1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I voted Remain, but don't you think we can do agriculture better outside the CAP? How was the CAP good for our environment?

border_walker likes this.
  2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Yep, he is reported as telling the Polish PM (I think) that the EU will be told no extension and if no serious movement very soon he will walk and we have an 'Australian' deal - this is simple mini deals in place so airports can continue for example.

Actually yes, found the link:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-...-if-no-brexit-deal-johnson-says-idUSKBN23Y0J6

Kandahar and lexus300 like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The devil's in the details.
    What % of Australian trade is with the EU? I suspect a lower percentage than we have, so any shortcomings of an Australian deal may be more serious for us.
    WTO rules seem to be about to become fragile.
    Will WTO rules be good for our exporters?
    If they're no good for exports we won't be able to afford imports.

ajrowing likes this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Good points. Australia is a global minnow, over reliant on the price of exporting dust and rocks. But Leavers don't really care about trade though.

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Last time I looked, 43% of UK exports go out under WTO terms.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Just shows how wrong you were.

Kandahar likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I fear that walking could trigger other countries applying heavy tariffs to our exports, and rather than high quality agriculture, race to the bottom industrial farming.
    The people who sponsored the leave campaign have limited interest in our people or the quality or sustainability of our agriculture.
    If we don't agree a deal we get an awful one.

ajrowing likes this.
  9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I meant I wish he would walk and never be seen again.

ilovesooty likes this.
  10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

No I agree - the CAP was badly thought out from the start. It's one of those things that should have been revised ages ago. My doubts are as to whether the potential benefits of "taking back control" in this instance will be realized.

ajrowing likes this.
  11. EmanuelShadrack

This article on the front page of the Telegraph caught my attention:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/06/28/britain-heading-brexit-customs-chaos/

Britain heading for Brexit 'customs chaos'

Concerns raised over new IT system designed to help goods flow across borders

I can't read it all, but I think the gist is clear from the stuff that's free to view.

IT system chaos? No, surely not? It was all going so swimmingly, according to the usual suspects on here. If even the Telegraph are reporting this, maybe it's not just lefty remoaner propaganda.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What about all those Customs people they haven't employed yet ?

ajrowing likes this.
  13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

They are phasing things in:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ds-entering-uk-will-not-apply-until-july-2021

Kandahar likes this.
  14. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

A bit more ...

The Goods Vehicle Movement Service is intended to help goods flow across Britain's borders and cut queues.
    Industry groups said they were only notified about the system in the past fortnight. Unlike France, the UK has still not tested its new customs system.
    Peter MacSwiney, chairman of the HMRC-sponsored joint customs consultative committee, said businesses were already re-routing out of Britain to avoid what they expect will be carnage from January, when the UK leaves the single market.

15. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

I heard it is to be a "world beating" customs system.

EmanuelShadrack and Morninglover like this.
  16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

We don't need them, we've taken back control so its up to the EU control the borders and protect their single market and Customs Union. Let them put in the customs officers and infrastructure. Britain is globalist not protectionist, what could possibly go wrong?

EmanuelShadrack and ajrowing like this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

It was thoroughly revised a few years back. Before reform it was horrendously wasteful, catastrophic for the environment and a source of massive handouts for agri business and wealthy landowners.
    After reform it was much improved to being very wasteful, highly damaging to the environment and a huge source of handouts for agri business and wealthy landowners.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  18. EmanuelShadrack

Well that's OK then :D

I wonder why the Telegraph reported this:

The head of the Government’s own expert customs panel has warned of looming chaos at ports after the “amateurish” handling of a new IT system.

[Peter MacSwiney, chairman of the HMRC-sponsored joint customs consultative committee]:

“The GVMS relies on a flow of data that we don’t have,” he said. “It’s been devised without any thought of how things actually work in the real world. How the hell is the driver going to know what the customs entry is? It’s amateurish.”...

19. EmanuelShadrack

Oh right, you know more about this than I do.

Perhaps their "revision" was based on certain students I'm sure we've all come across.

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter