1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Do you mean to say that our beloved buffoon Boris was telling porkies?

mathsmutt and sodalime like this.
  2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

It's always interesting to find out in what way exactly our beloved politicians are lying to us.

mathsmutt and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  3. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

No just taking a leaf out of Farage's playbook - If you're going to tell a lie tell a big one and keep telling it. Then present over-simplified solutions to complex issues as if they were utter certainties. Preferably with absolutely no reference to reality at all. Sometimes go one further and present some outrageous non-sequitur that is so far off it's "not even wrong".

If it wasn't for the fact that Boris will most likely be "running the country" I would enjoy the prospect of seeing him bump up against reality in October, but I fear he doesnt have the smarts to weasel his way to power by "delivering remain" as @MrMedia likes to say. Like TM he will fall victim to believing his own rhetoric and really and truly think that leaving the EU will save the Tory party. By the time he finds out that it wont, it will be too late for the rest of us.

Guido Fawkes has a lot going for him right now....

4. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Talking of BoJo - there's just been a piece on Ch4 news confirming that the police were called out to BoJo and his G/F's house last night when neighbours reported a noisy altercation taking place.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

One of the surprising things I discovered over my career, was that the easiest person to sell something to is a salesman; and the bigger a BS merchant that salesman is, the easier it is to sell to him.

They get so accustomed to using slick sales techniques, that they can't work out what's going on when they meet an honest salesman who tells it like it is. In fact, they are more likely to think the honest salesman is a right mug and buy more than one of whatever he's flogging.

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Nice neighbour....reported the neighbour recorded Boris and his lady arguing with each other and this was 'so distressing' the neighbour called the police and sent the tape to a newspaper......

racroesus and LondonCanary like this.
  7. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Normally I'd disapprove... but for Johnson I'll make an exception.

sodalime and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

sodalime likes this.
  9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I really don’t think Boris Johnson will deliver the Brexit that Brexiteers think they are getting. He will deliver a Brexit that looks and feels like Remain to everyone but sounds like Brexit. He will do so until such a time that the crowd shouts for Remain and then he will flip to 'changing the EU from within' and letting the people speak etc.

If Johnson was openly Remain and had promised to deliver it I’d be wholly worried. If I was a brexiteer, the last person is trust to deliver Brexit would be Johnson. I’d trust Gove more than Johnson and I’d rather cut my toe off and put it in a bottle of tequila than trust Gove.

mathsmutt likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Mr Johnson, have you stopped beating your girlfriend?

11. EmanuelShadrack

I'm a bit pig-ignorant about a certain matter here, so I'd be grateful to be enlightened.

What happens if Johnson merely does nothing, and lets the clock run down, as May did? Does he need to do anything to get a no-deal Brexit through?

This comment was made in The Guardian:

He has no majority to push through No Deal or May’s Deal, so in other words, he can’t make any sort of Brexit happen. He’ll have to either revoke Article 50, call a second referendum, or a general election

Why exactly does he need a majority, as opposed to simply sitting around twiddling his thumbs?

sodalime likes this.
  12. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

i think he would need to get the approval of parliament due to the fact that there is so much opposition to No Deal and I'm pretty sure that was made clear in an Indicative Vote.
    Don't worry, someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

13. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

He only needs to do something if someone else in Parliament looks like stepping in to take over - twiddle twiddle - then Oliver's army2.0 starts to move - THEN BoJo needs to exit twiddle mode...

14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, I think it’s been made pretty clear that either they will vote to ask the e.U for an extension or bring down the conservative government if he pushes for no deal.

Mind you, mindddd you. That domestic incident, just on the coat tails of the Mark Fields incident is all a bit unpleasant. Still, if Govey can snort cocaine and still almost be PM then anything is possible. It isn’t good though. Old white folks really dislike that sort of thing.

15. Burndenpark

There's a coincidence...

If I was hungry, the last person I'd trust to deliver my pizza would be Johnson

MrMedia likes this.
  16. Burndenpark

If there's no deal and no extension on the agreed date _I'm sure t at means we're out- no matter how many in parliament don't want it.

sodalime likes this.
  17. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

For those with fairly long memories it’s all a bit reminiscent of the last days of the Major government when one Tory MP after another was involved in some sort of scandal. The difference is that bad behaviour was seen as a bad thing then. Johnson’s turned bad behaviour into an art form and is widely respected for it.

18. EmanuelShadrack

For someone to step in, presumably there needs to be some sort of vote of no confidence. I can't see anyone wanting to step in, so Johnson is safe on that account.

Forgive my pig-ignorance (again), but who's Oliver's Army? Farage and co? If Boris brings about no-deal anyway (through inaction), surely he wouldn't be worried about Farage, as he'll have essentially stolen Farage's thunder. The BXP voters could safely vote Tory, to get what they want.
    That's what I thought. Boris might want to be seen to be doing something, to appease the other Tories who might be concerned about losing their seats come the eventual next GE, but essentially his plan is to do sweet FA. He could put as much effort into it as he did the first leadership debate.

What am I missing (if anything)? Viewed like this, no-deal becomes a virtual certainty doesn't it?

19. EmanuelShadrack

How exactly will be government be brought down?

Are we back to the DUP again?

I've just been reading this:

https://www.cityam.com/so-does-dup-really-really-want-no-deal-brexit/

It seems to confirm what I've been thinking. The DUP won't mind no-deal, and a bit more financial bribery wouldn't go amiss either.

20. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

"Oliver's Army" - my slightly whimsical reference to when Oliver Letwin headed up efforts by back bench MP's to take control of the parliamentary agenda from "the government" - last time it led to the multi-vote "none of the above" indicative vote stuff. v2.0 would be some sort of move developing to force (say) revoke or WA or some such binding vote of the HoC in defiance of the stated position of the PM and cabinet.