1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Thank you for the information. It's a shame there isn't some sort of "Brodie's Notes" for "TES History".

Burndenpark likes this.
  2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I do wish you would make your mind up, 17.4million people voted to crash the economy, within your "logic" Labour are only supporting the will of the people aren't they?

As it would had the ERG & DUP voted for it rather than against it.

I notice your fragile ego is still stopping you from admitting your earlier mistake..

No don't worry - your carer plan safe.

Which doesn't contradict what I said. "Why should Labour vote for the WA? Their leader did not have any part in forming it"
    There was nothing to stop May from consulting Labour 3 years ago, and had she done and formulated the WA with their help there's every chance that they would have voted for it.

As it stands, it is a Tory WA, only the Tories are not all willing to back it- in spite of having the numbers (with the Labour defectors & DUP) to pass it. Why is it that you are unable to understand this?
    It's really not complicated.
    Had the ERG & DUP voted for the WA the last vote would have been
    Against: 344- 34-10 = 300
    For: 286 +34+10 = 330

330 is bigger than 300. No need for Labour to change their vote, just for the Tories to back their "leader"

Yeah, but it must be embarrassing for him, he's set aside some time from his busy schedule in order to try to make someone look foolish. Unfortunately he succeeded
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

3. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

Delay, delay, delay and more delay.

British firms have repeatedly said that they don't care whether the UK is in or out of the EU - they can cope with either scenario. What they cannot cope with is the indecision which prevents investment, loses customers and sees jobs departing for the continent.

Now we see Tom Watson saying that there should be a new delay of 6 months in order to have another referendum.

Delay, delay, delay and more delay.

cherie_alamayonaika likes this.
  4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Now if only those 34 tory MPs would back the WA Labour's votes wouldn't matter.

Have you managed to understand the maths now?

5. cherie_alamayonaika

cherie_alamayonaika New commenter

Anti-democratic as ever. True Labour.

6. SirPurrAlot

No, totally the opposite. They are the main obstacle to the UK leaving the EU.

As it would had Labour voted for the WA (which Tom Watson says they shoulod now do prior to seeking confirmation that they have at last managed to do the right thing).

I notice your fragile ego is still stopping you from realising that Labour is the biggest obstacle to getting the Withdrawal Agreement passed.

No chance. Labour has shown that their only interest is playing politics.

Why is it that you are unable to understand this?

It's really not complicated.

Had Labour supported the latest meaningful vote, it would have been passed with 522 votes in favour and only 110 against.

522 is bigger than 110. No need for the DUP and handful of ERG members to change their vote. Just for Labour to do what is right for the country and right for British jobs - the jobs they pretend to protect but are actually destroying with their sitting on the fence.

7. SirPurrAlot

Now, if only those Labour MPs would back the WA, those 34 votes wouldn't matter.

Have you managed to understand the maths yet?

Her.

You are clearly not good at getting things right: read my profile page.

8. EmanuelShadrack

When I looked, it said:

"Healthcare Worker/Matron/Nurse"

Is there something I've missed?

Is "Matron" exclusively female? If so, what would the job title be of a man in the same position?

Burndenpark likes this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I would expect it would be Patron, but I'm no expert. Mind you, if it's important to be gender specific, shouldn't it be DamePurrAlot?

10. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

is this your new account? :D

11. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Only if her cat is female :)

12. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

What is clear is that fake news and false accusations has fast become a failed attempt at real news to try and pigeon hole winning voters. I look forward to a successful multi cultural and democratic society outside of the eu. The people have spoken. When will the 'vote' be heard? We know that 17.4 million voters are already paving the way in uk politics. And being treated like 'pariahs' does not stop the simple truth. The people were asked. And the people have responded.

Leavers are the most patient, gracious and courageous voters. They should be applauded when one considers the nonsense and failed attempts at personal attacks they endure from others.

alexei_yanovich likes this.
  13. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I think many of you fail to understand how politics works in terms of thinking how a sociopath operates.

