1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Any ideas about the composition of the cabinet? Will there be a place for Moggie as Education Secretary, insisting that school uniforms should include top hats, waistcoats with albert watch chains and short-sighted kids have to wear monacles?

Burndenpark, emerald52 and sodalime like this.
  2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think Corbyn has got to be made to accept if Labour stays where it is now, that is no-one knows where it is but Corbo is dreaming any GE will have all Labour voters, including those in leave areas catapult him to absolute power. ....is a tad hopeful to say the least.

He probably feels the odds of this happening though are even higher with the Brexit Party helping destroy the Tories in any election.

However, if he can be made to accept a more realistic reality, that becoming a remain party could lead to power (not absolute) then yes, Labour should go all out remain.

Can Corbo accept this - a Lib Dem/Lab coalition? Could anyone???

Power (somewhat realistic) v (the dream of )absolute power?

He has the same issues the Tories have and Brexit is tearing both the mainstream parties to shreds.

For that we must all be truly thankful.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Ahh we can but dream :p

What I love is how so many 'tough talking' MPs all go a little quiet when they see their candidate struggling.

You don't hear Hammond or Rudd being all nasty to Boris so much since it became apparent he is soon going to be calling them in for a chat about 'to P45 or not P45, that is the question....'

Would not surprise me if Stewart suddenly backs Boris tomorrow:D

sodalime likes this.
  4. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Inkwells and feather quills will make a come back . . .being caught smoking behind the Penny Farthing Shed will result in a caning, and girls will again learn the art of correctly retrieving a dropped hanky

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That it's possible to contemplate ideas like these, even in jest, shows how absurd the current Tory Party is.

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yep. With Boris at the helm they'll win with a 90 seat majority.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The opposition is even more of a circus

Burndenpark likes this.
  8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

You missed out the bit about abolishing education for the hoi polloi. There's no need for the riff-raff to be bothering with that, when they should be up chimneys, down mines, or polishing the shoes of their betters.

Burndenpark likes this.
  9. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Just acce3pt that I was correct and you made a silly comment that has made you look daft when I pointed it out.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Not really. It's just identity politics that encourages it.

11. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Yes clearly- what you said was obvious and not in any way confusing, it's just those who are of lower intelligence than you were unable to follow it's subtleties, nor was there really a contradiction in you talking as though both programmes you commented on shared a similar format.

Any thoughts yet about why you would deny the public a chance to see their next PM argue their case? Or do you really think that ITV would have put that debate out in a primetime slot?

12. Burndenpark

Come the glorious day of us taking China's waste for sorting- we'll have full employment from the age of 5- no need for any education beyond identifying different types of plastic, or how to pull the components from a PCB.

Duke of York likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Kwasi Kwarteng certainly had his eye on a prize talking to Cathy Freeman last night.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Tut tut.

15. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

No I didn't I clearly refereed to 2 BBC programmes and their format. Reread what I actually wrote.

16. Burndenpark

I did- and it's so clear that at least 3 of us thought you meant the BBC1 & C4 programmes. Even now you say "and their format" when surely you mean formatS?

At least you are in step - even if everyone else isn't.

Face it- you weren't clear or so many of us wouldn't have taken issue with it.

More importantly- as you object to the licence fee funding things like that- what do you suggest? Keeping the public in the dark or pleading with ITV that they drop their prime time shows for the likes of this?

17. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Is "hoi polloi" unacceptable these days? What's acceptable? "The great unwashed" is a good 'un. I've got a feeling a four-letter variety beginning with "p" is banned. There's also a five-letter one beginning with "p". I'm pretty sure that's not allowed, but I don't think Mogg would use that, since it seems to be fairly modern. (I never heard it in my youth.)

There's always "your sort", "your type", or "the likes of you" for Mogg to choose from.

18. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

"hoi" is the nominative plural of "ho", which is the definite article.

racroesus and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

At the risk of being told off for criticising others' spelling, I think you'll find that 'peasant' has more than five letters. :oops:

sodalime and Burndenpark like this.
  20. Burndenpark

Thing is in Labour there are only a few that I can see who actually want Brexit- just that somehow one of those was put in charge and is sticking to his guns... in secret, while leaving other options open so that he's not deposed.

https://www.markpack.org.uk/155623/voting-intention-opinion-poll-scorecard/

Most polls seem to be showing a 4 way split with Con, Lab, BXP & Anti-Brexit all around the same point. Labour really should be asking themselves why they are not polling dramatically better. Labour are not going to pick up many votes from BXP no matter what they do- the bulk of their support comes from Tories and didn't vote, but with a better leader and a clear position Labour would be taking from both the Tories and the Anti-Brexit parties. How can anyone in Labour think that the closet racists of the BXP are ever going to support a party that could put someone like of Diane Abbot in a cabinet?

EmanuelShadrack likes this.