1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

I wonder how she can share a platform with the Marxists that are also standing for the Brexit Party.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's only a single-issue party as far as the European Elections are concerned.

3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

That sums it up. The Brexit Party are united by one common goal, if divided in absolutely everything else, but the Remainers cannot sink their differences and create a successful Remain Party for these elections even as catastrophe stares them in the face.

4. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Barriers that we have in the eu- Distant Mps and remainers not accepting change will continue to be barriers with gender equality, race , people say and a multicultural society . Institutional racism in the uk and the eu has been seen for some time now needs to be addressed. I would like to see more voting too and a people having more of a say.

Clearly the uk political system is sadly a mess. And the Brexit win has revealed the weakness of too many mps. So more mps being made accountable has to be a top priority. And a real listening to the votes and say of people of all cultures, religions and gender.

alexei_yanovich likes this.
  5. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

I genuinely do not get the fear of The Brexit Party

A bunch of self serving vain city boys and girls manipulating the bewildered into voting for zero policies to make a point that makes little to no sense

I mean NO DEAL cool....you still have to negotiate some sort of terms in the future and amazingly insulting the other side probably won't get you far except maybe isolate those who are even mildly sympathetic to the cause

I don't need a remain majority party, ill vote for an actual party with polices....like a grown up

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Yep. If the Tories voted for the proposal put forward by their own leader it would pass, and they wouldn't need support from the people who are supposed to oppose them and find fault in their proposals.

1) Why would I look at your profile page.
    2) You may need to check up on the rules about sexual equality at work- they even let women into combat roles in the forces and male midwives - I think these were the last two exclusive bastions to fall FYI I do literally know dozens of males in the jobs you list.

7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I've looked at your profile page.

I presume what you're getting at is that "Matron" signifies that you are female, and thus Burndenpark made an erroneous assumption that you were male. I too thought you were male, probably as a result of the "SirPurrAlot" username.

Was there something else from your profile page that was relevant?

As yet, I haven't been able to determine the male equivalent of "Matron". In the British Armed Forces, the term is used for both female and male:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matron

If indeed the same term is used for both sexes, then as far as I can see, there is nothing from your profile page whatsoever that would suggest that you were female.

I eagerly await your corrections.

monicabilongame and Burndenpark like this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I should point out that in the 1990's when The English could nip across the channel to load up on cigarettes and booze the Northern Irish who wished to take advantage of similar price differentials in fuel would be stopped and fined by customs.

9. Burndenpark

The reaction posts on their websites are rather niche. I'm talking about the bits that are read by tens of thousands in the UK not a few dozen world wide.

Again- if you feel they are printing misleading articles- report them.

I do honestly and humbly apologise, that is the impression I had got. Yes you have said the EU is not all bad, but I struggle to think of anything that you have not objected to about it.
    Sorry- I was not intending to make things up.

There would be quite a few worthy of mention though- you must admit that? There were, what? five different leave campaigns? Each with its own leaders, strategists, backers, spokes men, press officers? I don't really think it would have been practical for him to give a role call of all of "those who promoted Brexit without even a sketch of a plan of how to carry it out safely" do you?

No, I'm just a bit irked that after all the talk by some Brexiteers about PC and snowflakes, yet they aren't slow at hitting the report button on my posts or crying that Tusk said they personally deserve to go to hell.

I didn't say that. I admit the EU isn't perfect...
    However - I gave you 3 front pages from national papers from well before the referendum- can you offer any pro-EU stories given similar prominence?

Most people don't remember individual stories or articles, they do remember headlines. Much of what the EU does is boring day to day stuff, tweaking a regulation here, supporting a development plan there, even the big stuff is pretty dull- even bringing out the Euro- most people's reaction EU wide was "meh- well I suppose at least I don't need to exchange currency any longer"

I was actually asking for counter evidence. I said and have offered evidence that a majority of Brexiteers were fuelled by xenophobia or outright racism. You say they weren't- can you offer any evidence to support your counter claim? I'm not asking for numbers- just ball park percentages- why don't you start off by saying less or more than 50% and why? I've already said over 50%.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Presumably the RoI will do it since they don't belong to Schengen.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The crossing isn't as far as the channel crossing but the jellyfish are killers. It is more difficult for swimmers than the Channel.

12. Burndenpark

I can't think of any male matrons off hand that I know personally, but there are loads of male HCAs and Nurses...

Just checked our management structure- it includes matrons called Andrew, Andy, Geoff, - I didn't check all departments, and I know it's a bit stereotypical, but these usually are boy's names.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You have no idea what it will involve but it will be better for you than being in Europe?

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So Northern Ireland have been abandon but the Scots imprisoned?

15. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

That seems to be what is happening, they are going to delay and delay and delay Brexit until it never happens.

MrMedia likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Hopefully - I don't understand the rush to poverty

17. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

@nixsmith has it spot on. How do you both remain and leave? Kick the can on.

Well, we are currently. Mind you, having read what they said to labour about the WA it seems this is the Remain contingency plan. Any future trade deal will have to be put to a meaningful vote (after some kind of Grieve style intervention) and the clamour to be put to the people will be just as bad as it is now.

In other words, what you are seeing now is just a pre run of what you will see. I don’t think they were expecting to not pass the WA. I think they thought that might have legs. It’s an absolute bonus that the snap election has delivered an extra layer of delay. We might never have to use the WA delay. We might even get to remain on this delay.

We are not leaving. Even if you think we've left, it will be taken away from you. At some point the Forrest Gump at the carousel moment will occcur.

18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Is there not a risk that one of the EU member states will not agree to the can-kicking?

20. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Oh quite possibly, but no.