1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what was good about your week?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 20, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As many examples as you want to share.
    Mine are:

Two excellent trainee teachers arrived in my year group, one in my class. couldn't ask for better.

A year 1 child told me how fabulous my flower drawing was (it so wasn't!).

Year 6 (level 5 booster child) told me I was the best teacher they had never had!

DH pointed out how high achieving some of my writers were and that yes I was correct to say they had a good chance of achieving level 3!

We booked a trip to a local museum...world famous Ashmolean in Oxford! Sooooo excited!

And next week we will make houses in maths (how to use a ruler!) in the style of a gingerbread cottage and start on some fabulous art (Take One Picture project) and do a showpiece assembly for parents who will then come and see our classroom. AND I get to spend 4 hours observing other people teach, which I love doing, can learn soooo much!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As many examples as you want to share.
    Mine are:

Two excellent trainee teachers arrived in my year group, one in my class. couldn't ask for better.

A year 1 child told me how fabulous my flower drawing was (it so wasn't!).

Year 6 (level 5 booster child) told me I was the best teacher they had never had!

DH pointed out how high achieving some of my writers were and that yes I was correct to say they had a good chance of achieving level 3!

We booked a trip to a local museum...world famous Ashmolean in Oxford! Sooooo excited!

And next week we will make houses in maths (how to use a ruler!) in the style of a gingerbread cottage and start on some fabulous art (Take One Picture project) and do a showpiece assembly for parents who will then come and see our classroom. AND I get to spend 4 hours observing other people teach, which I love doing, can learn soooo much!

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Er, Friday 4pm?

4. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Not much!

5. dc521

dc521 New commenter

Despite teaching the class from hell, I was graded outstanding in the performance management cycle.
    Yes, I am feeling a slightly bit boastful but for once, I don't care!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Brilliant news dc521. You definitely should be feeling boastful and showing off.

Fantastic news...

7. What a lovely idea for a thread. I haven't had the best of weeks to say the least, so I thought for longer, thinking surely there must have been something good about all that has happened this week. And having thought for a while I guess the thing that was good about this week was when a 'non-writing' child sat down to write with confidence - and at the end of it I could read 3 words he had written, brilliant. Progress being made.

8. Today: An extended wake up shake up with a bit of Dixieland jazz and Olly Murs (Dance with me - such a good wake up shake up song). Lovely way to start the day. Highlights this week: A truly funny and weird 3d art installation based on the work of Yayoi Kusama, using foam beads, glass wire and beads, pipe cleaners and home made spotty flowers. Lots of fun to make.
    Things to look forward to: Helping the children to plan and create the class art gallery, finishing their giant canvasses and starting their weird painted shoe sculptures. Slight downside is the amount of children going home with painted hair as they keep waving their paintbrushes around!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is exactly why I started the thread!

Love it when children just start to write so it can be read...such a beautiful moment. Made me smile and remember all those times that make being a teacher so very lovely. Thank you.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL NOT a downside at all. Tell parents it is a deliberate way to get them to ask their children what (on earth) they have been up to at school!

11. I taught country dancing and made a thaumatrope (!). Started perspective paintings, which are coming along brilliantly, and did a really exciting team-bsed 'quick on the draw' activity to teach Victorian working practices - great week!

12. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Oops, sorry I didn't get in the spirit of the thread because I've been off sick and my CD from 100 Literacy Hours is broken. My class is lovely though.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Eh what? Should I make one with my class?

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ahhhh you can be forgiven then! :)

Excellent news. Dump the framework and teach what you class need to learn in a context which excites them and you! See there is always a silver lining!

15. Hee - are you doing Victorians? It's a Victorian toy - you will know it if you see it - the one with a double sided card on strings - picture of a bird on one side and a cage on the other - twist and spin and it looks like the bird is in the cage. The kids' faces just lit up after they'd done all the work and then tried it out. Fab!

16. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

Excellent news. Dump the framework and teach what you class need to
    learn in a context which excites them and you! See there is always a
    silver lining!

I only use it to get the occasional story etc off it, but I work out of the UK and it's the only CD for Year 3 and I'm in trouble when they find out - well, out of pocket when I have to buy a new one.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Awwww fab.

No we aren't doing the Victorians, but we are doing Hansel, and Gretel and Hansel was put in a cage... AND I have art and science week coming up. :)

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Fair enough...

19. One of my children that literally WILL NOT sit still for even 2 minutes sitting for a big chunk of a session and COMPLETING his shape poem, followed by very proudly bringing it to show me!

It's the little things sometimes! :)

20. cricketgirl

cricketgirl New commenter

This thread has made me smile - what a lovely idea on a Friday! We've just had Science Week. Year 3 enjoyed making their clay volcanoes erupt using bicarb and vinegar, followed by popping a mentos sweet into a small bottle of cola (on the playground..!) and watching it erupt - they squealed with delight!
    Ahhh..... moments: one of my little ones writing independently and being able to read it back to me; hearing an "aside" from the children complimenting me on my photographic skills (I have a photo of the local riverbank as my screen background picture).
    I can't imagine having any other job, despite the paperwork....