1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

As do those who took us into a common market that morphed into a monolithic dictatorship.

alex_teccy likes this.
  2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Remainers are responsible for the delays in leaving.

alex_teccy and dumpty like this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I wonder who will be the first volunteers?
    My guess is it will not be the AGW brigade or remainers for that matter.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Not sure how you can so consistently miss the point but you do have, an unenviable record in not being able to grasp the context of a conversation. So, it is all tickety boo.

alex_teccy and border_walker like this.
  5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

No I didn't say that- if you would like to check though, before we started chlorinating water we tended either to boil it or add alcohol to it (small beer) to kill off at least some of the things living in it.

Why "over population by humans"? If you really want to drink water that is enriched by fish excrement and decomposing water voles I'm sure there's a canal nearby, or if you prefer cow urine I expect you can find a brook that passes through a farm- personally I'll opt for tap water that's been treated with chlorine.
    You may note- fish and water voles would be there with or without "over population by humans" and the same is probably true of cows on farms.

You could take off your rose coloured glasses- the distant past was not happy milk maids skipping though meadows without fear of disease and expecting a long and happy life. Why is it that so many Brexiteers have so little knowledge of history?

In some places the level of sanitation is worse than others- why is it that you are willing to support that?

oh a cull.
    On what basis would you like to see people culled? Age- to me that is the sensible one if we have to use one, but many of the Brexiteers seem to be less keen on that. We've had the idea of racial culls hinted at recently- is that something you would support? Or would you opt for some sort of other qualification?
    Oh and after your cull- you would still need to do something to make the surface water safe to drink- I guess we could all go back to having small beer all the time?

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. Burndenpark

Lexus- was English a language you ever learned?
    BW said
    Either the need for both is wrong or both are acceptable
    I replied
    - you think that because we get 2/3 of our drinking water from surface water that means it's OK to keep animals in unsanitary conditions?
    (2/3 of our water is from surface water and needs to be treated so that we aren't drinking fish excrement and rotting water vole)
    Then having failed to understand what BW or I had said - you decided to weigh in and demonstrate your inability to understand simple English again.

You mean the ERG and Arleen Foster's lot?

For what?

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Ah, where have you been? I have so missed your insightful commentary:rolleyes:

alex_teccy likes this.
  8. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

It is odd that whenever the need to reduce the human population is mentioned, the old arguement of culling is used. You can reduce the population without the need for culling, even though culling would achieve it quicker.
    If you think that farm animal are kept in sanitary conditions then you have seen very few farms in this country. I suspect that I have had a greater experience of agriculture and its history. Although your skipping milkmaid didn't have to fear smallpox.

alex_teccy and lexus300 like this.
  9. Burndenpark

It's not as odd as the speed with which you run away from points that have been made.
    Why exactly do you think that small beer was the drink of choice- the flavour of the nasties in the untreated water?

I think you may well be more experienced in agriculture than I am, I mean there must be something about which you actually do have experience, clearly it's not science, history, economics or engineering- watching cows all day may well be your thing.
    Now back to the subject in hand- Assuming you have finally managed to understand why we object to importing chlorinated chicken from the USA - can you explain why you wish us to conform to US food standards having just taken back control?

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I now live in a largely agricultural area and grew up in rural Cheshire. The farmers I knew and know now, care for their beasts and produce good healthy food. Most farmers care deeply about the conditions they keep their animals/birds in.

alex_teccy likes this.
  11. border_walker

Needed due to too many people living in a small area polluting the water. Done for the same reason as chlorination. I thought that you were making my case with that comment.

alex_teccy likes this.
  12. border_walker

Please quote where I said this. I never have. Just that the need to do so is not really that different. But I see you are admitting to loosing the argument again as you are back to trying insults again. seems to be a common trait when you are proved wrong.

13. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think IDS is more using the financial traps there as leverage for walking away. WA or not, we either compromise (both sides) and get a deal, or we do not.

Many MPS were well angry at the amount(s) still to be paid to the EU and so with there appearing to be a chance we could walk, they are coming to the fore again.

I am in little doubt there will be a deal struck but I could see we and the EU going to WTO rules as a decoy (let's look tough) and also to use it to see who then comes back to the table willing to compromise more.

alex_teccy likes this.
  15. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

If the best brains in (or working for) the Government don't understand the meaning of the treaties we sign, l don't think we dare try to go it alone... or heaven help us in future.

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

That is of course a fair point but I seriously doubt the MEPs (even the EU commission) read and digest every legal text or vote they are called to take.

Of course it could be (I'm not convinced but you never know) IDS et al knew the WA would throw up issues of this kind and new bills for many millions - making it very hard for Boris not to walk, at least away from that part as best he can.

Hence yes, I read elsewhere he is calling for it to be removed from the WA - the EU will go nuts of course.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

IDS:

But it gets worse. Buried in the fine print, unnoticed by many, is the fact we remain hooked into the EU’s loan book.

You cannot be half in the EU and half out, and in this, the problem is the WA.

It costs too much and it denies us true national independence.

This WA giving the EU future control over us has to go.

17. Burndenpark

SOrry- I thought you were arguing that it's OK for us to import chlorinated chicken as the US is instructing us to do.
    And using the excuse that since we chlorinate our water rather than having to drink small beer or boil everything first that makes everything OK.

Yes, of course.
    You insulting our intelligence doesn't count though does it?
    Claiming that the only reason we need to clean surface water to make it drinkable is because there are too many humans? Ignoring the many parasites, and germs that are transmitted through surface water? Ignoring the long history of man trying to avoid those even when the numbers were far smaller?

Were you really ignorant of these facts?

As for your wish to reduce the number of people- the main problem there is increasing longevity rather than birth rate. Many countries are reproducing at lower than replacement rates. So at what age would you like to see medical interventions withdrawn?

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

They do. But waste management and slurry is problematic and even with tougher environmental controls water course contamination is still inevitable.

19. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I'm told that our lead negotiator doesn't understand that it isn't possible to make our own rules and trade without barriers with the EU. There is little hope to be had.

20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Probably thinks they need us more than we need them. Having the cake and eating it. etc.

ajrowing likes this.