1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what to do with the NHS?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Nov 23, 2019.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I sometimes wonder if the main parties deliberately keep the NHS down and almost out so they can use it as a political tennis ball in election campaigning.

Yet nothing seems to get done?

What is the solution? Or indeed do we expect too much and the NHS is as good as it ever can get?

install and JosieWhitehead like this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It is good, it is always going to need huge funding increases its the nature of the beast from inception and will likely always be.

It sees streamlining at some times and investment in others not unlike any other huge organisation, if that ties with the economic cycle then so be it.

We do need to be realistic, managing expectations and appreciating and investing in what we have whenever we can.

border_walker and dumpty like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

"So what can we do" ... about people who start sentences with "so"? ;)

4. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

The problem with the NHS is not health tourism or the nasty Tories, it is that it was set up to provide free appendectomies and tonsillectomies (no idea if that is correct spelling) and treat labourers who fell off scaffolding and broke their legs. It was never designed to provide heart transplants and treat children with leukaemia. But obviously, now we want it to. And so we will have to pay more. A politician wants to get voted in for the next five years, so short term promises rule. Not one of them wants to say we'll have to up national insurance an awful lot. Or we have to accept that not all treatment can be provided.

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I admit as I pencilled the title I thought 'could this be another 25,000 posts thread' :p

I further admit I am not sure what to do about the NHS though. I have been living in countries with a part private health service and I did find it all much quicker and with far more depth of treatment.

(Everyone paid $3 for an appointment but you could use ANY doctor)

border_walker and smoothnewt like this.
  6. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Do you think a Corbyn government would 'keep the NHS down and almost out'?

Voting for a PM who will protect it would be a good start.

moggycat likes this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

As and "end user" it is difficult to qualify, but my perception is that the NHS was much better up until 2010. The measures they use for it are a bit like Ofsted i.e. just a box ticking exercise, and it is not just due to increasing waiting lists. I have to say that some regard the NHS as theirs to access for whatever reason, while others never go near it if they can help it. I like to think I am one of the latter, but ageing means I have to.

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Unlikely but it seems to me all I ever hear is 'we will give more money to the NHS'.

But is that the solution? It does not appear to have worked.

Oscillatingass and border_walker like this.
  9. needabreak

No it never will but we should try to keep up with it even though the problems are unlikely to be completely solved without creating others shouldn't we? I think its about admitting this honestly and admitting that no amount of money will solve all societies problems, it can and should alleviate them but it really doesn't solve them because our expectations change.

border_walker likes this.
  10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I believe that as a country we need to look at what works effectively elsewhere and move towards building a system that could work more effectively here.
    I also believe that in the meantime the way the NHS is managed should be studied most carefully to see how it could be run more efficiently to the benefit of patients.

border_walker, catmother and dumpty like this.
  11. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Budgets rose by 1.5 per cent each year on average in the 10 years between 2009/10 to 2018/19, compared to the 3.7 per cent average rises since the NHS was established.

In the last decade, it hasn't had enough funding. The government has had other priorities. It's up to you, when you vote, to decide whether you want a government which prioritises the NHS or not.

JL48, monicabilongame and dumpty like this.
  12. needabreak

I don't know of other countries that have a health service free at point of use to all, I expect they'd be emulating us, have I missed something or do you mean something else?

border_walker likes this.
  13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The issue for me is every election - without fail - we hear of long waiting lists and dire conditions etc, so surely it is enough now, do something about it?

Sure, we cannot expect perfection but we should call out and deal with the areas of waste and non service.

It seems to me no MP will dare demand serious change or even serious debate as the NHS is something we are told we MUST love, support, cherish and keep paying for.....and maybe that is indeed why it never seems to improve as a service.

14. needabreak

Or schools... Just had a letter from the NEU claiming to be non political but asking for their leaflets to be put through doors to promote the education agenda in the GE... Clearly the environment isn't their top agenda item... And so on and so forth... Feel free to add in all the other priority groups and their agendas...

15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We need a turbo-charged programme of family planning with an emphasis on population and services as they presently stand.

If we could hold off having any babies for the next ten years we could pull the NHS back from the brink.

We need posters of couples holding babies in shawls with
    Stobbit!
    Stobbit!
    Stobbit!

underneath.

border_walker and Kandahar like this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Certainly so - but an NHS that prioritises only essential healthcare, not IVF and cosmetic work.

Laphroig and border_walker like this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I write a really long reply and it vanished. Cant be ***** doing it again.
    The last line was "keep Trump's porky little trotters off it".

Laphroig, dumpty and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  18. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yes indeed - I don't know of another forum that has the ability to eat a lengthy post so readily.

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm glad it's not just me!

20. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Lil, do you click on the "save draft" icon?...