1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what to do with the NHS?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Nov 23, 2019.

1. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I would like to see,and would happily pay for,a private option with the addition of more clinics,more availablity.
    Every country I have lived in so far has this alongside its governmnet provided service and there is always a proliferation of clinics and labs...no long waits for results.

Yes, I know posters will be up in arms about this but, to me the NHS is a dead horse and no amount of flogging is going to revivie it...and in the meantime the majority of British citizens are experiencing the worst service and unacceptable waiting times from everything from appoinments to life saving surgery. Private options are so limited it's almost as bad...last summer I could not get a private app either because presumably they are dealing with NHS overlflow.

We are also limited in the UK as to what we can get from the pharmacy. Everywhere else I have lived pahrmacists are respected for their knowledge and can dish out medicines and advice for most minor ailments,including antibiotics,and medicines for blood pressure,diabetes etc without prescription.

If we had private care we might also have a more healthy workforce. In my experience you get to see a Dr right away and illness is nipped in the bud before it becoems worse...average time off work sick...1 day in most cases. With the NHS people seem to be left to suffer until things have got out of hand.

If the amounf of walking sticks/frames/whell chairs and mobility scotters on our streets is an advert for our NHS,,It doesn't look good..it really doesn't.

caress likes this.
  2. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Agreed. And also is there much comparison with our qualifications and those of nurses/dr's taken from overseas? In other words do qualified nurses fron other countries have the same degree as future British nurses are expected to have....and is it necessary to have a degree? It seems unfair to expect our would be nurses to take degrees in nuirsing and get themselves into debt while people from other ountries are taken on with less vigourous and expensive training. They are not less good nurses for not having a degree so why insist ours take an academic instead of a practical route?

3. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Same here. Never had a problem paying for treatment.No hold ups. it all works smoothly.If it can be done everywhere else it can be done in UK.
    i would gladly pay a fee fpr an appointment if it meant I would get one. Perhaps if people had to apy for an app they would think twice before going. The problrm is that in the UK the population has been brought up to rely on the NHS for just about everyrthing and common sense has gone out of the window. That plus we are limited in self medication due to restrictions.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Remember Vote Leave promised to spend £350 million a week on the NHS if we voted to leave the EU.

I'll be holding them to that promise, and I hope others do:

[​IMG]

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Between 1960 and 2010 medical school places in the United Kingdom rose by more than 70 per cent from 2,000 to 7,889, with a subsequent increase in the number of doctors graduating from medical schools to 5,684 in 2008/9. Overall, the medical workforce has increased substantially; the number of hospital doctors alone increased by 30 per cent to 143,000 in the past decade.
    See - https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/time-think-differently/trends-workforce-medical

6. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Mr M is getting well looked after at present. He thought he had pulled a muscle (chest) but me and the girls packed him off to the GP. GP referred him to cardiology to be on the safe side. BP , cholesterol, BMI ,ECG and stress tests all normal. He can comfortably walk the 2 miles into town and does so regularly. Consultant at the local hospital was 95% certain all was well but insisted as Mr M has diabetes he should have an angiogram just to be sure. Now under Barts which was a shock but they are amazing.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Sobering report on the NHS today:

The NHS in England faces paying out £4.3bn in legal fees to settle outstanding claims of clinical negligence, the BBC has learned through a Freedom of Information request ... This figure includes all current unsettled claims and projected estimates of ones in the future ... The Association of Personal Injuries Lawyers believes the cost is driven by failures in patient safety.​

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Clearly we need to privatise it. It's the only solution !

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

How would that stop people suing? :confused:

10. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

People wouldn't need to sue because we all know that private industry is far better than the public sector. One just needs to look at the trains or probation service to know that, also academy chains.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

True trains are much better than they were.
    I have yet to meet an nhs patient who has complained about being sent to a private hospital for treatment.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

You took the words right out of my mouth !