1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Seems bizarre to me... but I get that many support such schemes. Maybe they should volunteer their monies to cover the EU shortfall?

2. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Sarcasm I'm sure, but just to put the case for reassurance beyond doubt....

The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster is a mendacious, untrustworthy, self-absorbed, sociopathic, duplicitous, power-seeking, hypocritical, slime-ball who wastes the planet's oxygen every time he breathes in and whose every exhalation serves only to increase the amount of greenhouse gas.

So that's alright then, we'll be fine.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Well I think regarding the original question of the thread, we are in the same position pretty much as this time under May.

The remainers had and are successfully destroying any chance of a deal despite the woefully ironic cries of wanting to do the exact opposite and so it comes down to if Boris - unlike May - really does believe no deal is better than a bad deal and if he can use mechanisms to get it through.

If Boris does have option such as proroguing or delaying an election until Nov 1st, the question now is very simple - will he exercise those options?

He is not going to get an amended or new deal. Those saying they will fight to stop no deal are making sure he won't be able to achieve that. (At least not for now, there is always a chance the EU might sweat if it sees he is serious and there is indeed a mechanism to sideline the remainers helping the EU)

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

sodalime likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

He's only just back from holiday in Romania.
    I noticed our wannabe PM was in hiding again this morning leaving it to John McDonnell to tell us what Corbyn (Milne) was thinking.
    Honestly JM and RBL should be getting a proportion of Corbyn's salary, given the number of times they have to cover for him.

dumpty likes this.
  7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As a leave voter, I do start to wonder if I should campaign to get Corbyn in charge of the unity gov.

He would dither so much by the time he says - and very reluctantly - 'OK, let's ask them for an extension' it will be December and we already out...

8. LondonCanary

Jezza speech offering no Brexit solution. Just a GE pitch. Seems Brexit is not his thing.

lanokia and dumpty like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

His solution is he should be PM. It's all he's got. Tired old man leading a tired worn out party.

border_walker and LondonCanary like this.
  10. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

I can help here, its because (and this is really important) They lie

and the they lie and they lie and have continued to lie, in Fact Mr Gove (remember when we all thought he was awful because of education....but now he's Brexit so yay! look at us, we are Smart) is apparently setting up an official Gov Dept to tell us more Lies...........on our money! ;)

Politics is now a football match, where logic and reason has gone out the window, you just pick a side and cheer and if anyone says anything opposite, they're wrong even if experts say they are not....don't listen to them

The real test is...if it does kick off in NI (remember them?) and there is no good supply of food, medicines etc what happens then?

will the cheering people keep cheering? :rolleyes:

I predict this forum to be pretty quiet around 31st Oct........but I hope not :cool:

11. LondonCanary

His greatest opportunity to be PM and his speech today blew it. He has nothing to offer as a leader of a unity government. I'd take McDonnell rathen than one-trick pony Corbyn as caretaker PM any day,
    (Better caretaker PMs are available)

sodalime likes this.
  12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Arlene Foster? She isn't an MP. Nicola didn't sign.

sodalime likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Post 16421. The canary sang.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Taking back control, controlling our own fishing, doing deals, getting agreements, Norway, Canada and Switzerland were all ways of gently leading us to allow the shutters to be lowered.

16. LondonCanary

nomad, nixmith and border_walker like this.
  17. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Nix- they are telling fibs to confuse you. They have form in this area- remember how quickly they walked away from the £350m a week for the NHS?

As has been said/ shown- we have several years to repay... we could walk away and refuse to give it, but firstly that would hit the credibility of our government (no don't snigger) and make it all but impossible to issue bonds or sign international deals. It would also cost us a fortune in lawyers fees and eventually interest.

Movement (I think) was in the withdrawal agreement.

Problem here is that you didn't vote to end freedom of movement, to take control of our fishing waters (and exclusion from the EUs). You voted for us to stop being full members of the EU- just that. This could mean anything from being like Norway or Switzerland (as Farage suggested) and still being locked into almost everything to No Deal (as suggested by - no one of influence).

By the way be careful what you wish for- we could insist that all their working age nationals go home and stop plugging the gaps in our economy- in exchange we can have a few million retired pensioned from the Costas etc.

You heard his latest musings this morning?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49391297

I think he still does his own thinking, but then has to figure how to slip it past his handlers.

sodalime likes this.
  18. Burndenpark

I don't think any of them offer an instant departure option do they?
    NT & RAC have an annual subscription - you can't walk away after 6 months and get a refund.
    Most gyms - so far as I know- expect you to give notice of cancelation and pay up to that date.

However - given the interweaving of our and EU laws, our trade links, even our levels of migration in all directions- to pretend that EU membership is as simple as being a gym or NT member shows the person to be either very stupid and/or very dishonest.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Well I suppose he has been consistent in that his solution to Brexit is a GE (even though what Labour wants to do then is far from a solution).

But on the GE one I really don't get it.

What makes him feel Labour can or will win a GE??? (Unless he means 'please deliver Brexit Boris and call one where it is just you v me, no Nige or Swinson to worry about)

20. Burndenpark

But there was less raised by consumption taxes on more basic items and more through tax on luxury items wasn't there?