1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I still retain some higher brain functions.

sodalime likes this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yes, Master.

sodalime likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

This forum, it’s so like a bar full of Liverpool and Man Utd fans before a tight match.

Now, thanks @dleaf12 - I’d forgotten that you could push any bill through parliament so long as you tack on a Ref 2. What about if you said a ref 2 on any 'final' deal. As you know, this isn’t a deal, this is a road map to transition from this point to a future deal. I believe this was the original boot it up the road plan so it could be that Johnson is playing the original long game card. I really wouldn’t, if I was a brexiteer, trust any of them to deliver it no matter how much you really want them to. And the ones I’d least trust would be, in order: Johnson, Gove, Hunt, Javid, Stewart. As a brexiteer. As a remainer, to deliver Remain, I’d trust Johnson, Hunt, Stewart Javid and Gove in that order. Contradictory I know, but Gove I really don’t trust on anything.

50/50 on Stewart tonight. He’s officially liaising with Gove, but Gove would never concede to anyone.

sodalime likes this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

My money is on Boris winning and Hunt edging more towards the number 2 winner.

Then Gove and a close run off between Stewart and Javid. Stewart has apparently said he is talking to Gove about joining forces....how does that work??

sodalime likes this.
  5. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I don't think I'd ever bully. I was about to write "I might hector though, mildly", but thought I'd check out "hector" before posting, and to my surprise it seems to mean the same as "bully". Well, there's a thing.

Can't think of a decent word - "banter" isn't oppositional enough, and "heckle" makes me think of comedians.

God doesn't seem to have got round to striking me down. I expect he's got better things to do. No, hang on, it's all part of his unfathomable plan.

racroesus and sodalime like this.
  6. EmanuelShadrack

Such matches don't exist any more :D

MrMedia and chelsea2 like this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It doesn't.
    They both want to be top dog.
    So they're not.

dumpty, florian gassmann and sodalime like this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Well he put precisely £84.81 back in my pocket over 8 years - £10.60 a year.

Maybe I should invoice him for the other £360.19? ;)

chelsea2 and sodalime like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Sorry - I've only just noticed that burajda made this very same point yesterday.

The other £360.19 is what some think Ken Livingstone would have wanted from you, had he continued as mayor.

10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

i agree. But are they discussing combining their vote share . . . is such a thing even permitted?

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

12. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Badger?

Burndenpark likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Typical Johnson to claim credit for a 50% fall in the murder rate. Why was the Mayor responsible for achieving that? The Mayor of London doesn't control or fund the Metropolitan Police - that's the Home Office - and doesn't control or fund youth services or education - that's the individual London Boroughs.

14. EmanuelShadrack

That's a splendid word, yes.

Also brings to mind the amusing character from "Breaking Bad".

sodalime likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

People with a good vocabulary, eh?

sodalime likes this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Can I report badgering?

EmanuelShadrack and sodalime like this.
  17. Rott Weiler

As I recall it (I haven't researched this) even if it were true that Livingstone's policies would have cost that his major campaign pledge was to keep bus and tube fares down. Johnson put them up higher than Livingstone had intended. So Johnson's claim would amount to 'I'll take another £360 off your council tax bill but you'll pay it back to me, and more, in higher fares.'

As you and burajda say, all smoke and mirrors.

18. EmanuelShadrack

No no. Didn't you see the Caped Conniver Crusader, single-handedly fighting crime, and beating people up? Or getting other people to beat people up - let's not split hairs.

sodalime and Rott Weiler like this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

I humbly apologize for having badgered you. It was a moment of madness which, given the passage of time, I now deeply regret.

I'm sure many people have done some badgering in their time, particularly in their youth. I'm only human.

Certain people on that panel are also known for their rogering, but I won't go into that here.

sodalime likes this.
  20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Or "spin" as New Labour called it.

sodalime likes this.