1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what to do with the NHS?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Nov 23, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A reasonable question:

We could use prohibitive means... demand monies for extra births, increase costs for larger families, prohibit certain activities to larger families... I am not in favour of these.

I genuinely think education is really the only way forward. Education for women in developing countries and education about carbon footprint and population impact on climate in developed.

There could be a social stigma option as well... much akin to how Sweden has a stigma on flights... but stigmatisation isn't fashionable these days.

Kandahar likes this.
  2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Examples?
    A good start might be to level the playing field for the NHS with private health care and the NHS's subcontractors/ outsourcing partners.

NHS organisations have no standard exemption from VAT, however there are two different ways you can recover all or some of the VAT you pay. All services the NHS procures from VAT-registered businesses will be a standard rated supply for the purposes of VAT. ... NHS trusts have no blanket exemption from paying VAT.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw...hUKEwirsJCJiIPmAhXFh1wKHSvzCiAQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

Many Trusts are now setting up "subsidiary" companies - this is only possible for foundation trusts and then only for one company. The way VAT works (the story is) a private company or subsidiary or a subcontractor can claim back the VAT- the NHS can't.

dumpty likes this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

4. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

But so do many other things, most of which are outside of NHS to do anything about.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

We all seem to be able to pay NHS dentist fees without issue or it being a logistical nightmare for the surgery?

For 3 quid? Unlikely.

And of course, the idea is this helps raise funds for the NHS which could perhaps be used to ensure conditions are better for more to get quicker access to the care they need.

I would suggest the fact it can take two weeks to get an appointment and then need referrals and such that likewise can take weeks if not months, already assists in keeping some from getting the care they need.

6. border_walker

But increases to the population are having a huge effect on the environment, thus has an effect on everyone's health. Why is there an increase in mental health conditions now, seems much worse. Might it be an environmental condition resulting directly or indirectly from our ever increasing population resulting in a deteriorating environment.

7. border_walker

Most could simply pay directly from their bank account prior to getting an appointment.

towncryer and Kandahar like this.
  8. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

That would probably come under essential (as mentioned in my earlier post) - given that it sounds to be significantly disfiguring - and likely to worsen with age.

9. border_walker

or reverse a tax and benefit that encourages having children for some.

10. border_walker

And yet in our local doctors surgery there is a monthly post of the number that make appointments and don't turn up wasting money. Perhaps a nominal fee would stop this.

dumpty likes this.
  11. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

Here is your post of 30minutes ago.

"but routine cosmetic unessential procedures (e.g.removing minor skin tags) should be ceased"

I am pleased that you have changed your mind and now think that removing minor skin tags is perfectly sensible.

Burndenpark likes this.
  12. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Why not just fine those who don't turn up? In 60+ years I've never failed to turn up - why should I be forced to pay because some do?

towncryer likes this.
  13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Japan and Korea - I cannot remember how it was in Singapore when there but I believe it was the same.

An incredible amount of freedom of choice with regards to treatment but quite a lottery when it came to the treatment plan. (Not all treatments would be 100% covered under the compulsory government protection package)

14. ajrowing

Is someone who is relying on a food bank to feed themselves and their children going to have 3 quid to pay to see a GP?

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I recall a study that said it had more impact [also the education of boys outpaces girls already]

I shall try and find the study.

Burndenpark and Jamvic like this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Why did you not say "skin tag", but instead the long-winded flap of skin and fat, which migh or might not be a small skin tag? I have not changed my mind at all.

17. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

They will no doubt have a phone on a contract (some at least).

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

... [that's to signify me thinking ... odd how I post]

I can see that argument... going to mull that one over... don't want to dismiss or endorse without giving it thought [and don't want you to think I've skimmed past without consideration]

border_walker likes this.
  19. ajrowing

Does the NHS currently remove skin tags routinely?

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Maybe they would indeed find a way and want this if they knew it would lead to faster appointments and care?

I am sure any system that involves payment will - as I did say - include many exceptions and no doubt the example you give would be in that area.

border_walker and Kandahar like this.