1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

upload_2019-6-19_17-59-42.jpeg

2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Stewart is out!

dumpty likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Stewart out.

4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Just wondering if maybe you need to work on your communication skills and logical thinking?

You say " I was clearly talking about the one last night on the BBC." but three of us thought otherwise strongly enough to point out that the first debate was on C4- so you weren't really that clear were you?
    It doesn't help that you mentioned "The format was rubbish" which implies that the two programmes you were talking about had the same format.

You also object to the licence fee- which commercial stations were offering to screen "the debate and the analysis that followed it"? Were ITV going to give Love Island a night off? Or Dave going to push their repeats back a couple of hours? Or would you just rather not allow people to see what their next PM is like?

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Man, I thought I was quick....you must be a Brexit Party member :D

sodalime likes this.
  6. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Oi! Behave :p

Boris and Gove or Boris and Hunt in the final? Hmm, could go either way.
    I reckon Gove shafted Stewart today . . . bet there's an interesting wee back story

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Probably Boris and Hunt, although I see Gove has closed the gap a bit today.

Stewart didn't perform well last night, and I've heard that many are put off by his very strange body language - whereas Hunt is always as cool as the proverbial cucumber.

Unsurprisingly, BoJo's vote went up again (from 126 to 143).

sodalime likes this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think Stewart was too aggressive yesterday and, as you would expect if you are going to take on 4 of our most senior 'professional' MPs, he got caught out.

It became clear all Stewart was offering was May's deal (say what as Hunt said...the one we voted down 3 times!!) and they pushed him almost to admit he too would be like May with the belief 'any deal is better than no deal'.

Political suicide there and then and I am surprised he had not prepared another approach.

So I tend to think those who perhaps were voting to keep Stewart there as a tiny thorn in the debate and to appear allowing balance, just thought 'ah OK that's enough now, he is starting to believe in his own hype'.

chelsea2, dleaf12 and sodalime like this.
  9. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Sod it - Stewart is out... So now we get one of Dumb and Dumber for PM.

I think this brings Brexit closer - not because of what goes on in the UK parliament but because of what is happening in Europe. They have a shift of their own to bother about and so I feel the Euro-federalists will want to steal a march and push for more integration - probably calling it "reform" at the same time, such is Eurospeak. The last thing they want is the UK still in EU to get in the way of those developments when they finally get a new commission up and running.

Meantime back in Westminster, there is no one for the new PM to talk with until autumn when the new EU commission is up and running, by which time Oct31st will be weeks away. Regardless of who is UK PM, the EU will NOT be granting an extension unless its so Ref2 can be held for uk voters to finalise the UK parliament choice, which will be the same as it always was, Hard Brexit, Withdrawal Agreement, Revoke, tho the only ones that would need such a vote would be the last 2 - WA or revoke.

Enjoy this summer - it will be the last one with any sort of prosperity for quite a while i think... :(

EmanuelShadrack and sodalime like this.
  10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Yes, I got the distinct impression during the first debate in particular, that that was indeed the case. It's like the other guys were just tolerating his tokenistic presence, and they closed him out with their body language: you're not in our club!

Interesting, that hadn't occurred to me but i can see that might be the case; almost like sending the toddler to bed after they've had their wee bit of staying up with the adults.

11. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

On the outside, Vesuvius on the inside though. He really struggled to keep his composure during the first 10 minutes of the debate on Ch4.

12. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

[​IMG]

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's odd how people perceive things differently. On another forum devoted to politics, virtually everyone was of the opinion that Stewart was the only candidate talking sense. I have to say I thought the debate was poorly handled. You can't have five people trying to make points at the same time and expect any of them to look good.

On the plus side, Johnson may have 143 votes, but what this actually means is that 170 MPs didn't like the idea of him leading them. Stewarts 27 votes are unlikely to increase support for Johnson.

Javid will probably drop out before the next vote, so it will be interesting to see how the 65 votes he and Stewart got get distributed and how many who voted tactically for the other candidates switch allegiance.

I listened to a radio programme a week or so ago which was about how the Tory Party go about electing a leader. Iain Duncan Smith was one of the contributors and commented that you will never find a voter more duplicitous than a Tory MP in a leadership election.

sodalime likes this.
  14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Finally - IDS talking about something he understands.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Incidentally, does anyone know why Boris turned up without his trousers?

[​IMG]

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The new commission takes over November 1st, which is why the extension ends October 31st.

17. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

OMG! so its Hunt and BoJo then???

Untitled.png
    Gawd 'elp us!

chelsea2, sodalime and harsh-but-fair like this.
  18. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Yip. The only thing we need to agree upon now, is which one is Dumb and which, Dumber ;)

19. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Well one is a useless duplicitous Chunt, and the other is called Jeremy - take your pick!

EmanuelShadrack and sodalime like this.
  20. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Speaking of duplicitous chunts called Jeremy...

It seems attempts to nail that jellyfish to the wall continue..
    "Mr Corbyn told colleagues on Wednesday afternoon it was 'right to demand any deal is put to a public vote'.

Speaking at a shadow cabinet meeting, Mr Corbyn said he would be listening to colleagues and consulting with trade unions before officially setting out Labour's position next week."
    Its going to be an interesting parliament that Dumb (or Dumber) confronts after the summer...

sodalime likes this.