1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Did we have a choice on privatization? Did Labour reverse it? Did Labour reverse anti-Trade Union legislation?

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The Royal 'WE':rolleyes: SE 'WE' generally.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is about choosing what is right for the UK and if that means a bit of cherry picking from each then I am all for it.

I see you have ignored the very heavy Industry/finance/banking influence on BREXIT.

We have a problem with our democracy, it is tied into industry/finance/banking they all spend billions lobbying to get what they want and then the FPTP system disenfranchises around 2/3 of the voters at most GE elections. It is noticeable that the referendum was a first step away from vested interests and into what the people want.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Given his wife is German it didn't need any effort from Farage to ensure she had a German passport. Doubtful Farage himself has one other than in Facebook gossip.

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Most of them do that. I can think of one or two who do not but they are not candidates.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Like him you are equally free to have another passport.

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Again no, any decision made by Parliament can be overturned by another vote.

The original position was untenable that's why it changed.

Just because something is meaningless does not mean that it is without influence.

Again meaningless and influence are not the same thing.

Actually yes we can, it has always been the case.

Are you kidding? A new PM comes in elected by 120,00 or so members and you think that they then have a mandate to drag this nation out of the EU without a deal when this wasn't even mentioned during the run up to the referendum?

Of course he had a choice, the choice he made was a wild gamble.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Does kinda require parliament to have a majority of some kind.

Which they've singularly failed to express in recent months.

9. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

True but the point is that there is no structural impediment.

10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

What are the current numbers after the change uk movement? Presumably the DUP are only just scraping them over the line? No Deal Brexit would of course threaten the union so I don’t see them voting for anything quite like that. This being the Brexit years anything is possible.
    Sinn Fein to vote with Corbyn? How many Tory MPs moving to Change Uk would it take for Change UK to be able to deliver the no confidence vote?

11. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Tories are on 313. If you put all the other parties together (minus the DUP) then you get 314, so the DUP are power brokers whichever way.

Parliament is basically like a pencil balanced on its tip. It may be upright but it is very unstable. In particular, getting anything across the line requires cross party collaboration.

mathsmutt likes this.
  12. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Supported the vote of course. Which mps are the most laziest and egotistical?

13. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

He's just tried to support one Brexit backing leader.

It may (no pun- just a laughing stock) not have been your version of Brexit, but she was pushing a Brexit.

Sorry- but anything that means we are no longer an EU member fulfills the referendum.

Not quite but good try.

From your what they want list- which of those will be different for the Brexiteers? Which of those do not apply in say the USA? And where do many of the lead Brexiteers want us to be more like?
    for example
    "3 people who will passively accept increasingly sh177y jobs on low pay, longer hours and reduced benefits" - most Brexiteers want to cut red-tape, how are you going to ensure things like training, Health & Safety, Hygiene, trading standards, minimum wage AND cut red tape?

From your what the do NOT want list
    Again- which of those will be different for the Brexiteers? Which of those do not apply in say the USA? And where do many of the lead Brexiteers want us to be more like?

Which Brexiteers have supported an increase in the welfare state as opposed to a decrease in it? Which of them want to spend more on keeping the "the disabled, the elderly in particular those pensioners on decent pensions" (that can't happen if you cut taxes).

I know you can read this, I also fully expect you to avoid answering it, cos you know that you are talking sheer poppy-****. You say that you want better benefits for the sick and old, you say that you want better working conditions- and somehow you think the best way to get that is by backing people who want to cut taxes and remove regulations. No doubt you expect that the best way to lose weight is to eat more chocolate?

14. Happygopolitely

Whatever happens next - its time to Leave the eu now without a deal. Leave means Leave. And Brexit will not go away no matter what many subversive and unaccountable mps try to do to change the vote of the people.

15. Happygopolitely

Agree. Farage has been incredible. He has, along with 17.4 million voters exposed subversive uk mps. And the world knows better now. Cue eu results..

16. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

As the Brexit Party takes a third of the third of the voters that turned out, the pro Remain takes just over a third of the third of the voters that turned out. It seems there is no appetite for a compromise position for remainers or Brexiteers.

It is out with no deal or fully in the EU. The next GE or referendum will be along these lines. Cue @Happygopolitely to say this already happened.

17. Happygopolitely

A party that formed approx 6 weeks a go has made it clear. Winning Brexit voters still want to Leave - and that my friends is the message over and over and over again. Our divided, polarised country is in need of accountable, trustworthy, hardworking and reliable mps who understand and represent their people. We voted to Leave - and we still have not left.

Cue a change of Groundhog Day posting at last which has wrongly claimed there is no appetite to Leave for so long.

Paradoxically by leaving with no deal - eu may well panic into giving one. Brexit is happening and uk mps should be ashamed of themselves for being so cowardly, hesitant and slow in listening to the people and the vote.

18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I presume you woldu never vote UKIP or Brexit Party then...

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

You are making the assumption all Green voters are remainers and that all their votes were for that cause alone?

There were only two parties with 100% clear pro or anti Brexit stances. The one only 6 weeks or so old came, saw and conquered - defeating parties of age old tradition, contacts and establishment backing.

I get why some remainers are desperately trying now to scoop all the pro EU party votes together, even though they could not even agree on a candidate to stand in Peterborough and defeated their own moves for 2nd referendums.

The point here is how the Tories react to a result where millions have not only endorsed Brexit but a WTO Brexit.

That was the only super clear, non debatable result last night. The largest single winning party stood on a WTO Brexit.

And cleaned up.

Happygopolitely likes this.
  20. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Was that the issue?

True, not something I have ever denied but until they do that, the present law says we leave on October 31st. Which is what I did say.

You talk as if you were party to all talks at all times. What original position??? That we would leave the SM and CU? That is not an impossibility.

Meaningful or meaningless is opinion. To suggest the whole EU debate (or the parts you do not agree with) was without meaning is, I presume, based on your notion it can all be changed by the HoC anyhow.

A good and solid theory. I guess I could have avoided any debate on the EEC and EU as over the last 45 years parliament could indeed have decided to take us out of the EEC or EU.

Yeah, right.

On what basis do you know the EU will not re-negotiate (if of course we do get a PM that makes no deal a real threat)?

But did you not say the referendum was meaningless? We were all duped by it?

May said 'no deal is better than a bad deal'many times before we elected her/the Tories. That is not the same as you now infer as people all saying they only back no deal.

The Tory manifesto says we are leaving the SM and CU. If Boris or whoever says they will do that, that is what they were voted in to do and that yes, no deal is the backstop.

You are again pretending you know the exact position. Who has said they are going to 'drag us out with no deal'?

Who?

One that gave him a majority in parliament.

Happygopolitely likes this.