1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

So...what's going on your pancakes?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Mar 8, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Lemon and sugar for me - I love sweet and sour things.
    If my fiance's home (which he's not at the moment), he normally tips about half a jar of golden syrup over, then crunches up some crunchy nut cornflakes - far too sickly for me.
    His other favourite is a good dollop of peanut butter with chopped up mars bars - apparently a snickers bar would be "sacrilege".
    What about you?

2. egyptgirl

Lemon and sugar for me - I love sweet and sour things.
    If my fiance's home (which he's not at the moment), he normally tips about half a jar of golden syrup over, then crunches up some crunchy nut cornflakes - far too sickly for me.
    His other favourite is a good dollop of peanut butter with chopped up mars bars - apparently a snickers bar would be "sacrilege".
    What about you?

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm a savoury fan...
    My pancakes were filled with very, <u>very</u> garlicky mushrooms.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Simple for me - lemon and sugar.
    Mrs 909 will, I expect, have banana and nutella. Too sweet for me!

5. My son eats them with tomato sauce... [​IMG]

6. egyptgirl

Is that a pregnancy craving, Nick? Or just her usual topping?
    That would be way too sweet for me too!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Nope - she always demands banana and nutella - she has a very sweet tooth does my wife.
    Her recent craving is for those absurdly sweet banana fritters in syrup they sell in Chinese restaurants and takeaways - guess who went and got her one last night?? Luckily the Chinese takeaway is about 2 minutes' walk from our front door!
    I'm actually not convinced she's so much craving them as using pregancy as an excuse to eat them (given that her other craving is for pork scratchings!) - but it would be a braver man than me to accuse a tired, hormonal, pregnant woman of such a thing!

8. egyptgirl

I must remember that one!
    I cannot recommend highly enough that you keep this one to yourself. One of our lovely friends had a baby girl last year but her husband happened to mention to her that he thought she was using her pregnancy as an excuse to eat more and he found himself on the sofa for the last 2 weeks of her pregnancy.

9. Icing sugar and either lemon or orange

Made American ones for Sunday breakfast, added cranberries and raisins to the mix, then ate with mango, banana and vanilla yoghurt - three of five fruit-a-day, and satisfied the hunger pangs till mid afternoon :)

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a stinking cold and could not face making pancakes ---- so the children made them for themselves!
    Nutella and lemon juice+sugar.

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I totally forgot about pancakes. I think it is too late to make them now.

12. I forgot too.
    I shall make some tomorrow.
    With golden syrup on top.

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Haha! Duly noted. Although, if anything, I'm telling her to eat more as I don't think she's eating enough at the moment. I realise pregancy can do weird things with appetites, and the heartburn must be dreadful, but I'm happy to get her the things like the banana fritters and pork scratchings as they're a high calorie fix.
    Moreso that the things she has been craving are the things she loves anyway - like sweetcorn and tinned spaghetti. We tend not to eat as much of these as she likes usually, because I can take or leave sweetcorn and certainly don't want it with everything (whereas she'd happily stick in everything), and I can't abide tinned spaghetti - so I do think her 'cravings' to eat these are just her way of telling me "I'm going to eat them and there's nothing you can do about it!"

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Oh, and we had crepes in the end - my wife makes the most amazing, gossamer-thin ones. Both ate them with lemon and sugar!