1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

2. LondonCanary

Two public schoolboys whose fathers' influence/position helped them to become multi-millionaires.
    (Rees-Mogg is slightly richer at the moment)

3. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

If you need to keep posting clarifications, then the original message just wasn't clear.

BTW-= any thoughts on how scrapping the licence fee would lead to a better version of the debate being televised? I keep asking this and you keep ignoring it.
    Is it fair to say that your comment was just an example of an ill-considered rant against anything that is not privately owned?

I really doubt this.

You are assuming that the Tory party have a master plan- I'm sure they don't, that went out of the window when so many senior Tories decided to back Brexit and favour their self interests. In cycling terms - political parties are like the pelathon only usually no one makes a break or not until the final few yards, this time enough made a break very early for the pelathon to stop working.
    It's every man for himself- there are loads there waiting for the opportunity to challenge him and that there are so many means none has much support, not even within their own "team".

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Rubbish.
    You can't buy/influence your way to being a top footballer, top scorer, international player and captain.

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. LondonCanary

Amazing coincidence that Frank junior's dad and uncle were at coach and manager at West Ham when he got the break to join West Ham.

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If he hadn't been good enough that wouldn't have happened.
    If he hadn't been good enough he wouldn't have made it as a top player.

7. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

i was clarify a question.
    I no longer consider that the BBC re value for money, but I am forced to pay the licence fee if I choose to watch any TV channel. Many agree with me judging by how many have signed the petition to get it debated in parliament.
    You do seem not to like the fact that others might disagree with you.

8. border_walker

So do all top footballers make it then or are many never recognised and thus get the input to get to the top.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48720176

A by-election is on the way following a Tory MP conviceted of fiddling his expenses. That's all the government needs when numbers are crucial, ain't it?

Where do they find these clowns? Is it a conditional requirement of being selected as a Tory candidate that you're as bent as a nine pund note?

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Given:
    • the amount of football played across the nation by children of all ages;
    • the number of clubs who have their scouts out watching even under 9 games;
    • the number of football academies there are, to which the promising players are invited - again, from quite a young age;
    • the number of players who grow up attending these academies, of which only a fraction ever make it as professional footballers
    I doubt there are too many players with genuine talent and the capacity for hard work who don't get their chance.

No professional club will carry 'passengers'. If you're not good enough you'll be sold on or let go once your contract expires.

Burndenpark likes this.
  11. border_walker

But some don't!

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Frank junior was by far the best player in the family:

Frank Lampard Snr - 2 caps for England
    Frank Lampard Jnr - 106 caps for England

monicabilongame and chelsea2 like this.
  13. Burndenpark

True, but having found the door easier to open - he still had to prove he was worthy of a seat in the room, as it was he proved to be worthy of a very good seat didn't he?

Yes, of course you were. You seem to need to do an awful lot of "clarify" considering how clear you thought the original message was.

I am happy for others to disagree, even more so if they can string together a coherent argument.

Had the BBC not broadcast the debate at prime-time was any commercial station asking to do it? If not does that mean that you would rather keep that sort of information from the general pubic?

BTW- the TV licence works out at £3 a week? If you go to a cinema to watch a film you'd expect to pay at least double that, if you went to a live show in your local pub/ join a quiz night etc you'd be looking at £5-10 I guess, a concert? >£10- and what is the cost of a football game now?
    What would you suggest as being better value?

I suggest you read his post again- he already covered that.

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

That would be good - the sort of bands/singers we go to start at around £12 but are often £18 or more these days...and I'm not talking about household names!

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Irrelevant really - as I've said, if you're not good enough you won't make it.
    Lampard had talent and was prepared to work hard. He was academically very bright:

Chelsea's all-time record goalscorer has 12 GCSEs at A or A*, including an A in Latin.
    Lampard took an intelligence test in 2009 after which Chelsea's club doctor revealed Lamps had an IQ of "well above 150", putting him in the top 0.5% of the world’s population.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/57e8a711-c677-4de7-be7c-6afef9fb2c8d

But he always wanted to be a footballer, and played in the school teams in a higher age group than his own - a sign of talent - leaving school after his GCSEs.

16. Burndenpark

Yes, £12 is >£10 isn't it? I wasn't talking about big names either (unless they are on the way down and hadn't been that big in the first place)

I don't think I watch much TV - probably in the region of 1-2 hours a night, but for £3 a week I think the BBC is fantastic value, and that's without considering the radio.

harsh-but-fair and chelsea2 like this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't watch TV at all. My sweetheart does, although I can't say how much of her viewing is BBC and how much comes from the subscription services she wants, which cost far more than the licence fee.

I listen to the radio quite a lot though and for that alone, the BBC cost is remarkable value for money.

chelsea2 likes this.
  18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Ahem. Anyway, apologies for cross posting.

So, after wading through oodles of text it seems what Johnson wants to do is to 'leave' the EU, but to do so without the TM deal (which wasn’t a deal but a withdrawal agreement), but instead have a freeze on current arrangements until a new trade agreement is formed under GATT 24 'or whatever'. By which time the only thing he has to do is the same as TM and put the trade agreement to a vote - either parliament or public. In some ways, an identical can kicking event to TM's with the WA.

Here's his statement.
    ...what we want to do is to get a standstill in our current arrangements under Gatt 24, or whatever it happens to be, until such a time as we have negotiated the [free trade agreement].”

So when he says 'Leave with no deal' he actually means, 'leave with no WA' but frozen until such a time as a new trade agreement (estimate currently running at ten years for this) is brokered.

How do Brexiteers feel about the idea that Johnson could be snookering them with some legal flimflam to do a TM mark 2?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    mathsmutt and emerald52 like this.
  19. border_walker

Of course it is - no licence for a radio. So very good value.

20. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Very interesting @MrMedia and your post forced me to do a little reading.

Boris Johnson on tariffs
    [​IMG]
    All the candidates were asked about their plan for the Irish border after Brexit (most want to change the Irish backstop plan negotiated by Theresa May to avoid a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic).

Boris Johnson was challenged by Rory Stewart to detail what tariffs (taxes on imports) would be charged on agricultural goods crossing the border.

He said there would be "no tariffs or quotas" because "what we want to do is get a standstill in our current arrangements under GATT 24" until a free trade deal had been negotiated.

GATT 24 is an article of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade. Supporters of a no-deal Brexit say it would allow the UK to continue to trade with the EU without tariffs for up to 10 years, while the two sides were negotiating a permanent future trade agreement.

But you can't use it in this way - a trade agreement has to be agreed in principle before Article 24 can be used.

It also needs the two sides to agree - the UK can't just impose it on the EU. You can read more about it here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48685344