1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what to do with the NHS?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Nov 23, 2019.

1. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Food banks should check whether people have a phone contract before supporting them?

Burndenpark likes this.
  2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

They are on offer at my local clinic - upon referal by your GP - and carried out with local anaesthetic injection and scalpal.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

That would conflict with your bean counters.

4. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

These exceptions, would they require even more bean counters to make sure they were applied rigorously?

5. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/skin-tags/

May help you.

6. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I know all about skin tags as I am covered in them, being in my 8th decade. For a 2 year old (as in the case of your daughter) - then yes, why not go ahead.

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How is that going to work if I have to empty my piggy bank for all the pennies it contains to get an appointment? How long will it take the receptionist to count them, issue a receipt and take the money to the post office, wher she'll have to wait whilst the postmistress counts it up again and issues her with a receipt?

When the receptionist gets back, she'll need to do whatever it takes to enter the transaction on the surgery accounts, so that when the bean counters audit the accounts they can be assured the receptionist didn't nick any of my pennies, If they discover there's a penny short, an investigation will need to be launched, which will almost certainly discover a transposition error was made somewhere along the line.

All the while this is going on, there will be patients hanging on the phone in the hope that someone will eventually answer it and they can book an appointment.

How far have you thought this through, @dumpty?

ajrowing likes this.
  8. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

So you are not suggesting that the NHS does less cosmetic surgery than it does now. I am glad I now have that clear in my mind. Thank you for your patience in explaining this to me.

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Don’t go to any trouble, I believe what you are saying. I just wondered if men being educated on family planning alongside the women would be beneficial. Negative male attitudes toward condom use in many cultures could be addressed for example.

lanokia and ajrowing like this.
  10. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

You are being a little hard of understanding. Nevertheless - think what you wish.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm pretty sure it would be beneficial if done together... I don't have a deep contrary stance on your point.

I would point out that I mean whole holistic education covering all aspects of the curriculum... not just sex ed.

Jamvic likes this.
  12. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Which sounds nice until you consider firstly - it's not really centralised on a national scale and secondly it needs to be centralised at least to a regional/ county scale - it's just not feasible to kit out each and every village/town hospital with its own intensive care, heart surgery, brain injury department etc

There is something called economies of scale- that's why big companies with hundreds of thousands of employees can turn a profit year after year while so many small ones go bust within 5 years of starting.

There are still substantial placements aren't there?

13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Well works well in Asia and there are many ways to pay these days, not sure why it would be such an issue.

(You paid on the way out, not on the way in)

towncryer, border_walker and Kandahar like this.
  14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Just as you do with a haircut.

dumpty likes this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Would there be a charge for children to see the GP?

Perhaps to save duplication of bureaucracy the same exceptions to the charge could apply as do for prescription charges. What proportion of prescriptions are charged for?

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Why?

Boots have no issues separating prescription charges and collecting payments from those who pay as opposed to those who do not.

Sure, some will abuse this system as they do the present one - just a way we might be able to get some redress.

towncryer, border_walker and Kandahar like this.
  17. Burndenpark

Neither was it set up to keep people alive long after they had ceased to be able to look after their selves.

There are a few problems with your simple solutions- not least- the cost of treating the old dwarfs that of treating the young. And if there's a gap in the population then that means there's a lot fewer people available to work and fund the NHS when these unborn people would have been working but for your cunning plan. Interesting that both of you also want to control migration.

peter12171 likes this.
  18. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

For my amusement I thought I would calculate the increase in the NHS budget that would occur if each GP appointment was charged at 3quid a pop.
    Assuming everyone pays, the NHS budget would increase by about 0.67%.
    If on the other hand there are exemptions and a similar proportion of appointments are paid for as prescriptions then the increase in the NHS budget would be about 0.067%.

Of course some of that increase may be needed to spend on an increase in the 43,000 or so managers in the NHS.

Burndenpark likes this.
  19. Burndenpark

They are the easiest if you use financial methods. You could go for something harsher if you like?

Sounds pretty simple - any idea of the cost of them?

So that's what? 20 years taking a pension - or 3 pensions in your case-after 45 years of paying towards it? ? Did you really pay around 40% of your earnings over 45 years to fund your 20 years of claiming 3 pensions?

ajrowing likes this.
  20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Every little helps :p and of course, the idea here is it makes people think twice about cancelling an appointment.

How much is 0.7% in actual dollars? (Or pounds)

towncryer likes this.