1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what's your CV like?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 01brian, Oct 22, 2005.

1. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Re: earlier postings

I would never reject an application on the basis that someone had moved around a lot in the last 4 or 5 years. People have their reasons for leaving. They also have their reasons for staying and "8 years commitment" could read "8 years in an easy school with low expectations".

Go for the strength of the application and find out about the person at interview. If they can justify staying/moving on and they fit the bill in general, sign 'em up for the first contract, treat 'em like professionals and they'll renew if it suits.

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

The interview isn't enough to find out about the person. Even references can be highly suspect. A selector has to look at all available evidence and even then s/he can make a wrong choice and so can the interviewee. In my time I've had some spectacular successes and dropped some massive bricks on both sides of the table.

3. kemevez

Of course! I didn't mean to simplify it to the extent that you just play it by ear at interview. Just don't reject the application solely because of 4 schools in 5 years.
    As an interviewee I've also made some horrendous choices of schools, was very lucky with my first overseas post when I was green, and made a couple of great choices as well.
    We could find a reason to reject every application if tried. There'd be no interviewees!
    Would you want a teacher who stayed at a bad school for 3 or 4 years just to stiffen up his or her CV?

4. Mainwaring

I've found that most schools are like the curate's egg (good in parts) and one can make at least a temporary diffence. Search Associates has a checklist for school administrators. My dodgiest category has always been 'tolerance of frustration'. I've felt that it's good for the soul and for the kids (my own and the students) when I've managed to tough out a frustrating situation up to the end of the contract. However, some situations are just not tenable, like the school whose owner used to pocket the income tax he deducted at source, then steal the teacher's final salary to placate the tax authorities.

5. Thanks Rhea.

6. A great help thanks Rhea.

7. Hello Rhea! Could you help me, too? In Germany we get a mark in a state examination, and that's the only thing that counts - no covering letter, no interview... So I don't know what to write. Can you tell me, too, how long one of these letters of reference should be? My headteacher isn't used to write references like here in England... Thanks!
    fox in London

foxinLondon@gmx.net

8. Ignorantly, I've only read the first page of this. It's confirmed me in my belief that headteachers need to be replaced by professional managers.

9. I am not sure about the photo. Maybe I am just a bit old and set in my ways, but formal is good. Black and white, no fancy type settings, leave all the visions of education locked safely away and let a Head imagine what you look like.

10. Spit - as one of the Headteachers represented on the first page, I would be interested to know in what way you consider that we are not managing sufficiently professionally.

11. I hope that you haven't got fed up with all the requests so far. With this assumption in mind I dare ask you to send me a copy of layout of your CV please.
    php95saj@gmail.com
    Thank you

12. Mainwaring

Jennifer: Sadly, it doesn't look as if Spit is going to give us that tutorial on how real professionals should run schools. I thought a combination of experience and management qualifications from two reputable universities would cut the mustard, but it looks as if I should have studied at M&S or Volkswagen.

13. Why yes, Mainwaring, we are obviously doing something very wrong.

*sigh*

Although I wouldn't rush out to sign up for training with M&S - haven't I read about them losing customers, losing sales, losing senior staff, because the quality of its products is not what the customers want? But I expect that this is exactly what Spit means about us.

Funny how no-one else but Spit seems to have noticed how badly we are doing. Why do you think it is that so many teachers want to work with us? And then they tend to leave only through force majeure (retirement, babies, partner moving, etc.)? Why did over 1,000 people come to our recent Open Days for prospective pupils? Why do parents demand a re-mark of the entrance exam papers if their daughter doesn't get offered a place in this poorly-managed school?

Do you think it's because we have constant good reviews in the press? Because the Daily Telegraph said we were Gold Star winners? Because the Financial Times also complimented us? Or perhaps it's linked to us being the school with the greatest GCSE value-added in South-West London each year since the Government started publishing these results? And because our ALIS value-added for A-level is now into the clear white sky at the top? Because our sixth-formers do university modules alongside their A-levels? Because of the quality of the music, drama, sporting opportunities? Because we have high standards in everything, including high standards of behaviour, linked to our ethos of service and respect?

I just don't know, but it will be nice to get within Spitting distance of some hints on how to improve.

14. Jennifer/Mainwaring,

Not sure if he was being serious or not (same goes to you!). But at the end of the day there are always people who know how to do the job better than you (and me - I even get told I turn the fan on in the ICT room too EARLY in the morning, heavens above...).

Just a shame that these people either:
    a. Would sink without a trace in education (if they are outside of education); or
    b. Would never get a position of power due to their cynicism, lack of talent, etc.

Managers wouldn't get where they are if they couldn't manage. On the whole, anyway.

15. Mainwaring

Quite so, dear colleagues. Given the ups and downs at M&S and the massive job losses threatened at VW, I did of course choose my two work-ex 'placements' with tongue locked firmly into cheek.

16. Hi Rhea

Sorry to be a pain but seeing as my CV needs updating could you send me the outline that you use? Thanks in advance!

julesarmstrong77@hotmail.com

17. kemevez

"Managers wouldn't get where they are if they couldn't manage. On the whole, anyway"

This really depends on your definition of the word manage. Yes, many international schools are just fine - should be a lot better but stumble on with management steering a ship that's already been set in motion - requiring little imagination.
    There are no perfect schools but there are many that are excellent all round. Then there are those run by buffoons who slimed their way to the top because they couldn't cope in the classroom. Hats off to anyone in these places who leaves before the end of contract to take up another post. Not doing a runner just leaving before the end of contract - something that is perfectly acceptable outside of education. You can make a temporary difference in these places and even have a lasting influence but the management also need to be shown repeatedly that they are **** until it sinks in.

18. Thanks for the cv outline Rhea. It's given me some useful ideas for re-modelling mine some time this week.

19. Hi Rhea
    Looks like that my request for CV outline will be burried under the discussion about who is doing their job better. Can you please read post 51.
    Thanks