1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Because it is hugely complicated in practice.

As we are all seeing.

Day after day.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  2. Scintillant

tenor.gif

3. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

Deciding what to do next is hugely complicated. Leaving the EU is not. It is so uncomplicated that all the government has to do is NOTHING and we will leave on 29th March.

4. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

You think you are so clever and yet you come across as so stupid with your childish videos.

Can you really not see the difference between leaving the EU and deciding our future relationship with the EU? There are even two totally different agreements to help you understand. One to conclude now, one to be considered in the future.

There are all sorts of possible future arrangements, which are the things you are finding complicated. The process of leaving, on the other hand, is relatively simple. It is a binary choice. Either do it or don't.

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Even though they a;ready ARE treated differently in a number of areas, e.g. abortion.

monicabilongame and FrankWolley like this.
  6. Scintillant

GIFs fella, not videos.

I told you it was a daft idea.

Don't take it out on me.

[​IMG]

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The notion of democracy is as fluid as a day's long. Back in the days when democracy was invented, it dealt with questions like "Ere look, all those blokes in the next village have gone to war, everyone who thinks we could nip over there, steal their women and food stocks say aye."

They claim we live in a democratic nation, and if you believe we do, @dumpty, perhaps you'd like to explain how in a democracy, Thatcher was able to get into power and ruin the nation with a pathetic 40% of the vote. 60% of the electorate made it absolutely clear enough, that they didn't want her running the country, yet we still ended up being ruled by the mad cow.

When you can come back with a definition of democracy that everyone understands as being fair all round, I'm open to be convinced that democracy might be a good idea.

At this moment in time, having suffered the misery of the Thatcher years, I'll need a better definition of what passes for democracy than you imagine it might be.

8. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

We are a representative democracy.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Representative of exactly what? What Joe public wants or what powerful business interests want?

10. Photo51

Google it.

11. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Doesn't matter if they sell it or not- is it a Customs Union or not?
    That's what we were talking about- not how good it is or isn't.

And how exactly do you come to that conclusion?

I made them, but unfortunately many of those I argued with had another agenda which usually only came out after their rational arguments failed- usually it involved foreigners taking things like houses, jobs, NHS treatment, benefits...

True, by the same token if you plug in an electric toaster then wee on it you might develop super powers- No-one knows how it will develop- are you willing to give that a shot too?

I too would love to see JRM put in a position where he could fail.

I thought it was pretty obvious- three: May's deal, WTO or Remain.

not sure if you meant "what" or "that" there?
    Yes - big numbers do confuse a lot of people. £350 million is so big that it confused the Leave campaign - since they couldn't tell the difference between that and the amount that we do actually send. Now all we need to do is work out the cost of replicating the bureaucracy that we'd outsourced to the EU, and the amount lost in tax revenues and the costs of turning Kent into a car park - trouble is that's going to be 3 big numbers- could be really difficult that one.

Welll if it does turn out bad- how do we know you'll actually muck in and help clear up your mess? You've been an economic migrant before, if things get a bit tough, how do we know you won't bail out again?

Labour want Brexit over before the GE so that they don't get blamed for it- this is going to make 2008 look tame.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  12. Burndenpark

Even with the backstop we'll have left the EU won't we?

You should be worried that all these people are trying to stop us leaving the EU for some technical detail about a backstop.

simple then- I assume you'll be offering to take the hit when the Treasury is trying to balance the books?

13. T34

T34 Established commenter

Do you think having to pay duty on some items is a good reason for violence?

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Representative of what? MPs do not put forth the views of their constituents, they follow the party line. Our "democracy" is neither a true one, nor representative. And the "referendum" was neither, it was "indicative" and as such a snapshot of the moment, bullied and misled by your lot with self interest at heart (which is what is still driving it).

15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

What I think doesn't matter. I'm not a signatory to the Good Friday Agreement....;)

But for those who were, there can't be a hard border:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42180074

16. Burndenpark

That's a wind up post isn't it?

CraigCarterSmith and ilovesooty like this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

18. Photo51

Representative democracy is not about putting forth the views of constituents

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

emerald52 and monicabilongame like this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Its not democracy then is it. Ask Vlad.

monicabilongame likes this.