An MP votes in the way that gives them the most power, accentuates their opportunity for more power and reduces the chance that they could lose power. Brexit is simply one aspect of this.

If you vote against your whip you lose your position - either you resign or you are sacked. Gove himself has decided being in the cabinet is better than resigning over the WA. He saw that the WA wouldn’t be passed and so better to 'have reservations' but stay in power.

Corbyn cares more about being PM than he does about Brexit. It has always been the case that the person who delivers both remain and Brexit is the person who will be PM. Currently, TM is doing this very well. We’ve had 3 years so far of both remaining whilst leaving.

What 17m people voted for in an advisory referendum is immaterial. MPs will vote the way they have to. The reason they aren’t voting for Brexit is because the referendum was advisory and having taken the advice they have seen it removes power from them.

The whole argument of Brexit is immaterial. It is about who can use Brexit to become PM (TM did) and who can use Brexit to access power (Johnson, Gove, Hunt, Reece-Mogg, Starmer, Corbyn).

EmanuelShadrack and sodalime like this.
  14. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Its Groundhog Day responses again. What many remainers fail to see is the referendum leaflet assurance provided by the govt that the Outcome would be 'implemented'. Been there - done that discussion - won that. The whole argument of Brexit is very material considering that 17.4 million voters are already reshaping uk.politics. Now some remainers may think that immaterial.

15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The Independent regularly deletes my posts whenever it feels I have made a decent point about Brexit. To their credit, a few remain posters have complained about this on my behalf - all ignored.

Like I said, I don't take agenda based nonsense or tactics as seriously as you do. It is all part of the game. If we had voted remain I would not be blaming the Indy or Guardian for censoring debate and removing pro Brexit posts from me and others.

There is not much I can do if you consistently make things up. I have said many times, on this thread and before the referendum that the EU is not all bad.

I just see leaving as being preferable.

Same here - is all part of the game.

According to you. Fact is he still did not name anyone specific, hence he was - as he said - being deliberate in wanting a larger reaction.

You read too much into things again. And this whole debate really isn't about who are the tough guys, surely? Everyone reacts differently to different situations.

It really is no big deal.

You again seem to think only anti EU statements were spin and lies - and perhaps more worrying, seem unable to concede that there were and are articles written against the EU that had or have a point.

No, I have said there is no evidence for your claim it was heavily racist based, or whatever you now say (as I admit I am a little lost where you now are going with this, see below).

Man, your posts can be so circular. But interesting how you now say 'played hardly any effect'. If that was your opinion before and throughout then I will apologise for misunderstanding you completely.

I thought you were trying to say it (racism/xenophobia) was heavily influential.

Again - and this must be the 10th time - I agree there were some folk who voted for nasty/racist reasons but you cannot put a figure on how many.

That was all I asked - back up this rant with some evidence and hard figures.

You cannot. You never could.

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Remember - we were talking about the mindset of the young. I relate it all to opportunity.

If we start to trade even more with the USA after Brexit then slowly but surely the young in particular start focusing minds in that direction (or anywhere else named) just as they do now with the EU.

Sure, it is not awful but it can be better and if that leads to more opportunity I feel the young in particular will thank us for it.

Possibly, who knows? Lots of work for young teachers in China right now. Not that I am young and the pollution had me leave after 3 months.

17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The TN-1 visa is a Canadian citizen only visa, for example.

Here is a decent explanation of it and how it favours Canadians. Indeed, it is only for Canadians!

https://workpermit.com/immigration/usa/us-tn-1-visa-canadians

It is a good example of what I am arguing for - it eases access for Canadians and that any new visa category likewise open to British citizens leads to more opportunity which those it covers will be thankful for.

18. EmanuelShadrack

There really is no doubt. Peakster was right.

The only thing missing is a certain reference to Greek mythology.

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

And a load of passive aggressive emojis

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I think it'a computer bot.
    We keep getting the same statements posted over and over again, but in a different order (shades of Eric Morecambe, but much less amusing).

Happygopolitely likes this.