1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what to do with the NHS?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Nov 23, 2019.

1. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

About 3.5 times as much as hospitals make in parking charges.
    What if GPs charged for parking, think of the money they could make there.

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If it's cheaper than the station car park, it could work.

Kandahar likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Amidst all this discussion of where NHS resouces ought to be focused, little attention gets paid to the fact that an ingrowing toenail can be in the eyes of the sufferer, as debilitating a complaint as their emphysema. So will the skin disorder that irritates all night long to prevent the patient getting much sleep.

On a thread like this which wants to pigeonhole which conditions justify NHS resouces being required, posters fail to appreciate that it isn't that simple to deal with one without attempting to deal will every debilaitating disease an individual has before an improvement in the individual's life takes place.

Despite the miracles the NHS has been able to achieve in some areas. the NHS isn't being run by Jesus.

It's being run by people who try to help the people that Jesus forsook; and no matter how many prayers were made, Jesus ignored them.

If all the money given to religion was redirected to the NHS, who knows what might be achieved?

ajrowing likes this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Unlike you come over all religious my good Duke.

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Privatise it, then let the working class use witch doctors.

Considering the huge vote for Bozza coming up, it is clearly the 'will of the people'.

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Don't knock the shamen. Their role is well established and deserved in society.

8. Duke of York

You'll have to forgive me for not responding to the many pictures of On the Buses, you've posted. It's just twigged with me how much a fan of the series you must have been to know where all the best bits can be found.

9. LondonCanary

It's just that your sexist posts remind me of how grim the 1970s were for women,. On the Buses encapsulates that so well. Thankfully, most men have moved on now.

10. Duke of York

Yet clearly, if the likes of you hadn't been watching On the Buses, while I was out entertaining those nurses and making sure they had something hot inside then to see them though the next day, the TV series would have died the death after the first episode, wouldn't it?

Whatever you imagine On the Buses represented, it only persisted because you were an avid viewer.

11. LondonCanary

Goodness, you really are a sexist dinosaur.

12. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Sounds awfully like common sense.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My sister works in the NHS as a nursing manager (although she still does some nursing too).

She is incredibly pessimistic about what will happen to the NHS once Bozo and his minions get to work.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  14. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

I've never cancelled an appointment, nor failed to turn up. Why should I pay for the failings of others?

How will charging me for a service I already pay taxes for help me improve my attendance rate?

Oh, and if I don't turn up, how will they charge me?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting link...

So in absolute terms the Tories have raised the amount spent on the NHS. £132 billion compared to the final year of Brown at £116.8 billion

And per head of population

2018 - £1,986.75
    2009 - £1688.77

So spending more per head as well.

So more money, more money per head... no cuts so that's a Labour lie... so why is the NHS in crisis?

16. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Doesn't she want a pay rise, more nurses and better hospitals?

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There was that insightful link provided by @smoothnewt detailing how pension arrangements curtailed consultant hours, causing backlogs in surgery.

Also we've become over-reliant on overseas nurses at the same time as the UK heads towards Brexit, meaning we need to up recruitment domestically.

Our univeristy system is now geared towards cheaper social sciences degrees [a room, a lecturer, AV equipment and a textbook] over the more expensive science/medical degrees because universities are charging one base rate of fees for what they provide which isn't reflective of costs. So we have a need to recruit overseas staff.

There was a local news story that last week that our hospital has ambulances stacking up... a result perhaps of the hospital being built to facilitate the needs of a city of 150,000 while the city now has 200,000? A 33% increase in possible patients...

Kandahar likes this.
  18. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Population growth is a clearly a major factor in NHS capacity but the solution is quite simple though for a variety of reasons impossible to implement. Any government could (possibly already have) have an analysis done on the cost to the NHS per head of our aging population for a decent standard of service (short waiting lists, enough Doctors and nurses to provide a good standard of care without the need for crazy hours). In order to bring the latter about now and in the future would cost a known amount of money. That amount I suspect would be eye watering so the government know they cannot provide it without significant and unpopular tax hikes. In order to be seen to be doing something they throw in a few billion here and there to keep the wolf from the door while everyone who understands anything about the NHS knows it is gradually collapsing to the cost of both NHS staff and to the patients. In summary, the government know darned well how much is required to properly fund the NHS but there is no way that amount of money can be provided and even it were, yet more would be required as the population grows, we all get older and drugs and equipment get ever more expensive. At some point in the future something has got to give.

border_walker and Kandahar like this.
  19. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

There are so many areas of life were you end up paying because of failures in others.

Kandahar likes this.
  20. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Why add another one then?