1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

So what now for Brexit?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Dec 13, 2018.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

That was his winning message ‘I’m not Corbyn'. Which tells you a lot about the choice the public were faced with. I like neither, nor did I like the liberal leader Jo Swinson. A position I think many shared with me. As much as we all say we are ideological, behind a party and so forth, we do like a good leader at the helm.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Thanks, Private Eye:

[​IMG]

3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

There are precedents of unelected bureaucrats governing us.
    [​IMG]

4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The executive is now firmly back in the driving seat as it was under Thatcher and Blair. There will be little chance for MPs of our sovereign Parliament (whether they be DUP, ERG or Remainers) to scrutinise and challenge decisions made in the cabinet. Its really back to national lawmaking and policy being driven by a small committee now.

5. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Aye and many of them didnt hear "I'll Get Brexit Done" but "I'll Get Brexit off the Telly" - at least that's what the take in the bars in Stoke seems to be.

People got bored with the whole issue, because there never was any sensible debate of pro's and con's. Even now, in victory, none of the Brexit Supporters can come up with a reason why leaving the EU benefits this country.

So it seems to gain power here you have to come up with an over-simplified catchy populist slogan then spread lies about the opposition's response and steadfastly refuse to enter any discussion over inconvenient details. Labour should be full of suitable candidates who can do that, surely?

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Our own laws
    Our own regulations
    Our own immigration policy
    Our own fisheries policy
    Our own agricultural policy
    Our own trade agreements when and with whom we choose
    Oh, nearly forgot, our continuing trade and friendly relations with Europe.

Jonntyboy, Jesmond12, install and 2 others like this.
  7. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

And Brexit will help this picture how, exactly?
    [​IMG]

8. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

We had all that before we left.

Life is so straightforward up there in the sunny Brexit uplands isn't it. So go on then. Get Brexit Done. We're waiting. Shouldn't take you long for it to be an undeniable success, seeing as its so simple now, should it.

btw there was one sentiment also expressed in the bar that showed some awareness... "...Boris Johnson? F***g posh boy tory tw**t, don't trust him an inch, but he's got some b*lls, I'l give him that..." they went on to discuss the speed with which the pakistani's would be sent back where they came from post-brexit... ...then one of them queried if this meant Leicester and they fell about laughing...

*sigh* - and on such penetrating analysis such people voted to screw this country over... words really do fail to describe the utter utter stupidity.

9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm replying to your post so you don't feel like a voice crying in the wilderness. The choice has been made. Democracy means we have the right to make mistakes and have successes. One way for this to be a success is if everyone gets behind it and holds the government to account on the decisions they make.

The choice to leave the EU wasn't the governments gift to choose. The people chose to leave the EU. We've put people in power who we feel are the most likely to do as we have said. We'll be watching them like hawks. It's time to move on from the peoples' choice and concentrate on implementation processes. Kick the government but don't kick us. We aren't stupid. We knew what we were doing.

10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

We can make London poorer

install and Kandahar like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm sorry Jude - but you didn't.

The people who have elected this secretive and arrogant government will come to realize that.

dleaf12 and monicabilongame like this.
  12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Although this map shows the whole EU. We have to ask why the UK has such strong regional GDP pc variations and how much of that is down to UK economic decision making. France has far less regional disparity.

[​IMG]

13. burajda

burajda Star commenter

A lot of EU funding went to areas of the UK that voted to Leave. People living in those areas must have been familiar with the billboards for infrastructure work and community projects where the EU flag appeared on it. Those areas voted to Leave so did not recognise or feel the benefit of the EU financial support, so I wonder when the new roads, rail, clinics and training centres start being built in the left behind towns if those communities will actually reward the Tories with their votes of thanks a few years down the road when the Brexit events of 2016-19 fade away.

upload_2019-12-20_13-35-59.png

14. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

That's a hypothetical.

Kandahar likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Vote for the UK to leave the EU on 31 January 2020.

Ayes 358
    Noes 234

Kandahar, Jesmond12 and install like this.
  16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The war is over......the valiant People's Vote ends in utter defeat.

[​IMG]

Kandahar likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The programme motion, outlining how the bill will continue to pass through the commons is the new year, has also been passed by a similar majority.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Kandahar likes this.
  18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Finally after 3 years we have got somewhere. It was good to see that 6 Labour MPs voted with the Government whilst others abstained.

Jonntyboy and Kandahar like this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Well, that's my citizenship rights diminished for when I next cross the Channel, thank you. I'm sure the benefits will all become clear in time. So it's back to Dad's Army Britain on January 31 - that showed Johnny Foreigner eh chaps?

Will the last one out of the Smug Parlour check the light bulb was made in Britain before they turn it off?

monicabilongame likes this.
  20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Do you really stay in the EU for 13 continuous weeks or more after crossing the Channel?

Kandahar and Jesmond12 like this.