1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

!!!! :eek::eek:Where did ANYONE mention gender?
    The same objection applies whoever was mocked in this way.
    It's not funny.
    It's rude.

Good grief! How to twist an argument!

sadscientist and ilovesooty like this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I never understood why the police interviewed her under caution for “discrepancies” (*) in her election spending return, which they said amounts to a criminal offence, but then declared it would not be in the public interest to prosecute her. Mighty odd, especially as she is a trained accountant.

* Olney declared on her expenses form that she became a candidate on 31 October, but she announced herself as the candidate on 26 October. By declaring a false start date, Olney was able to cut several days of spending out of her regulated period.

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

Politicians are always getting the urine extracted out of them on these boards by teachers. Trump, Corbyn, May, Johnson.

I've heard worse than Mr Teccy's comment in any staffroom I have been in, and about the kids as well.

If you think teachers are paragons of virtue then you need to get out more and into a few schools. I am guessing you work at Mallory Towers or something like to be so easily outraged.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Basically because, as in criminal cases, there is not enough weight of evidence for the CPS to proceed.
    If it's too costly to collect evidence it might fail, or if it might not gain a criminal conviction

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

So it's fine for YOU to try and censor what I post, but not vice-versa?

'Get a grip' ? You're the one that seems to have lost it with an OTT response to mild criticism.

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Established commenter

Oh yeah really "mild"
    "Are you really employing this appalling 'shaming' technique as part of your argument set? Please tell me you aren’t a teacher. This kind of speech has no place in our society. I would suggest you are starting to move into the troll set of descriptors."​

7. alex_teccy

Anyone?

8. alex_teccy

It's not about offence or any of that stuff, it's because I have the "wrong" politics.

9. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

Yep. Totally fake outrage.

Same people who take swipes at Trump for his hair or tan (or whatever that orange stuff is). Or Maybots dancing etc, etc.

alex_teccy likes this.
  10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I would say influences, but doesn't matter as wasn't the question.

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

The book the secret barrister gives good explanation to these issues.

12. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

is NI solved yet ?

Are the Engerlund Nationalists still pretending they care about it ?

Everyday i grow in confidence that Boris wants to break up the union, he's doing a fantastic job of it and his army of absolute thickos (the die hard NO DEAL Nationalists) swallow it all

this weeks "break out of the European Union like the Incredible Hulk, he was a winner"

Not only is this childlike but the Incredible hulk was an incredibly angry man who caused a variety of collateral damage because he couldn't control his temper or work as a team so ran away and hid in isolation accompanied by sad piano music................Rule Britannia......(also bravo lady on the Proms)

this was even explained by Mark Ruffalo (actor who plays the Hulk) on Twitter - that's where we are at now

I think we need to LEAVE, this will never end. if we don't i think the UK has to split. only when the full impact is felt will things ever go back to normal, Russia and the Tory party's army of Brexit Bots infect Social Media with abject lies and nonsense and the foolish swallow it,

only when the damage has been inflicted (i hope it's not as bad as YellowHammer) will people seriously start to wake

Allowing the destruction of your education system and healthcare, no social mobility and lack of housing has turned you in on each other, your media has created false narratives about immigrants being given free stuff and houses (to make you feel better and have something to blame rather than face how you stood on the necks of your fellow citizens with your "i'm alright (union) Jack" mentality) and amazingly enough you are shocked when they want to come there. Also the same posters begging to retire

Your Gov's have failed at almost everything they set out to do, education is a mess - the workplace forums are a disaster with some of the cases I've read, people on their knees and begging to get out, discipline bordering on violent and incredible overcrowding, and that's before we even touch MAT's

The EU didn't do that.. Charlatans have taken you for a ride and when its pointed out by experts and judges you round on them and somehow it's their fault last week it was the Welsh - before it was the Scots

the footballification of politics has led us here - Right vs Left (though this is and always has been a spectrum)

my only worry is, when the EU can't get blamed anymore, who's "Engerlund" gonna blame next

13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

With the tribes I was showing their actions were not due to prejudice and so therefore could not be considered xenophobic.

No not unsure at all. Expressing the right to self-determination is not the same as being xenophobic. It is the comments and actions of the people that we judge. Self-determination built on xenophobia or racism is going to suffer over the long term, if history is to teach us.

EDIT: Out of interest where do you draw the line at self-determination? Should Scotland be allowed to decide again if they want to be independent? Should Cornwall? Or Tooting?

14. burajda

burajda Star commenter

London?

mathsmutt and Burndenpark like this.
  15. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

[
    I don't like some of the policies of the government, and even fewer of my MP. Can I use my right to self determination to be my own country?

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The risk is that you give up your existing rights and another country may declare war on you and invade you. That country maybe an entity like the People's Republic of China or your local drug dealer who has also declared himself a nation. Do not expect any help from the UK and its taxpayers to protect you.....unless you have previously negotiated to join NATO or the EU and contribute the necessary fees and percentages of your GDP

alex_teccy likes this.
  17. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

But I would have taken back control right?

Burndenpark and alex_teccy like this.
  18. alex_teccy

Says who? Sounds like a very 'noble savage' way of looking at it
    AJP Taylor once said the people usually draw the wrong lessons from history. I agree with him. I think it depends on how you define xenophobia. It seems that the term has become essentially indistinguishable from the term 'racism' at least in its' application. I don't have a problem for people voting for self-determination if it means that their cultural identity is preserved, nor if that identity has an ethnic component. Japan and Korea are ethnically 96% or there-abouts. I wonder if we would feel as comfortable using such terms with those nations as some people use for ethnic English leave voters.
    Or Pimlico ;)

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Which is why I was keen to define what we meant by the terms. In this case the link between xenophobia and a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience towards another group. So not an idea of noble savage but showing bounded empathy.

I don't think I am going to go down the rabbit hole of what is cultural identity. Too many things to define.

or Sealand?

Burndenpark likes this.
  20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

No man is an island though.