1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

You can cheer yourself up with the duty frees.

Kandahar likes this.
  2. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Established commenter

There's no such thing as "EU funding". The EU spends the money given to it by member countries. In the case of Britain, we have received, in the past 19 years, approximately £120 BILLION LESS than we have given to the EU. So in reality those billboards should have read "Built with British money after expenses and administration costs were siphoned off by the EU bureaucracy".
    So instead of supporting inefficient and corrupt foreign agriculture among many other inefficient and corrupt foreign organisations, and instead of paying for expensive junkets for EU bureaucrats, we should have left years ago and spent that money on our own people.
    It isn't rocket science.
    But remainers still can't understand it.
    Probably because "they didn't really know what they were voting for", of course. ;)

3. Jonntyboy

Leaving aside the very convenient "story" you heard in the "bar", you and your fellow EU Believers don't need to keep on rubbing it in that you think that people who support/ed Brexit or who disagree with you in any way are stupid. We know you do. You've been telling us that for years. Arguably, you lost an election partly because you told us that. And you are still telling us! You have learned nothing. And you call us stupid! LOL.

install and Kandahar like this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Our illumination is from the land of the rising sun. I'll just get my bugle.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Just remember not to bring more than four bottles of wine back from France.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

So will the EHIC still be valid after Brexit?

Edit- also how much extra so you think car insurance companies are going to charge for covering you in the EU after Brexit?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

By your argument there is no such thing as government/Treasury money either, and they just take workers' money, pay for administration and wages and then spend what's left on communities.
    The trouble for areas requiring regeneration is that the government does not tend to spend enough in those places. The EU, by contrast, has targetted those areas for huge amounts of financial support.
    That voters in those disadvantaged areas have voted for Leave is perplexing. Did they not know how much help thye were getting from the EU? Do they think that they will get more support from the UK government after Brexit? They risk experiencing a whole new kind of austerity once EU funding is gone.

ajrowing likes this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I agree with much of what you say and although 120 billion pounds is a very large amount of money, our net EU contribution was only ever around 1% of our total GDP. So we could have still spent money on our own people and communities. I often wonder why we allowed those regional inequalities to get wider and wider. So neither is it rocket science to deduce that the creation of regional inequality and the lack of action on it were overwhelmingly due to the policies of Westminster not Brussels.

ajrowing likes this.
  9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Or 3% of all the taxes you pay in a year (other time frames are available).

10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Am a bit out in the sticks where it is hard enough finding drinking water let alone the net but can heroically tune in to say how pleased I am Brexit is now on a roll.

Not that I really needed to go through tons of pressure and deals to find a connection so I could tell you that....hardly a surprise I am one very, very happy bunny :)

Time to find some water and celebrate more.

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This was well covered and explained in a report either on the BBC or Ch4 (cannot recall) where they visited a town in Wales that voted leave despite heavy 'EU' funding.

The reporter had a local stand beside a building 'given' by the EU and asked why she voted leave when there were a few examples of such projects in her town.

She replied the locals had and have no say in the decision and despite their attempts to get a new library or youth centre that no, the EU had demanded the building of a grey and -in their view - hopeless office block (or whatever it was). No-one was using the 'gift' from the EU.

And that pretty much sums up the entire wrongs of how the EU works and yes, its incompetence. Had they funded a youth centre then perhaps this town would have been more inclined to support them?

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The EU forced the community to build a hopeless office block? Arent ESF projects mostly done in partnership with local authorities and organisations?
    What will change in that Welsh town post Brexit? I'm sure spanking new youth centres and libraries are on their way. I wonder why the EU forced us to cut them in the first place?

dleaf12 and monicabilongame like this.
  13. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

No we did not.
    Macroeconomic policy pensions and employment - Europe
    Customs union -Europe
    Ecj - supersedes national laws
    freedom of movement- Europe

14. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Not quite. National governments raise taxes on the principle of self determination and representation. The EU is quasi legitimate at best, therefore members make contributions. Given as @Jonntyboy points out, we’re net contributors we’d be better off spending the money ourselves!

Jonntyboy, install and Kandahar like this.
  15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Your EHIC card will be just as valid after 31/1/2020 as it is before. In the longer term, validity beyond the end of the transition period requires the Healthcare (International Arrangements) Bill to pass into law during the next year (it has passed through parliament but has been awaiting the passage of the WAB).

It is not thought likely that the EU will want to end the EHIC arrangement, which benefits 27 million EU visitors to the UK per year, as well as the rather smaller number of Brits who visit the EU.

If your insurance company ups the price of EU cover, you need to shop around for a better deal.

alex_teccy likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

It is celebration time. Brexit at long last.

alex_teccy, dumpty and Kandahar like this.
  17. Jonntyboy

Is this supposed to be some sort of intelligent and/or rational comment?

alex_teccy likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sort of - I posted it to wind up the usual suspects, and it appears to have succeeded.

alex_teccy and dumbbells66 like this.
  19. Jonntyboy

Hmm. Not really. If I'm one of the usual suspects, I'm not at all wound up. I simply posed a genuine question. To which, clearly and unsurprisingly, you have no answer.

alex_teccy likes this.
  20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We had what was allowed by the EU.
    Whether Brexit works well or not at least we will make decisions for ourselves instead of being led by the nose by Brussels.

Jonntyboy likes this.