the envelope as this is mainly done by people trying to sell us something we don't want.

Try to keep the covering letter to just one side, and make every sentence in it earn its keep. Tell the Head why it would be to his advantage to employ you, how you will improve learning, make his school better and therefore make his life easier.

Make your cv right for that school. If you teach A-level and the school does IB, show how your A-level experience has prepared you for teaching IB (find out about it first!). Make a reference to something that you have found out about the school through research; I always like that, I'm a real sucker for someone who gives the impression that this is the one school in the world they want to work in.

And to emphasise something SMT Dude said about interviews: be friendly but not matey. I had an application last week that began: Hello Jennifer. Just a teensy weensy bit of formality might be better.

9. Agreed, and it's easy to get it right when the principal is a man, but it's often rather difficult to be formal when the job ad/website doesn't indicate whether the female principal is a Miss, a Mrs. or a Ms.

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

'Dear Jennifer Lopez'

is the correct formula when hints about Mrs, Ms or Miss are ... missing.

Similarly, 'Dear British School of Ruritania', is perfectly acceptable if you are making a general enquiry or if you are not sure which one of the daunting list of directors, chairs and principals on the website is the boss.

11. Thank you SMT Dude; yes, my pupils do call me J-Lo, but they think that I don't know.

12. Jennifer - at least your nickname smacks of glamour. When I was pregnant I was known as 'PO' from the teletubbies.

(sorry to go off on a tangent on a serious thread)

13. Still being ignored and no response, I am though, quite determined to get it on the top of the list.

Hi Rhea
    Looks like that my request for CV outline will be burried under the discussion about who is doing their job better. Can you please read post 51.
    Thanks

14. Hi,

Just reading all the info about CV's and have a question. My husband is about to apply for a TESOL job in portugal and has been told to use a european cv format- what is it? Ben looking at a few formats and which one do you use- all look a bit confusing?

Thanks

15. Sorry, php, I haven't been ignoring you - haven't been on-line for several days.On its way to you now!

16. Can I please have a copy too? I would be most gratefull if you could send me one.
    tjonesy17@hotmail.com

17. Thank you to Jennifer et al on behalf of all of us who are about to start on the long quest for a new post. Great advice.

Rhea - I would love a copy of your CV format if you haven't got fed up with all of us asking for it!

erikbristow@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks
    Eric

18. I hope this isn't the straw that breaks the camel's back but Rhea, would you mind very much if I added my name to the lengthy list of requests? Or, if anyone who has been sent the format by Rhea could forward it on so she isn't doing all the work by herself.

madam_ward@hotmail.com

Thank you.

19. Thanks Rhea. Very useful.

Hope you are all having a great weekend. Jennifer, you should try my nickname - The Crafty Cockney - makes me sound like a wheeler dealer wideboy. Could be accurate though.......