1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Where I come from if you mouth off in the wrong way you pay for it. It is usually a spur of the moment thing and once the respective honours are satisfied you have a pint.

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I never had you down as lacking in self awareness. In fact you always seem to have a very high opinion of yourself.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Opinions vary.

alex_teccy likes this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We are at liberty to do just the same.

alex_teccy likes this.
  5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I was referring to yours.

And having a high opinion of oneself does not mean a lack of self awareness, as you often prove.

Yes, but usually between people not within the same person.

Yeah- we'll show them, they all need us more than we need them!

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Impossible.

alex_teccy likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Your comments are without substance in other words, meaningless.

alex_teccy likes this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

As a former powerful member of the EU and the nation that really drove the development of the single market, its interesting how the narrative has changed. So the UK at the front under the Thatcher and Major government s and backed up by its free market allies like the Dutch, Danes, Irish, Austrians and to a lesser extent the Germans and Swedes introduced a less protectionist, more anglo saxon type economic model to the EU. This advocated privatisation, market competition, freedom of movement of labour and capital and was designed to enhance business opportunities. So now its really odd that one of key planks of protectionism, state aid to industries, is one of the issues that this conservative government is so keen not to have anything to do with in any future deal with the EU.

ajrowing likes this.
  9. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

to a chemist this is true - i guess you have little understanding of chemistry.

alex_teccy likes this.
  10. border_walker

Both are due to poor husbandry. have often drunk none halogen treated water from wells with no effect - but wasn't contaminated due to over population by humans. Both are due to deficiencies, poor animal management or poor human management. Both are wrong! Both result in contamination that requires disinfectant! Either the need for both is wrong or both are acceptable.

alex_teccy and lexus300 like this.
  11. Burndenpark

Let's just remind you what you said
    The first sentence doesn't actually make sense- my best guess was that you wanted to make the 11year old's observation that "chlorine and water are chemicals"- but you seem to have lost interest in clarifying that after realising what a puerile argument you were making.
    My understanding of chemistry is that the physics of the outer electron shell is interesting, but pretty simple.

How nice for you- and you have often drunk water that fish and other beasties have lived and excreted in:
    About one third of tap water in England and Wales comes from underground sources (aquifers), in Northern Ireland and Scotland this figure is 6% and 3%, respectively. The rest comes from reservoirs, lakes, and rivers. Namely, surface water in the UK accounts for 68% and mixed sources for 4% of the supply.
    https://www.water.org.uk/advice-for-customers/water-and-health/#:~:text=About one third of tap,for 4% of the supply.

What sort of animal husbandry do you suggest would address that problem?

Just check I'm following you here- you think that because we get 2/3 of our drinking water from surface water that means it's OK to keep animals in unsanitary conditions?

12. Burndenpark

lexus300 likes this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

alex_teccy likes this.
  14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

That is a gross distortion that only you are capable of.

alex_teccy likes this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

That pretty much sums up the entire thread :D I think despite some great arguing and point making from everyone, few if any of us have changed our minds re Brexit.

Transition scheduled to end in 5 months now.

16. Burndenpark

About one third of tap water in England and Wales comes from underground sources (aquifers), in Northern Ireland and Scotland this figure is 6% and 3%, respectively. The rest comes from reservoirs, lakes, and rivers. Namely, surface water in the UK accounts for 68% and mixed sources for 4% of the supply.
    https://www.water.org.uk/advice-for-customers/water-and-health/#:~:text=About one third of tap,for 4% of the supply.

Not sure how you come to the idea that 2/3 is a "gross distortion" of 68%, but it is you and you do seem to have your own person dictionary.

17. Burndenpark

Some people put forward arguments and counter-arguments, some even go so far as to find evidence to support their arguments, while Lexus has given up on that and the best he can come up with as support seems usually to come from places like the Creationist Institute or what every they are called.

18. border_walker

So are you saying that before we started chlorinating water people didn't drink surface water?
    You are still missing the point as well as putting words into my mouth that I didn't say. water needs chlorinating due to insanitary conditions created by over population by humans. had we not used chemical methods to intervene nature would have intervened to reduce the population via for example disease. The need for food for the ever increasing human population results in farm animal husbandry that keeps them in insanitary conditions as well. The ideal solution is a big reduction in the human population so that neither live in insanitary conditions. That way we wouldn't need to worry about our surface water being polluted by us or the livestock that we keep intensively.

alex_teccy likes this.
  19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I suspect this will be the Brexiters' mantra once it is blatantly obvious what a mess the UK is in having left, without any proper planning or preparation. None of that 'yes we were wrong' or 'yes we were taken in by the lies' or even a 'sorry' - it will all be 'that was in the past - we are here and must move on'. An obvious statement which shirks any recognition of the responsibility they hold for having helped to put the UK in the mess in the first place.

20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Any divergence or criticism of the 'Lets Get on with it' mantra will be considered unpatriotic. Please make sure you toe the party line or Brexit will not succeed. Remainers will be responsible for any failure.

monicabilongame and Burndenpark like this.